Fantom 29 Assembly question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Fantom 29 Assembly question

On BD website it says it comes 90% assembled. What is the 10% un-assembled? Is it the hard stuff or just the wheels and handlebars?
    I'm not a bicycle mechanic, but I do fix high speed folding machinery for a manufacturing company so I am mechanically strong but I have no Bike experience (except for my BMX days as a tween).
    Is it difficult to finish off or reasonably easy?

S*it Happens!
    No, it’s not hard to complete the assembly and everything major has already been done.

First link is a review on that bike and it gives you an idea of what you will need to do. The second link, is to provide you with adjustment know how, should it be necessary.

Click Me!

Click Me!

Good luck
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

DynoDon

Common Sence is the most important part

here is a vid from BD and some info on adjusting deraileurs, Youtube has lots of info on adjusting, some good, some ok, some bad, read below the vids and see what people say about the vid, is a good way to see which vids are the better ones, it's pretty simple if you have basic tools and some common sence. take your time and it will take a few hours or less,. and good luck!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlRjaJWyo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It was pretty straight forward finishing it up . and if you need a little more help i found a pretty helpful site that gives alot of the basics for ajustments and basic setups

http://bicycletutor.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    90% means that the front wheel, front brake, pedals, and fork/handlebars are off. I got my fantom 29 about 3 months ago, took maybe 20 min to get it together and riding, another 45 min or so of tinkering and adjusting (derailleurs, mainly) to get it where I wanted it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cool. Thanks guys. I put a deposit on a Specialized 3 weeks ago at LBS but for some reason, the bike hasn't materialized yet. If I don't et it within a reasonable amount of time I'm going to cancel and order this bike fro BD. To be honest, I prolly should have in the first place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripthruster
    Cool. Thanks guys. I put a deposit on a Specialized 3 weeks ago at LBS but for some reason, the bike hasn't materialized yet. If I don't et it within a reasonable amount of time I'm going to cancel and order this bike fro BD. To be honest, I prolly should have in the first place.

It's the end of the model year so it may be hard to get your bike or have to wait for the 2011 version to get in the pipeline. I know Kona just did the release on their 2011s a week ago.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJETT
    It's the end of the model year so it may be hard to get your bike or have to wait for the 2011 version to get in the pipeline. I know Kona just did the release on their 2011s a week ago.
    I actually checked this last night, and most of the fantom 29 series are in stock

mtbr member
    I was referring to the post before mine about the Specialized that hasn't come in yet.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just got a call that I should have it by the end of the week. I think for sure though, If I knew a bit more and felt confidant I wouldn't need a shop's support, I'd b better of with the Motobecane. Maybe in a few when I outgrow the Sport Disc.

Thanks for all the awesome advice and help.

Members who have read this thread: 0