Fantom DS pro - good for All-mountain or freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fantom DS pro - good for All-mountain or freeride?

Is it good for all mountain set up stock on it's 5" suspension? Is anyone using it for all mountain or freeride - what changes did you have to make?

Thanks - i just recently bought an 09 version and I'm amazed by it's capabilities and componentry. But what do I know - I'm coming from xc hardtail and haven't riden in 5 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fantom DS pro - good for All-mountain or freeride?-dsc_2801.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wouldn't use any 5" bike for freeride. I would say the Fantom DS frame is better suited to xc, trail, light AM riding. Freeriding will make you want a bigger bike. However, if you are coming from a xc hardtail and haven't ridden in a few years I doubt you will get right into freeriding. I use mine on xc trails and light am trails and haven't ever wanted anything more from the bike. I would say that you would do yourself a favor to match the tires to your riding conditions and get some decent pedals though. I was saving for a Fantom Team DS when I found a screaming deal on ebay and built up a Fantom Pro instead and really am glad that I did. I wound up with an awesome bike for very little cash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey truevine are you in florida ? Your picture reminds me of the local parks around jacksonville. I am in jacksonville myself so if you are hit me up we can go for a ride sometime. I have two motobecanes myself so just about whatever you wanna know I can help you out with plus I have a ton of extra parts

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    xc2006: You know your parks well. That's the entrance to Hanna Park. I'm new to Jacksonville and have been getting to know Hanna - it has roots, rocks, and switchbacks galore. How would you classify those trails? I've ridden them 6x and had 3 supermans - usually coming at the end when I'm bonking and run into another surprise. I've ordered some body armour for help until I get up to speed with all the surprises they've engineered into the trails - and until I up my stamina and strength.

I'll hit you with a pm - thanks for the offer on riding and parts.

gdpolk: I was just wondering what the full potential of my bike - it handled the technical gnarly stuff surprising well. I know I need new tires - I just love the way the small block 8 runs on hard pack trails and even the street. I guess I need another wheelset with different tires for a quick switch. Thanks for your input.

Members who have read this thread: 1