Fantom 29 DS Geometry (Reach) for a Tall Guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Fantom 29 DS Geometry (Reach) for a Tall Guy

Hi,

A little background:
    I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam and shirt length size. I've ridden a Moto 700HT (XL Frame) for the last 7 years and am looking to get into 29ers, and really want to try full suspension after riding some of my friends FS 26ers. FWIW, I love the 700HT, and will keep it until I get a 29" HT down the road.

Basically, I'm trying to make sure I can fit in the Large size (the biggest size) of the Fantom 29 DS, by comparing it to the good fit I have with the XL 700HT.

A quick and easy way would be if anyone knows the Reach of the DS as well as the 700HT, as its not listed on Moto's website.

Otherwise, here's what I know about the 2 bikes:

• The 700HT XL frame has an Effective Top Tube length (ETT) of 24.2". The Fantom 29 DS only comes in a L frame, yet has the same ETT, despite having a shorter Actual Top Tube length of the 700 HT.
    • The DS is .5" shorter in both Wheel Base and Stand Over height.

Here are the links to Moto's website:
    Motobecane USA | 26 inch Hardtail Mountain Bikes 400 to 700HT
    Motobecane USA

Does anybody have any insight on any of this?

I have time to think about it as the DS is sold out currently on BikesDirect, but I do know there is an XL Fantom Pro 29 if need be.

Thanks for any help!

Frt Range, CO
    The DS has a 74* seat tube angle, the 700 has a 73* seat tube angle. That effects the reach measurement, a steeper STA gives longer reach for the same effective top tube length. For me it's ~15mm extra reach for each degree. For someone your height its probably closer to 20mm per degree (use a little high school trig to figure it out exactly).

The 29DS has about 20mm longer reach than the 700 so you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    The DS has a 74* seat tube angle, the 700 has a 73* seat tube angle. That effects the reach measurement, a steeper STA gives longer reach for the same effective top tube length. For me it's ~15mm extra reach for each degree. For someone your height its probably closer to 20mm per degree (use a little high school trig to figure it out exactly).

The 29DS has about 20mm longer reach than the 700 so you should be good to go.
    Thanks, you were right. Found one locally for sell on Craigslist and it has plenty of reach. In fact, it measures 1" longer than the 700 with a similar stem/seat height setup.

Hope this info can help any other tall riders who are unsure about the L frame.

P.S. Love the bike. Ordered a BBG bash guard and Stan's No Tubes kit. Still researching tires, but thinking Ardents 2.3"F/2.1"R.

Frt Range, CO
    I run 2.35 in the back and 2.5 up front. Love the Maxxis Minnions TR on Stans Flow EX.