DS Pro weight...is it possible?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

DS Pro weight...is it possible?

I weighed my ds pro this weekened using a bathroom scale. I know not the most accurate, but I repeated at least 10x. I stand on the scale, 150lbs on the nose...I grab the bike, 175.5. I did this over and over again w/ the same result.

Is it possible that my ds pro weighs 25.5lbs?

I swapped out the seatpost for an easton carbon/composite, swapped out the seat for one that is lighter and more low profile and I have crank brothers candy pedals.

Bikesdirect claims 28.8lbs w/out pedals and reflectors.

I have no reflectors and have also removed the dork disk...does this seem at all right? I was expecting about 28lbs...not 25.5lbs. If I'm really sitting at 25.5lbs I will be a very happy camper.

DynoDon
    I would think you're about right, it may be a bit heavier, I have a Team, and I'm around the same, I've added weight to the bike since I've gotten it, with 26 x 2.25 Schwalbe Fat Alberts, over 1 lb more, Oury grips, computer, 11x34 PG 990 cassett, heavier Schimano chain, Shimano M 540 SPDs, bottle holder, and I fugure mine to be around 26 to 27 lbs, with the bathroom scale method, I'd sure like to get it on a good scale, I don't trust the bathroom scale. I'm still trying to shave lbs off me,, LOL!!! I'm down to 210 from 240+..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was just shocked that it is about 3lbs under the claimed weight. really don't think carbon/composite seatpost and lightweight seat would make that big of a difference. working on a stem/bar combo will see what that does for me. Would love to have a bike w/ under 2k invested in the 24lb range. I have a cannondale w/ a lefty fork that came in at 26lb. I find it hard to believe my new fs is that much lighter. I swear, i hopped on and off the scale about 10x w/ the same results. Can't be that far off, kwim. I know the scale works, i was at the dr last week and i was at 150 flat using their scales...so I know mine is calibrated properly as I weigh the same at home.

I wish I could figure out a way to get the "motobecane" lettering off my frame. It's painted on as is the flat black version. Not b/c i'm ashamed of the name, i just don't like the blocky huge letters. Not sure if there is a way to get those letters off w/out damaging the rest of the paint.

DynoDon
    I'm sure you're in the ballpark of 26 lbs, and thats a great bike, I've had a Motobecane since the 70's, I really like that fact that the name is still around, and I want a jersey to wear to local events, a couple LBS's gave me guff about the Motobecane,, they should feel threatened, it's a great bike for a great price. Put some Kenda Lites 345 Grams on it and loose a pound at least. They came on my Team, I keep thinking I'm getting a flat when they are on the bike, but man are they fast on the dry stuff, and light.
    My Motobecane name is staying, I took a second in the 60+ class on a time trial, and one of the dealers that gave me guff had to give me my award,,LOL!! Maybe next year I can do the same..LOL!!! with a Motobecane Jersey on !!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0