fantom DS vs other brands FS- Mtbr.com
    Bro Mountainbiker

fantom DS vs other brands FS

Hey guys,

I mainly ride rigid singlespeed but im itchin for a new ride and i wanna have some variety in my stable.
    I ride rigid because i like power transfer. So suspension bob is going to be my main issue when selecting a bike.

I couldnt find much information online about how the fantom DS suspension compares to other brands suspension. Lets not include the Spec brain in the comparison.
    It seems like all the fantom ds reviers online dont have experience with other brands.

How does the fantom ds compare to trek, niner, kona, or other brands when it comes to suspension design?
    what are the pros and cons of the motos suspension design?

Are there really 5 inches of travel usable travel?

Does braking and chain tension affect bob?

Why should/shouldnt i buy one?

FYI im looking at the fantom ds pro.

EDIT*** According to mike at BD, FS 29ers are in the works, so maybe i will wait and see what they look like.
    whats the deal mike?

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fantom frame is an antiquated design that has not been updated in quite some time and does not compare to any of the big name manufacturers designs. With that said, it is a decent design similar to what a lot of other companies use, and unless you are a professional racer you probably won't notice much of a difference. The travel can be adjusted from 3-5" fairly easily. It does not bob more or less than most other bikes. My main complaint with the frame is its extreme weight. It is way over 6 pounds, which for a supposedly lightweight XC frame is way too heavy. Most of the big name companies are making carbon FS frames approaching 4 pounds. Its really more of a trail bike frame.

The FS 29er is supposed to be out in June. Since it is a brand new frame, I would expect it to be better designed than the older 26er version.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Bro Mountainbiker
    Cool, Thats great info and nice to know. Ill prob wait till june to see what the 29er looks like. Hell, if the frame doesnt make me happy i could always buy a used GF frame or something and make the swap myself.

Thanks,
    Sheepo

DynoDon
    I actually have a Motobecane Fantom Team, the bike does what its supposed to do, it weighs a few pounds less the the DS Pro, at 25 lbs its not a carbon bike, but it won't break like a carbon bike either, (I crash alot and carbon wouldn't last for me) it has almost 5 inches of travel, bob isn't noticeable to me, I do run my air pressure at the high end in the rear, but I'm using all of my travel.
    I don't understand what you mean, "chain tension" there is no chain tension on bikes with derailleurs.
    I hear all sorts of theories on suspensoin, but come on its a bicycle, what do most people want from a rear suspension? My bike does what I want from suspension, it makes the ride more enjoyable, helps on my recovery time, helps me climb, helps me decend, if I were racing for money I'd want a lighter bike, I'd weigh less myself, and I'd hope I was good enough I wouldn't have to buy a carbon bike or pay for repairs, that would be supplied by my team, but then if I were in that good of shape I may not even want a FS bike, if my body fat was 0, I would have to take weight off the bike. At most riders ability level the bike is last thing that need an upgrade, its up to the rider.
    Why should you or should you not buy on? Thats a question only you can answer correctly.
    Good Luck healing well, those were some ugly wounds I seen below.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    I actually have a Motobecane Fantom Team, the bike does what its supposed to do, it weighs a few pounds less the the DS Pro, at 25 lbs its not a carbon bike, but it won't break like a carbon bike either.

Pics of bike on scale? I believe that you may be a bit optimistic about the weight, would really like to see a 25 lb. f/s moto.

DynoDon
    Here ya go, this was the only way I can get a weight, the bathroom scale is not at 0, but at 2 lbs when I start, I zeroed it with the scale at the VA hospital, then when I get my big butt on it, its 226 or 227, then I pick the bike up, and it goes up to 251, or 252, I'm reading it from the vid, not what I said, as that was wrong compared to the vid, its hard to read because I can't steady the bike with one hand, that gives a good idea to the weight, I can shave some of the weight I've added on for race day too, buy changing back to the original Kenda Klimax Lite tires, lighter tubes, take the computer off, and go back to the Richie Pro seat, thats near a pound of weight, 105grams per tire, 40 grams per tube, I have some 90 gram Maxxis Flyweight tubes, the 130 gram tubes came on the bike, 47 grams difference in seats, 259 gram Fizik Gamma XM, Rictchey Pro 212 grams, the computer, so approx. 300+ grams ( 2/3+ lb) off for race day, race day coming up April 23rd. I won't be reweighing it, thats 25 lbs in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-TVJTlmzc

banned
    Sep 2010
    Put the bike on the scale, on its rear wheel. You will get better results.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think you can get a Fantom to 25lbs. But its going to have so much weight weenie stuff on it that it isn't much good for riding most trails.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

DynoDon
    I just put mine on the scale with pics above, its close to 25 lbs maybe a few grams more, thats with good tires/tubes, computer, heavier drive train, almost 1,000 miles on Michigan trails, it holds up just fine, and I'm no light weight either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-TVJTlmzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoHdy7QKSuo

DynoDon
    I'm happy with the results, that was alot of work, I did just put the rear wheel on with the same results, I dont' think thats a better way anyway, my hand was on the grip with my feet on the ground. If I took it to a certified scale you still wouldn't believe me. Not worth the bother.

AZ
    banned
    I'm happy with the results, that was alot of work, I did just put the rear wheel on with the same results, I dont' think thats a better way anyway, my hand was on the grip with my feet on the ground. If I took it to a certified scale you still wouldn't believe me. Not worth the bother.

I would believe it if you posted pics of it on a certified scale, bathroom scales are notoriously inaccurate. A 25 lb. moto would be possible, but I doubt that yours is.

DynoDon
    I may be a few grams over, not by much, but I can trim some off, if I wanted to. I forgot I added weight with the wider riser bars too, I'm happy with it no matter what it weighs. It does a good job for me, I'm the one that need to loose the weight not the bike, and I'm not even worried about that, my weight and my bikes weight are just fine with me.

AZ
    banned
    I'm happy with it no matter what it weighs. It does a good job for me,

All that matters.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thanks for everyones opinion. I like the bike and i am really excited to see the reworked 29er in june. Maybe it will be one step above the 26er of today.

As for chain tension i meant pedal inputs. Sorry about all this full suspension/ gearie lingo that i dont normally use in day to day conversation

As for my injury, im healing and i could possibly be on a bike again in 2 weeks time.
    Im prob oogling at bikes online because i cant get out and ride my own

Thanks everyone, I keep yall posted with what i do.
    Sheepo

Bro Mountainbiker
    Oh yeah, im still more interested in the DS pro than the team. The team seems a little WW and i would prob destroy it the way i ride. I am lookign for more of an AM/trail rig. One that will be beat to Sh**. Jumping, hucking, and all that jazz.

Sheepo

Poqitas
    Can someone explain why the frame is antiquated/does not compare to other FS designs?

Members who have read this thread: 0