Fantom 29 pro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fantom 29 pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fantom 29 pro

Im looking at a new bike and dont want to spend too much money.. (700 would be best, but I could possible save for 1k - but then i need pedals .. probably get time atacs, I rode with them for years) I went and sat on a Fantom 29 at a cycle spectrum we have near by - they had a 17 inch 29er (not pro) in stock and it seemed really heavy. I rode it around, a little and even had trouble lifting the front wheel much over a few inches. Granted Ive not ridden mountain bikes in a while, and I am used to my 16 lb road bike... But my last mtn bike was a 1999 GT Avalanche, which was stock with XT and LX - mavic rims and LX hubs.. I remember that bike being much lighter... it was 1k when i bought it new in 2000.

How much lighter is the Fantom 29 pro than the bottom line model? Also - does this thing have shraeder or presta valves? I didnt notice - but on the website photos it seems to have shraeder, but the pro SL has presta. Im not really sure WHICH model i should get between the pro and the pro sl.. Obviously the higher you go on the models from 29 to 29pro to 29pro SL things get lighter - but all models appear to have the same wheels.

The bikes themselves things look pretty nice - with the drivetrain specs they have. But, you can see where they skimped out (the little things like bar, stem, post, saddle) I am just confused as to which I should get.. I mean, im mostly a roadie, but i do miss riding in the dirt - and I dont really care if people lift their noses at me on the trail if Im not on a superbike... I just dont want to be riding on a super heavy bike.

The other bike I have been looking at is the rockhopper 29er comp.. its 799 also - and it seems to be a bit lighter.. it definitely has a nicer looking frame with hydroformed tubes and really nice welds. owever, its not spec'd like the motobecane.

Im no shill for bikesdirect.. so please dont flame me.. Im just looking for some value for my money.. It just seems like mountain bike prices are astronomical.

Sep 2009
    Hi i2ambler;

I just took delivery of the 29PRO SL (17) and its a great bike. It is lighter and the components are certainly upgraded. I also was a little quizical about the pedals, but they seem fine. I did take BD's advise and let my local bike shop do the assembly, they missed installing the pop loc for the Reba's but invited me back for an install while I waited. The bike rides out great. My choices prior to purchase were the same as yours, and I finally decided for the SL because of the upgraded components, glad I did.

Hope this helps,

Gray Guy

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Got any pics of the bike? What brakes did it come with? They say elixir or juicy 7 - no choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I recently put together a 29PRO SL for a friend and was quite impressed with it. It didn't feel heavy to me by mountain bike standards, and it was a 21". The bike came with Juicy 7s. The cockpit components were definitely on the heavy/durable side of the spectrum, but considering the price, they weren't half bad. The only component I'd upgrade right away would be the stock pedals. They might as well be made of lead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jayz28
    I recently put together a 29PRO SL for a friend and was quite impressed with it. It didn't feel heavy to me by mountain bike standards, and it was a 21". The bike came with Juicy 7s. The cockpit components were definitely on the heavy/durable side of the spectrum, but considering the price, they weren't half bad. The only component I'd upgrade right away would be the stock pedals. They might as well be made of lead.
    Im partial to time atac pedals.. I havent ridden mtn in about 3 years, but still have my old mtn bike shoes.. haha. so all i need are pedals and cleats. Ive been riding road exclusively since my old mtn bike died, and put in a lot of miles per week (less now that the days are shorter - harder to get out during the week).. I basically want a mtn bike so that i can vary my training. I just ride for fitness and fun - and want some variety. So you can see why i dont want to buy something ridiculously expensive, but still value excellent components.

Another bike i have heard good things about is the khs tuscon. However, its a little over a grand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Another question - the 29 and 29pro come with shraeder valve tubes.. can i switch them to presta, or are the rims incompatable?

Sep 2009
    i2 ambler;

Answer: No pictures yet, but the BD site does an excellent job. Secondly, my bike came with Juicy 7's.

Gray Guy

Members who have read this thread: 0