Fantom 29Pro SL Fit Question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52

    Fantom 29Pro SL Fit Question

    I've been waiting for the 19" 29Pro SL's to get back in stock, but now that they're in and I've started crunching the numbers, I'm thinking I need the 17" frame. I'm 6' 2" in shoes, and my riding inseam (standover measured with shoes on) is 33.5". The 17" frame would give me almost two full inches of standover clearance.

    I currently am on a 26" Marin with a 20.5" frame. Standover clearance on it is just over an inch, but I chose it because top tube length gave me more knee clearance when peddling/climbing. I guess I'm blessed/cursed with long femurs.

    However, I note that top tube length on the 17" Fantom is almost exactly the same as what I'm riding.

    So I'm wondering if I'm right in the following assumption...

    Since the top tube lengths are comparable and since I'm fine on my current ride, I should be fine on the 17" Fantom as far as knee clearance, especially when standing and climbing. Correct?

    Or is there something else about the geometry that I'm missing?
    Last edited by GuyOnBike; 10-12-2009 at 08:14 AM.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52
    Here's my OC attempt at trying to make sure this thing is going to fit. I don't really want to have to face a return.


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    65
    Don't try to size your 29er from your 26er. Go to you LBS's and ride a bunch of 29ers to see what fits you. Grab a catalog or go online to the bike that fit you in the store and compare its geometry to the Moto you want. Should be easy to figure out what size you need from there.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52
    Thanks. That's a good tip. I was almost dead set on the 17" frame, but I just got this email from Chris at BD:

    As far as sizing we would recommend a 19" 29er frame for someone with your
    measurements, but remember that sizing is a personal preference and ultimately up to
    the consumer.
    Going by the standover clearance, 17" is the right bike. I wonder if BD was considering my height (about 6' 2" in my riding shoes).

    Will give some other 29'ers a try. Recently, I rode a friend's Marin Palisades 29'er in 20.5" frame, and it seemed a little big.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52
    Oh, and I'm not usually so anal as the above chart makes out. However, the Marin chart and the Moto chart were set up all different, and I just got tired of going back and forth and back again. So I made my own comparative chart to try and make sense of everything. A little perspective goes a long way.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    Guy,

    I ride a 17" Outcast 29 single speed as my commuter. It has the same geometry as the Fantom Pro SL. I am 6' with a 32" inseam, and the 17" is a perfect fit for me for trail riding. In other words, I think the 19" is the correct size for you. The 17" would most likely be way too small.

    I have been all over teh map trying to find a hardtail 29er under $2K. I have ridden over a dozen bikes at local shops. I keep coming back to the Fantom Pro SL. I think I am going to order one as well.

    I was considering the Fly Titanium, but at 195 lbs, I worry about flex in teh Ti rear triangle. I know that won't be an issue with the aluminum Pro SL frame.

    Good luck,
    Keith

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    Guy,

    I ride a 17" Outcast 29 single speed as my commuter. It has the same geometry as the Fantom Pro SL. I am 6' with a 32" inseam, and the 17" is a perfect fit for me for trail riding. In other words, I think the 19" is the correct size for you. The 17" would most likely be way too small.

    I have been all over teh map trying to find a hardtail 29er under $2K. I have ridden over a dozen bikes at local shops. I keep coming back to the Fantom Pro SL. I think I am going to order one as well.

    I was considering the Fly Titanium, but at 195 lbs, I worry about flex in teh Ti rear triangle. I know that won't be an issue with the aluminum Pro SL frame.

    Good luck,
    Keith
    Keith, thanks for weighing in. I've come to the same conclusions. My standover is actually a little higher than I thought. I was trying to measure it by myself and didn't realize the book I was using was tilted. I had my wife help me today and used a 2-foot level. Standover (in riding shoes) is actually closer to 35, so the 19" frame should be just about right in that regard.

    I also used this online metric. https://www.wrenchscience.com/Secure...px?stylecode=M It recommended a center-to-top 19" frame.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Hi Guy,

    I just recently received a 17" SL and am 6'0" with a 32" inseam and the bike gives me about 1.0" of standover, just a bit of stretch but quite acceptable. From your above measurements I also would suggest the 19" for you.

