Fantom FB4 Comp- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fantom FB4 Comp

mtbr member
    May 2016

Fantom FB4 Comp

Just got a motobecane Fantom FB4 Comp that didn't come with a front fork but everything else. Does anyone have measurements off what the fork was? Like the rake and spacings? New to this do need help. Thanks

mtbr member
    I assume you got it off bikeisland? It looks to be a 135QR spaced axle, with straight 1 1/8" steer tube. Brake mount is front hub offset.

Similar fork to stock. Sun Cycle Warehouse looks to be the amazon storefront for bikesdirect/bikeisland, so these should be the same/similar.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bicyc.../dp/B019MS02F8

An alternative is the salsa enabler fork. It's what I use on my boris (coincidentally, also bought without a fork). The higher quality steel and design is nice, but it uses a rear offset brake spacing. Easy fix by swapping some of the axle lockdown nuts, but you have to be comfortable taking the hub apart. Easy to do, just be careful about putting it back together.
    Enabler Fork | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I assume you got it off bikeisland? It looks to be a 135QR spaced axle, with straight 1 1/8" steer tube. Brake mount is front hub offset.

Similar fork to stock. Sun Cycle Warehouse looks to be the amazon storefront for bikesdirect/bikeisland, so these should be the same/similar.
    Amazon.com : WAKE MTB Mountain Bike Bicycle Aluminum Alloy Riser Handlebar 720 * 31.8mm New Black : Sports & Outdoors

An alternative is the salsa enabler fork. It's what I use on my boris (coincidentally, also bought without a fork). The higher quality steel and design is nice, but it uses a rear offset brake spacing. Easy fix by swapping some of the axle lockdown nuts, but you have to be comfortable taking the hub apart. Easy to do, just be careful about putting it back together.
    Yes it was from bikeisland. That first link you sent me was handlebars and not a fork. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sorry, my copy/paste kung fu is lacking today. If you look at the other stuff Sun cycle sells, you'll notice a lot of it is very familiar.

http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Integr.../dp/B0145PW1C0
    Amazon.com : Economy 26 Inch 135mm Fat Bike Disc Brake ATB Mountain Bike Fork Threadless Replacement Rigid (Satin Black) : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Sorry, my copy/paste kung fu is lacking today. If you look at the other stuff Sun cycle sells, you'll notice a lot of it is very familiar.

http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Integr.../dp/B0145PW1C0
    Amazon.com : Economy 26 Inch 135mm Fat Bike Disc Brake ATB Mountain Bike Fork Threadless Replacement Rigid (Satin Black) : Sports & Outdoors
    Thank you I'll give one a try. What is the diffrence between them?

mtbr member
    Functionally, I think they're about the same. Color difference. The one with the flare at the top of the crown looks a little better with a bike that has a zero stack headset (Boris), and the one without the flare was for the external bearing cup headset (Gravity bullseye monster).

Since you have to get a new fork, I'd take it as an opportunity to upgrade to something better though. Carbon fiber, surly or salsa fatbike forks. There's some detailed information about using a carbon fiber fatbike fork on the MTBR Boris thread. Fork and lower headset cup.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Functionally, I think they're about the same. Color difference. The one with the flare at the top of the crown looks a little better with a bike that has a zero stack headset (Boris), and the one without the flare was for the external bearing cup headset (Gravity bullseye monster).

Since you have to get a new fork, I'd take it as an opportunity to upgrade to something better though. Carbon fiber, surly or salsa fatbike forks. There's some detailed information about using a carbon fiber fatbike fork on the MTBR Boris thread. Fork and lower headset cup.
    Is there a detailed walk through? I don't know the first thing about that.

mtbr member
    Start here and work your way down the post.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/bor...l#post12605672

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Does anyone know if the front wheel has offset as well in fanthom FB4 elite? nothing is mentioned in the description. Getting one without the wheels and there is a surly offset wheelset available 135mm front back but both wheels have offset.