for: fantom 29 pro or pro SL owners.. debate the proper size.. helpp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

for: fantom 29 pro or pro SL owners.. debate the proper size.. helpp

ok guys... I need your help I want to buy a fantom 29 pro and I am trying to figure out what is the correct size for me.

I am 5,11 3/4. the length from my hip to my foot is 40 inches. my inseam is about 34". weight 163.
    1. I went to cycle spectrum store in orlando fl last weekend, and the salesperson said that for me the size is 17.
    after that, I checked the motobecane forum (mtbr.com) , and of one the guys had the same question. he emailed to BD and they recommend size 19

today, I emailed to BD with the question about my size and they said that they recommend size 17 for me...

Now, I am .. if the guy on the forum he is height is the same like me how did they answer different?

please, help me .. I need to be sure of the purchase

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

My sizing info

At my local trail, I had a short ride on a 17 inch and it instantly felt too crowded to the h-bars.
    I'm 6 foot 1/2 inch tall with 33 and 1/2 inch inseam. I prefer a slightly stretched out posture and not a tall in the saddle posture.
    I would recommend a 19 inch frame. Go search and take notes on the various sizing threads.
    Good luck. You can always send it back for the right size (at your expense).
    PS: the 19 inch Fantom Pro (not the SL that arrived today) I believe is OUT OF STOCK.

DynoDon
    If you went there and they measured you inperson, they said 17 inch. I would think that would be good enough, the other guy may have a longer inseam, did you sit on a 19 inch bike when you were in Florida??? maybe you should get a 19 in, and wear a cup... good luck...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm the other guy on the forum with the same measurements (5' 11-1/2, 34" inseam). I think either size would probably fit and that it depends where you're coming from and what your riding style is. If you're looking to do more difficult trails or are coming from a 26" mountain bike then the smaller size might feel better. Coming from a road bike and doing more moderate trails/commuting might suggest the larger size (more my situation).

FWIW, I stopped off at the Performance Bike store today and tried out their 17" & 19" Access XCL 29er (onsale at $999, not a bad deal). Both sizes were a reasonable fit, but the 19" just felt a little better to me, probably because I've been riding an old 22" hybrid with a 33" standover, so I'm used to a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thank u for inf...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just got a 17" Fantom Pro. I'm 5' 10 1/2" tall and have a 33" inseam. It seems to fit me pretty well. It definitly isn't too small for me. Since you have access to the bikes at the store I would say try the 17" and the 19" (if they don't have the Fantom Pro in stock they probably have something similar and there is also the Jacksonville store). See if you feel cramped in the arms and make sure you aren't going to hurt the family jewels if you have to touch the ground to keep from falling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am 5' 11" and have a 32 inseam. I tried the 19 and 17 inch Fantom 29 pro and preferred the 17 inch. The stock stems seem long and plan to replace with shorter stem, still enough room to work with my 32 inseam. The 17 inch I find offers a more aggressive riding position and a bit easier to control. Most of my local bike shops suggested going down a size when going to the 29er. I purchased the pro 29'er and like the fit for my build. Hope this is of some help. I have about a inch clearance over the top tube.

Roger

Members who have read this thread: 0