Fantom 29PRO SL vs 29PRO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Fantom 29PRO SL vs 29PRO

Hi all,first post here, looking to get back into MTB after many years off. Sorry if this has been discussed but I failed at finding any details: I'm debating between these two bikes, $200 difference on BD. I am very out of the loop on bike components, do the components on the SL warrant the additional cost? Back in the day the LX level parts were adequate for me, but it the shock or brakes are significantly better on the SL I could certainly go that route.

Thanks all!

Trail Ninja
    Fork quality makes a big difference in ride quality and is one of the most expensive parts to upgrade. Reba is more adjustable with dual air, but you sound like you won't miss the tuning aspect.

Wheels also make a big difference in ride quality and are one of the more expensive parts to upgrade. Only a rim difference here, I don't think it's a big deal in this case. I'm not a fan of WTB wheels and don't know much about it. Try looking them up in the reviews section.

Tires and saddle are personal choice, but if one comes with something you like, that saves you the trouble and money to replace them. The RocketV is much much more popular than the SpeedV. Can't say much about the Small Block 8 (SB8) except that they're light and fast. Haven't tried out any WTB tires, but the Moto Raptor is much grippier. The NanoRaptor might be worse than the SB8.

The rest has more to do with weight than performance in my opinion. It'll be generally faster if it's lighter, especially uphill.

Members who have read this thread: 0