Dropper Sizes for Hal 6?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Dropper Sizes for Hal 6?

I know this has been covered in the other New Motoecanes thread, but I wanted to ask it here for 2 reasons: First, it's hard as hell to find anything in that thread anymore since it's so damn long and second, if anyone else comes searching for the info later in, it will be much easier for them to find it here as well.

Anyway, I have a Hal6 with a large frame. I currently ride with my stock seat post (400mm) fully inserted into the frame. It is borderline a bit high, but pretty darn close to perfect as is so I never bothered cutting it.

I'm fairly certain that several people have the 125mm Reverb post (31.6mm diameter, 390mm length). Am I correct in understanding that the Reverb fully inserted would come up to about 10mm under where my current seat sits? Pretty much any dropper post around 125mm in length and the 31.6mm diameter should work, right? The only time I would run into trouble is possibly with a 150mm dropper, where I wouldn't be able to insert it into the frame far enough and the seat would be too high up, or possibly on a100mm or less dropper where I wouldn't be able to pull it out of the frame far enough to get my seat high enough, correct?

If anyone is currently running a dropper, would you mind posting the specs up and what size frame you have as well? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have an eTen 100mm currently installed (XL frame), and a Fox Transfer Internal 150 NIB. I'm not ready to drill the frame for the Fox internal routing yet, but eyeballing it next to the frame indicates it should just work for my XL frame and my 6'3" long-legged self. I doubt anyone less than 6' on an XL could use it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    FYI, the stock 400mm post goes in the large frame about 187mm (7 3/8"). Min insertion length is ~102mm (4"). That gives you about 85mm (~3.35") max to trim off the bottom of the post before you start permanently affecting the max height of the seat.

Since the height with the post fully inserted is about right for me, I cut off 3" from the bottom of the post. That should give me the ability to ride at my normal height but still manually drop it when needed, although it's only 3".

The 390mm Reverb should fit perfectly, for me anyway. I only need to pull it out of the post 10mm (.4") to get it to my current seat height, which should still leave almost a full 7" inserted.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have a KS Lev dx 125 in my medium frame and it is at a perfect height, but all the way down in the frame as far as it will go. I have about a 32 inseam... be careful..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dropper Sizes for Hal 6?-img_1700.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

HAL6 44mm with Transfer 150mm, More steatpost insertion possible if burr removed!

Got my HAL6 Pro (44cm/M Frame size) a few days ago. It's great! I was able to fit a 150mm Fox Transfer Dropper, with external "collar" routing for the cable, into the frame with max height correct for my ~30" inseam. I achieved 212mm (8.35") of post insertion by removing the manufacturing burr inside the seatpost tube at the bottom where the tube starts to expand to a rectangular profile for the pivot (about where the "U.S.A." on the Motobecane logo on the seat tube is). The burr in mine stuck into the seat tube clearance ~1/32" all the way around and was only about 1/32" deep. The seat tube clears the pivot, it's just the burr that blocks insertion into an additional ~2" of depth. It might go a bit farther than 212mm but I stopped there.

I didn't have a 31.6mm seatpost reamer tool although have been told they exist. Instead I painstakingly filed the burr away with a half round file. Took me ~1.5hrs of careful filing work, but was worth it! A good LBS might ream this out for you with a reamer tool for a fee...

If you use a file, make sure you tape the file teeth where you are not using them so they don't scratch up the top part of the seat tube while you struggle with removing the burr deep in the tube.

I highly recommend Fox Transfer External 150mm dropper for HAL6 44mm Med frame _if_ you are willing to get the burr removed and your inseam is ~30" or larger.

Hope this helps you, I could not find this info prior to purchase. Your mileage may vary...

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dropper Sizes for Hal 6?-hal6-dropper-seat-tube-insertion.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Awesome work man, and thanks for the info. I'm guessing the large frame is similar. I never did pull the trigger on one last year, but with that info I may start looking at the Giant Contact 150mm as it has the cable routing on the collar like I wanted, but I originally avoided it because I thought it was too long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Did you remove the bottom bracket when you filed down the burr? Were the shavings a concern? If not, did an problems arise after doing so?