    Enjoy, you can't go wrong with the SL, great bike!

    GG

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    GG,
    Did your Pro SL come spec'd with Avid Juicy Sevens or Elixers?
    Keith

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Hi Keith,

    Came with the Avid Juicy Sevens. I'm not familier with the Elixers so can't judge the difference, but the Juicy Sevens are great.

    GG

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    65
    Keith,

    Mine came with Juicy 7s and 185 rotors. I stripped them off and sold them for $125.00 and put on BB7's w/ 160's. The Juicys are great, but I like mechanicals. Enjoy your new rig, whatever you choose.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    The BB 7's are great brakes. I liked them better than the XTR hydraulics I had on another bike. Mechanicals are certainly easier to maintain and adjust than hydraulics, and the performance difference is minimal. In fact, I found the rear brake on the Shimano to be much softer than the Avid mechanicals. And that was after several bleeds and readjusts with the Shimano.

    The Fly Ti 29 was an option, but I don't want to deal with and probably replace the lightweight Vuelta wheelset on the Fly Ti. And I want the option to run wide tires if necessary. I also considered building up a Niner EMD. With some of the parts I have, that'd cost me at least $2400 spec'd pretty nicely.

    Overall, the Pro SL has a nice component kit. I'll switch out to lighter bars, stem, saddle, and post. (The latter three I already have in my parts bin.)
    Last edited by h2o-x; 10-15-2009 at 11:37 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyOnBike
    I've been waiting for the 19" 29Pro SL's to get back in stock, but now that they're in and I've started crunching the numbers, I'm thinking I need the 17" frame. I'm 6' 2" in shoes, and my riding inseam (standover measured with shoes on) is 33.5". The 17" frame would give me almost two full inches of standover clearance.

    I currently am on a 26" Marin with a 20.5" frame. Standover clearance on it is just over an inch, but I chose it because top tube length gave me more knee clearance when peddling/climbing. I guess I'm blessed/cursed with long femurs.

    However, I note that top tube length on the 17" Fantom is almost exactly the same as what I'm riding.

    So I'm wondering if I'm right in the following assumption...

    Since the top tube lengths are comparable and since I'm fine on my current ride, I should be fine on the 17" Fantom as far as knee clearance, especially when standing and climbing. Correct?

    Or is there something else about the geometry that I'm missing?
    I am about 5'10" and was worried the 15" would be too small. It was just right as far as feel. You can often size down one size or so on a 29er vs a 26er.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    I pulled the trigger on the 17" today.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4

    what bike is close in size

    What bike(that I could find in LBS) is close to the Fantom 29er. I'm 6 foot and 34 inseam, thinking about the 19

    Long time reader, first time poster.
    Thanks

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    wisevoss,

    If you are talking about the Pro 29SL, the Fisher Paragon or Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 would both be close in specs, but both would cost $700-900 more than the Moto Pro 29 SL.

    I have ridden both these bikes. The Specialized handled better to me. It was quicker steering and climbed easier, but I am a Specialized fan and have owned 4 Stumpies in the last 20 years. I actually went back to buy the Stump 29 and it was gone. We checked on ordering one in, but it was a mid to late December delivery date. That's when I ordered the Moto.

    Other 29 bikes you may be able to find locally are the Jamis Dakota 29 and Dragon 29 or the Bianchi SOK or Cannondale 29er 4. I rode the latter, it's a pig. It has to weigh 35 lbs, and it has a low end component kit. REI has them on sale around $900.

    Good luck.

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    I rode the latter, it's a pig. It has to weigh 35 lbs, and it has a low end component kit. REI has them on sale around $900.
    Any idea what your 29Pro SL weighs?

    I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 19".

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    27 lbs for a small. Eventually swap out the heavy saddle, bars, stem, and post, and you'll be under 26 lbs.
    Last edited by h2o-x; 10-18-2009 at 10:48 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    My Pro SL showed up today. My youngest had a soccer game, so I couldn't do much on the build.

    First impressions...

    I am happy. The weight feels pretty good. (I'll weigh it when it is ready to ride.) This one came with Elixers and an XT front derailleur. The BD website mentions that they spec either Juicy 7's or Elixers. Needless to say, I'd rather have the latter.

