To Fantom or not to Fantom ?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm To Fantom or not to Fantom ?

Hoping some one can give me some input on a few uncertianties I have.
    I am thinking of buying the moto Fantom 29 but have questions about the frame on this bike. From what I can desifre from the literature it has the same geometry as the fly. Does any one know if this is true. I believe the Fly is a racing style bike and I question the comfort of riding a bike for long periods of time on this frame design.I also am a little uncertain as to what size frame to order since I can't test ride.
    I have been on a number of Trek 19" and they are just to compact and upright for me. The Gary Fischer 21" is a good fit for me but it is all geometry and I have no idea how the Motobecane will relate? So what is the concensus on the Fantom 29? Yeh or Neh
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by spideybite; 04-30-2008 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If by geometry you mean head angle and seat angle, then yes it is the same as the Fly and 90% of the XC mountain bikes out there. But none of the other measurements are the same at all. The Fantom 29 is way different than the Fly. Top tube length, chainstay length, wheelbase etc. are nothing alike. Comfort is mainly about how a bike fits you. What specifically makes you think it would be uncomfortable? Some things that are uncomfortable about XC race bikes would be long top tubes and seat heights way above the handlebars. Both of these can be avoided with any bike if you get the right size frame. As far as what size you need, that is impossible to say without actually seeing you on the bikes. To order a bike online you really need to have an idea of exactly what you are looking for.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Members who have read this thread: 0