Fantom Comp DS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fantom Comp DS

mtbr member
    May 2008

Fantom Comp DS

I'm thinking about getting this bike from bikesdirect. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mcomp_ds08.htm
    Is this really as good a deal as it seems?? I'm blown away by the prices on these things. I'm mechanical and tune my own bike, but have never assembled a bike from scratch. What do you guys think should I jump into this?? Anyone have experience with this bike? Wha do you think??
    Thanks

May 2008
    I don't know about the Fantom DS, but my bike was sent almost fully assembled. I've had some trouble adjusting a few components, but all in all it was pretty easy. If you're feeling challenged, maybe order the instructional DVD. There were not many instructions with my 600 DS.

Happy riding.

Mar 2008
    I've got a Fantom Pro DS - slightly better components, but otherwise the same bike.

Only thing I had to adjust (after standard assembly) was front and rear dérailleur alignment. Assembly on this model is basically just putting the seat in, bolting up the handlebars to the stem and putting on the front wheel and disc brake, and pedals. Everything else is assembled and ready to go. Nothing to it.

The instructions that come with the bike can be tossed. The component manuals come with the bike though, and can / will come in handy.

I love the bike, I just wish I wasn't so ill so I could ride it more. Also wish I had some cash so I could replace a couple of components on it to fit me better...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize they were mostly assembled. That's good to know. Is the fork already cut and attached to the bike?? Thanks again

May 2008
    The forks should be on and ready to go. It's like trueserve said, pedals, stem and bars, front disc and caliper, seat....that's about it.

mtbr member

go for it!!

I was skeptical when i was buying mine as well... got it and love it.. it took me about 30 to 40 minutes to get it all together when i got it. it was about 90% done. just needed the headset and handlebars fastened down and the seat post and pedals attached.

but just to be safe i took it to my lbs and had them double check the spokes, shock pressures, and break component torque specs.

it was well worth the 40 bucks to have it inspected. they set me up and adjusted everything to fit my riding style. i reccomend it if you buy off the internet.

Kneel Before Your Master
    I have the Phanton Comp DS frame and have loved it. I put my own components on it, but the frame and rear shock seem to perform great. Especially for the $400 I paid for them!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I took the plunged and placed and order for the Fantom Comp DS from bikesdirect. Should be here in a week or so!! Can't wait!! I don't know how they do it, but it really does seem like the best deal I have been able to find with the same quality components. Hope it works out. What did you guys end up switching out when you got your bike??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

You're going to love it...

I have the fantom comp (hardtail). Its amazing. these bikes are awesome. it comes almost entirely assembled and there's really very little to do. if you don't feel comfortable, you can spend an extra 20-50 dollars and get it looked over at your LBS. have fun riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Got My Fantom!!!

Just got my Fantom Comp DS in the mail today, put it together and took it for a ride.
    All in all very happy with the bike and the transaction!!
    A small scuff on the fork from shipping and the rear wheel will need to be trued.
    Had to tune up the derailleurs, put on the front disc brake, attach the handle bar/seat, but that was about it pretty easy to get going once it is hear.
    I put on my own tires and pedals and took a ride up and down a local trail.
    Performed nicely with a few tweaks here and there to get the bike to fit me just right.
    Weighed in at 35 lbs, a bit heavier than my previous bike, which is a hardtail by 5 pounds. Didn't notice a difference while riding it.
    Sweet bike and my first full suspension!!
    I'll do an update after I put some miles on it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    sweet man... glad to hear it.. I'm ordering one in about 2 weeks...

Jun 2008
    I bought a Fantom Comp DS frame only and I am starting to build it. Now the questions come up. It looks like from the photo that the front derraileur is a top swing. Is that correct? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just would like to add. The chain I got with the bike had about 4 kinks in it by the 4th ride or so. Emailed BD about it and they got right back to me and sent me a new and better Sram chain no questions asked. So as far as customer service through email, they get a great rating from me!!
    Not all who wander are lost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought my Fantom Comp DS from bikesdirect about 3 months ago. I love it.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mcomp_ds08.htm

I got the 20" and I'm about 200lbs, so the light spring that comes in the Tora was inadequate, so I ordered a firm kit. Aside from that it has been an excellent ride. It'll take the punishment. The Juicy 3's will stop you on the steepest grades. It is a little heavy, but not a tank, very manageable. My derailers needed no adjustment at first, just a slight tweak on the trail after 2 months.

As for the customer service, it is great. When my biked arrived it lacked the 6 bolts for the front disc, so I emailed bikesdirect and they very fairly compensated me. I would do business with these guys again.

Jul 2007

Juicy 3's

I read reviews that the Juicy 3's are not so good. Lots of noise, spongy feel with not good stopping power. I ride really hard into turns and then slam on the brakes at the last second so I need brakes that will stop on a dime.

What are your feelings on the Juicy 3's for hard stopping? Are thy spongy or do they have a solid feel?

I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Fantom Comp or wait for the Pro or Elite to become available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hello ibgordo,

I have been happy with the Juicy 3s so far, but there are some things I do not like and will be switching to BB7 s shortly. Mine do squeal quite a bit, so I have to adjust the IS mounts. There is no inboard/outboard adjustment for the pads, like there is on the BB7s.
    I don't know about spongy, mine feel fairly solid. If mine felt spongy I would begin to suspect there was some air in the lines. I have not had to bleed mine, they came from bikesdirect ready to ride. I did need to adjust adjust the reach on the lever, but that was fairly simple.

It sounds like your style of riding requires something more than the 3s. Maybe bigger disks too.
    For me, the BB7s have everything I want as far as adjustibility and the reviews on them are quite good. No need for a bleed kit either.

Members who have read this thread: 0