Fantom DS Pro Shifting Problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fantom DS Pro Shifting Problems

I bought a Fantom DS Pro last September and love this bike. Unfortunately, after a wreck and bent derailleur hanger, my bike is ghost shifting a lot in the top gears when I'm in the middle ring. This is of course where I spend most of my time when I'm riding due to all the climbing. I replaced the derailleur hanger and had the LBS tune the bike twice but they can't seem to get it to stop ghost shifting. Has anyone had similar issues and how did you fix it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First off, do not assume that the derailleur limit screws are adjusted properly just because a bike shop mechanic did it. Most bike shop mechanics are not very knowledgeable. I regularly fix friends bikes who have taken them to a shop and they are still not working right. I highly recommend that you learn to work on your bike yourself. Start by reading this.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nts-derailleur

Once you get your limit screws set correctly you can start checking other things. The first thing is clean the derailleur and pulleys. Then replace the cable, housing and housing end caps. Perferrably use a high end housing like jagwire. The housing will wear out eventually and will have extra flex in it that can cause ghost shifting. Make sure to lubricate the housing with something like tri-flow prior to inserting the cable. I really like teflon coated cables, they are more expensive, but will work better. Check to make sure that all the teeth on your cassette are straight and not bent. Also check to make sure that the cassette is not loose. You can grasp it by the biggest cog and see if you can move it back and forth. If it is loose you need to tighten the cassette lock ring or service the free hub on the wheel. If you have done all these things and still have problems then you either need a new derailleur or shifter. Start with a derailleur since it may have been damaged when you damaged the hanger.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

DynoDon
    I just went through that on my Fantom Team, I had new jagwire cables/housings, cleaned everthing, lubed everying, pully's, cables, etc, I replaced the drive line one piece at a time, and it kept improving, I replaced the FSA aluminum sprockets first, with steel ones, small improvement, chain comes off less, (I was having that problem too) then the chain snapped with one mile left to the truck on my next ride, I had a new chain in the truck, so I replaced that, it was a bit better now but still skipping, I replaced the rear cogs, when I got back to the truck the same day, it was a bit better, but still not right, I replaced the freehub for the next ride, now its like a new bike, the freehub on my Team was an aluminum one, I put on a steel freehub, I ordered a new aluminum freehub, there are improvements in this version.
    I never touched the adjustments from the time I started replacing parts, I wanted to find out what part was bad, I had around 1,000 miles on this stuff, all on the ruffest trails in southeast Michigan with a 245 lb rider down now to 215 lbs, but I used too much power for the lightweight stuff, steel will hold up better, it shifts harder, but I'm getting use to it, I'm actually liking it better. I'm using more RPM, and less torque now, my chain, sprockets, freehub are all stronger, (the new aluminum freehub will go on a spare rim) I'm not mashing on it as much, this driveline should last longer. Nothing like a good shifting bike. good luck

"A ballpoint pen has one moving part, it will breakdown"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    ... I highly recommend that you learn to work on your bike yourself. Start by reading this.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...nts-derailleur
    Thank you VERY much for the link.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you for the replies. I definitely want to learn to tune my bike myself, but was worried about making it worse and not having anything to ride. I'll check out the link and try your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think I'm going to try a new chain and see if that makes any difference. I check the reviews on the stock Moto chains, and they're pretty negative. I've got about 200 miles on this chain with fairly hard riding and I think it may be stretched.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My hanger sheered off today on the SECOND run since I built the bike via bikesdirect.com (moto fantom 29er) within five minutes of leaving the truck. Could it have just been a faulty design? I contacted them today but will have to wait for a response since its labor day weekend. Any ideas on where to buy replacement (and/or stronger) hangers? Once again, this bike has a grand total of about 10 miles on it

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You're not going to be able to buy a stronger hanger. But if you have a problem with them breaking then you can keep a spare with you. But more than likely you just ended up with a bad hanger, or hit it on something and didn't realize it and a new one should be fine. You an get a replacement on ebay or direct from Wheels manufacturing. You just need to know the number of the hanger, or be able to match yours to a picture.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can buy replacement hangers from bikesdirect as well. I bought a couple of them after the last one bent so that I always have a spare.

Members who have read this thread: 0