Enough is Enough....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Enough is Enough....

Alright guys, I have struggled with this question too long and now I want some answers

I can't believe that you can get a sub-21 lb bike with full xtr for around 1700. Are the parts reject parts. Are the frames poorly welded? How can they be so cheap?

Anyway, it sounds so appealing to a get bike with full xtr for the same price as my giant trance with full deore LX.

please end the torture that bikesdirect.com has caused me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm looking to buy one of these bikes in about a months time and I've been reading anything I can find about them.. have even seen some reviews on here showing pictures right out of the boxes, great welds, tried and tested frames and all new components... by what I hear bikesdirect.com owns motobecane, woodstock, mercier and now maybe even Dawes... so it cuts out all the overhead for not having stores and no middle man.. just read what you can and make your own decision I know I'm getting one for sure...

mtbr member
    Honestly, you can't go wrong. BD has figured out the trick to get you a quality bike at a reasonable price.

I purchased the Fantom Team a few months ago. Very happy. The support from the owner of the company has been great. I asked some questions and had a brake problem and he worked with me to solve it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I say buy them while you can. It wouldn't surprise me if they are able to build a great reputation and then some big bike company buys them, and then start selling them at retail prices. Everything on my Fly is top notch, none of the parts look or function like "rejects". The prices are low because you don't deal with the LBS markup.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Mar 2008
    At 1400, my Fantom Pro DS has full XTR and is built very well. Everything sure looked new and worked as expected when I got it. Now, it isn't that light of a bike, but it's a fully loaded FS for $1400. Can't go wrong.

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    I say buy them while you can. It wouldn't surprise me if they are able to build a great reputation and then some big bike company buys them, and then start selling them at retail prices. Everything on my Fly is top notch, none of the parts look or function like "rejects". The prices are low because you don't deal with the LBS markup.
    I have heard that, by sales volume, Bikedirect IS one of the larger bike companies. But who knows. Mikes wife is one of Ebays top sellers.

Stiff yet compliant
    It doesn't have full XTR. Shimano offers nine components (depending on how you look at it) in the XTR group.
    The Motobecane fly team and Fantom pro DS have three.
    Three out of nine does not equal full.

mtbr member
    It's amazing what low overhead coupled with economy of scale will do! My Fly Ti has the following non-XTR (970) parts with retail difference:

KMC chain ($20 less than XTR)
    Ultegra cassette ($160 less than XTR)
    FSA K-Force Light Carbon crankset ($150 more than XTR)
    Avid Juicy Ultimate ($40 less than XTR hydraulics, times two)

All in all pretty close to "full XTR" in terms of retail cost, and I like the crankset addition. Definitely won't see too many of those on the trail!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go for it. My boss bought a road bike and I bought the Fly Ti from BikesDirect. I was worried, but even my LBS was impressed.

Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    It doesn't have full XTR. Shimano offers nine components (depending on how you look at it) in the XTR group.
    The Motobecane fly team and Fantom pro DS have three.
    Three out of nine does not equal full.
    Sorry, thanks for the correction.

Mar 2008

Bought a fantom team

I bought a fantom team. Like bikesdirect, had only one problem. BD does not ship to APO (Armed forces post offices overseas). So i had it shipped to a family member and then paid the 90 dollars to ship it via USPS to me in Germany. the LBS here was impressed said a bike like mine goes for at least 3,000 euro. haven't had much issus with the bike besides the rear cassette needing to be swapped and new tires to match the terrain in the area. I love biking in germany there are hundreds of miles of trails right behind my house and work. Good climbs and single tracks! I say if you are thinking about it, pull the trigger: thumbsup:

Members who have read this thread: 0