• 11-16-2010
    throoper
    Fantom Comp or Elite (HT?)
    Hey all,

I'm trying to decide between the Motorbecane Fantom Comp (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_comp_xi.htm) or Elite (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...m_elite09.htm).

A little background: I'm 5'5" 120 lbs and ride mostly cross-country where having a light bike is nice on the uphills -- hence the desire for a hardtail. It's a $200 difference, and $799 is already at the high end of what I originally wanted to spend. (I'm a graduate student and thus don't have yuppie-like wealth to throw at my outdoor pursuits, unfortunately!)

I don't know all that much about components, so my question for y'all is, is the difference between the Comp and the Elite remarkable enough to get me to spend a couple hundred above my original cutoff? Will I really notice a serious difference? I currently ride a 2004 Trek 4700, so either one will definitely be an upgrade.

And just to throw in one more question, would anyone out their advocate I take the plunge to a full suspension? I've been wary because of the weight issue, being a smallish girl. I can't say I really mind bumping over rocks and roots, and I'm already considering upgrading my soon-to-be Motorbecane HT seat stem to one of those shock-absorbing ones. But I'd love some insight. I really don't want to spend more than $1000, although I could probably talk myself into the Fantom Comp full suspension at $1100....

But as a rider on the low side of intermediate, do you think it's worth spending an extra $200-300 on either the hardtail Fantom Elite or the full suspension Fantom Comp??

Thank you SO MUCH in advance, and happy riding! (Not for us here in WY at the moment... snow's here to stay through May...)
  • 11-17-2010
    manabiker
    Have you tried or considered a 29'er?? the bikes you have listed would all be good for you, of course the more you spend the lighter componets you get, but it just seem a 29'er may work too, and worth considering, there are plenty of posts about 29'ers in the womens forum below. Good Luck with the bike you choose.
  • 11-17-2010
    merlinm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by throoper
    Hey all,

I'm trying to decide between the Motorbecane Fantom Comp (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_comp_xi.htm) or Elite (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...m_elite09.htm).

A little background: I'm 5'5" 120 lbs and ride mostly cross-country where having a light bike is nice on the uphills -- hence the desire for a hardtail. It's a $200 difference, and $799 is already at the high end of what I originally wanted to spend. (I'm a graduate student and thus don't have yuppie-like wealth to throw at my outdoor pursuits, unfortunately!)

I don't know all that much about components, so my question for y'all is, is the difference between the Comp and the Elite remarkable enough to get me to spend a couple hundred above my original cutoff? Will I really notice a serious difference? I currently ride a 2004 Trek 4700, so either one will definitely be an upgrade.

And just to throw in one more question, would anyone out their advocate I take the plunge to a full suspension? I've been wary because of the weight issue, being a smallish girl. I can't say I really mind bumping over rocks and roots, and I'm already considering upgrading my soon-to-be Motorbecane HT seat stem to one of those shock-absorbing ones. But I'd love some insight. I really don't want to spend more than $1000, although I could probably talk myself into the Fantom Comp full suspension at $1100....

But as a rider on the low side of intermediate, do you think it's worth spending an extra $200-300 on either the hardtail Fantom Elite or the full suspension Fantom Comp??

Thank you SO MUCH in advance, and happy riding! (Not for us here in WY at the moment... snow's here to stay through May...)

At 120lb you will probably want an air fork since it's lighter and more adjustable. Of course, it costs more.

Right now the best deal on BD is the 29er pro sl which they still have available in small sizes (prob 13" in your case). Obviously, fit is something you have to be worried about. 29" wheels at least partly eliminate need for rear suspension.

For 26" wheels the 2010 fantom elite is also a very good deal. Again, watch the geometry very carefully. The 700HT (dart2) is also pretty good deal although it might weigh more than you like especially if you throw a thudbuster on it.

I would avoid full suspension at that price. 1100$ gets the fantom team. The lower end DS bikes you will probably find heavy and bouncy (disclaimer: i've never ridden one...)
  • 11-17-2010
    throoper
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I hadn't thought much about getting a 29er, mostly since I've never ridden one and I had the (apparently incorrect but common) idea that they're for bigger riders. After checking out some of the 29er links in the women's forum, I'm definitely tempted! Seems like a nice way to get over big stuff and have a smoother ride without switching to a FS.

@ Merlinm, when you said fit would obviously be an issue for the 29er Pro SL, do you mean deciding between the 13" and the 15"? Or a larger issue? I'd think the 15" would be better... that's what I ride now, and my impression is that a 13" is more for ladies in the 5'0" - 5'3" range...

Any other thoughts on the 29er Pro SL? (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_SL.htm) I'm thinking it does look like a pretty sweet bike... Guess I should get my butt on a 29er and see what I think.
  • 11-17-2010
    merlinm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by throoper
    @ Merlinm, when you said fit would obviously be an issue for the 29er Pro SL, do you mean deciding between the 13" and the 15"? Or a larger issue? I'd think the 15" would be better... that's what I ride now, and my impression is that a 13" is more for ladies in the 5'0" - 5'3" range...

Rule of thumb for the fantom 29er is to drop a size. I'm 6 foot and ride 17". 19" was too big (standover) --if they had 18" it would have been perfect. Look at the geo page and compare the ETT with the bike you are riding. Standover is not a big deal unless the bike is too high or so low you can't jack the seatpost up.
  • 11-17-2010
    manabiker
    Nice bike indeed, the 29 will be much taller so a 13" may work, inseam is more important then height when fitting a bike.
    I'm glad you researched the 29, it just may be the right bike for you, and at a good price. I have a brushed silver bike, the Fantom Team, the finish looks great, the componets on the 29 look great, XTR are Shimano's best, Rock Shox Reba's are very adjustable, Avid Hydraulic brakes are amazing, they stop great, but the best thing is they are hard to lock up, the Kenda Small block 8's won't work well in the mud, and the small Pro comes with 170mm cranks, that may be a blessing in disguise, other then that the only bad thing would be waiting for spring, unless you get a lucky snow melt, or travel somewhere to ride your new toy.. good luck on finding the right bike, keep us posted, Happy Trails