    Aesthetically, it's a nice looking bike. My only criticism is that some of the lap welds are over done and a little sloppy.

    I raided the parts bin and have an XT cassette, Race Face Deus headset and seatpost for it, as well as an Aerus Pro stem and Aerus/Blue saddle. I ordered a set of Titec Pluto 1" bars and a pair of 2.35 Panaracer Rampages.

    I'll post images when it's done.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    My Pro SL showed up today. My youngest had a soccer game, so I couldn't do much on the build.

    First impressions...

    I am happy. The weight feels pretty good. (I'll weigh it when it is ready to ride.) This one came with Elixers and an XT front derailleur. The BD website mentions that they spec either Juicy 7's or Elixers. Needless to say, I'd rather have the latter.

    Aesthetically, it's a nice looking bike. My only criticism is that some of the lap welds are over done and a little sloppy.

    I raided the parts bin and have an XT cassette, Race Face Deus headset and seatpost for it, as well as an Aerus Pro stem and Aerus/Blue saddle. I ordered a set of Titec Pluto 1" bars and a pair of 2.35 Panaracer Rampages.

    I'll post images when it's done.
    Nice.. an XT front instead of the deore and elixers.. very cool.. Im hoping to pick one of these up in two weeks.. Hopefully ill get the same build as you!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    Guy,

    I ride a 17" Outcast 29 single speed as my commuter. It has the same geometry as the Fantom Pro SL. I am 6' with a 32" inseam, and the 17" is a perfect fit for me for trail riding. In other words, I think the 19" is the correct size for you. The 17" would most likely be way too small.

    I have been all over teh map trying to find a hardtail 29er under $2K. I have ridden over a dozen bikes at local shops. I keep coming back to the Fantom Pro SL. I think I am going to order one as well.

    I was considering the Fly Titanium, but at 195 lbs, I worry about flex in teh Ti rear triangle. I know that won't be an issue with the aluminum Pro SL frame.

    Good luck,
    Keith
    Did you measure your inseam with a book or are you using your pants inseam? I wear size 32 pants myself at just under 6'2. I sorta half-assed measured myself with a book (not sure how accurate it was) but what i got was 33.5 or 34 inseam with the book pretty rammed up past my 'accessory tissue' as it were. I have a cycle spectrum nearby and the only bike they had built was the fantom29 in size 17. I rode it around a little. I had plenty of room for my legs.. the seatpost was basically at the limit of its insertion, and it seemed like i had adequate leg extension. I seemed to have about 3 inches standover clearance. With the 17, I did feel as though i was sitting practically straight up and down, tho.. They have a 19 in the back that they havent built, im going to call and see if they put it together yet. The 17 REALLY has a sloped tube.. where are they measuring standover?

    When I used to ride mtn bikes many years ago, I had a 1999 gt avalanche in size 18 that i rode ALOT. However, I really felt that bike could have been one or two sizes larger, as the cockpit seemed quite a bit cramped.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    I wear a 32" pants inseam and went with the 17" Fantom. I have about 2" of clearance. I think I could ride a 19" and have about 1" of stand over. (I like to keep my boys away from the top tube whenever possible!)

    With an 11 cm stem, the cockpit on the 17" feels right for me for XC riding. I sometimes think that I could've gone with a 19" Outcast for commuting. But, the 17" Fantom is perfect for me for off road.

    My mountain bike's cockpits have gotten shorter over the years. Twenty years ago we were riding around with 13 cm stems and long top tubes. That was great for climbing, but made the descents a little dicey at times.

    At 6'2", I could see you feeling cramped on the 17" bike. It's great that you have the opportunity to ride the 19". I'd do that and make the decision from there.

    I think the stand over is measured from about the middle of the top tube.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    90
    The 19 fits fine.. I've got about 2 inches clearance, not cramped at all.. Don't like the cockpit on the lower level 29, hopefully the richey stuff will be better. I don't like the angle on the stem at all. The dart also seems kinda spongy as well... Hope I can save up enough for the SL

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h2o-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    103
    Good to hear that the 19" is the right fit for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.