Fantom 29 Assembly tips.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Fantom 29 Assembly tips.

So my bike will be here on tuesday. I watched the vids on the website and some on youtube on how to tune derailleurs. seem like i just need some metric allen keys and some metric wrenches. are there any torque specs? any tips I might need to know?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Couple misc tips from a fellow beginner:

*) when you loosen the headset, to install stem, the fork will drop out suddenly!

*) if you do the above on an unclamped stand, the frame will flip, scattering the headset in random locations around the garage! Make sure you have one hand on fork while you loosen the headset!

*) make sure you do the stem/headset right. Do not overtorque headset.

*) Don't forget to install rotor in star pattern bolt, opposite bolt, bolt, opposite bolt, etc.

*) be very patient adjusting brakes. if you get juicy (not sure about exlir), and have to do the cps tightening routine, be super careful when you tighten the caliper bolts. If you jerk on the bolts, you can knock it out of alignment. When you pull on the brake lever, the rotor should not move at all or you can damage it. Be very gentle with your brakes generally...the one thing that is going to bring you into the LBS is hydraulic problems.

*) look up the hairspray trick for putting on grips -- I didn't and it was the most difficult/frustrating part of install

*) Keep the red spacer that comes with your front brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    So my bike will be here on tuesday. I watched the vids on the website and some on youtube on how to tune derailleurs. seem like i just need some metric allen keys and some metric wrenches. are there any torque specs? any tips I might need to know?
    Don't forget a Torx wrench for the brake rotor install.
    The Good Times are Killing me

AZ
    banned
    T-25 Torx wrench , clean rotors w/ Isopropyl Alcohol before bedding the brake pads . As has been posted , do not over tighten preload on the headset . Double check every fastener on the bike , especially crankarm bolts , check for loose spokes , hub bearings . Apply a thin coat of grease to your seat post . Have fun , good luck .

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Are there any torque specs on tightening the headset? or any other bolts for that matter. I got a Fantom Elite coming.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    Are there any torque specs on tightening the headset? or any other bolts for that matter. I got a Fantom Elite coming.

Headset is "feel" , stem bolts are usually 5 NM but usually get tightened to "that's about right" .

Members who have read this thread: 0