Do they take orders?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84

    Do they take orders?

    Bought a bike from the BD owners sister years ago off of Ebay. I would like to buy one of their higher end machines but it is currently out of stock. Is it possible to place an order and have one built for me? Doing the waiting game for them to send me an e-mail with bikes back in stock to then just get beat to the punch by somebody else is a bit frustrating. I would like to just tell them what I want, pay for it, and have it built and sent to me. Is this even possible? Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,279
    I doubt it. All the bikes are planned and assembled on the other side of the world. BD just says "send me what you've got" and they sell the bikes when they get through shipping. If you know what you're looking for, good chance BD has something similar, but doing a custom build won't happen.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Yea if they are out of stock then they are out of stock, they are not going to build you a custom bike, which they could not anyway because they don't have the frames.

    That is how anything works that is out of stock, you will just have to wait until they are back in stock or buy something comparable that suits your needs.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Yea if they are out of stock then they are out of stock, they are not going to build you a custom bike, which they could not anyway because they don't have the frames.

    That is how anything works that is out of stock, you will just have to wait until they are back in stock or buy something comparable that suits your needs.
    Unfortunately something comparable isn't out there. $2,999 for the 2 x 11 full XTR Fly Team is a great deal. Something comparable would be thousands more. Pretty much paying for the name or the fact it's built by American workers. Unfortunately our style of living in the USA has lent itself to prices that have sky rocketed with inflation. Can't afford $4,500+ for a Merlin bike or something along those lines. I guess I'll just keep rolling on my 26er until some come in, then pray I'm quick enough to get one.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,279
    Looks like they have a 22". Why not grab that, grab a frame you like, and swap parts? Probably be able to sell the motoB frame. Might not get a whole lot for the frame, but acceptable considering the price of everything else.

    Edit: never mind. google has failed me. This was for the 2012 XTR fly. Still a good price for the parts, if they're covered under manufacturer warranty.
    Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fly Team
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Looks like they have a 22". Why not grab that, grab a frame you like, and swap parts? Probably be able to sell the motoB frame. Might not get a whole lot for the frame, but acceptable considering the price of everything else.

    Edit: never mind. google has failed me. This was for the 2012 XTR fly. Still a good price for the parts, if they're covered under manufacturer warranty.
    Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fly Team
    They do have frame and fork deals but getting the components to go with it would cost $1,000 more than the package deal from BD. I could get an XT triple chain set with pretty much everything to build the bike, but I really don't want that. I just hope they restock the XTR 2 x 11 or even a 1 x 11. I guess we will see.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    So I couldn't wait. I ordered the Fly Team 19" Frame and Fork set. Comes with Reba RL, FSA Headset, and seat clamp. Then I finished off my credit card by purchasing nearly everything else tonight. Bought so much that my credit card company sent me a fraud alert that I had to answer before it would allow me to make the final purchase. Details of the build are:
    XT M8000 1x11 32T W/ BB Crankset
    XT M8000 Shadow Plus GS Rear Derailleur
    XT M8000 11-42T 11 Speed Cassette
    XT CN-HG700 11 Speed Chain
    XT M8000 Right/Rear Shifter
    XT BR-M8000 Ice Tech F/R Disc Brake W/ 160mm Rotors
    Easton EA90 100mm 0 degree Stem
    Easton EC70 XC Low Rise 685mm Handlebar
    Thompson Elite 410mm 27.2 Seatpost
    WTB ST TCS i25 Wheelset W/ Shimano XT M758(F) 15mmx100/M756(R) 135mm QR Hubs

    Still need to get a saddle, tires, rim tape, and grips. Might just use one of the saddles I have already. Any recommendations for tires? I see that Schwalbe seems to be pretty popular. I want at least a 2.25 inch tire. Purchases are up to about $2,230 so far, so final should be around $2,350 I'm thinking. Not to bad for this build with full XT M8000 I don't think, although it's still a serious chunk of cash. What do you all think of these selections? Thanks.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    So I couldn't wait. I ordered the Fly Team 19" Frame and Fork set. Comes with Reba RL, FSA Headset, and seat clamp. Then I finished off my credit card by purchasing nearly everything else tonight. Bought so much that my credit card company sent me a fraud alert that I had to answer before it would allow me to make the final purchase. Details of the build are:
    XT M8000 1x11 32T W/ BB Crankset
    XT M8000 Shadow Plus GS Rear Derailleur
    XT M8000 11-42T 11 Speed Cassette
    XT CN-HG700 11 Speed Chain
    XT M8000 Right/Rear Shifter
    XT BR-M8000 Ice Tech F/R Disc Brake W/ 160mm Rotors
    Easton EA90 100mm 0 degree Stem
    Easton EC70 XC Low Rise 685mm Handlebar
    Thompson Elite 410mm 27.2 Seatpost
    WTB ST TCS i25 Wheelset W/ Shimano XT M758(F) 15mmx100/M756(R) 135mm QR Hubs

    Still need to get a saddle, tires, rim tape, and grips. Might just use one of the saddles I have already. Any recommendations for tires? I see that Schwalbe seems to be pretty popular. I want at least a 2.25 inch tire. Purchases are up to about $2,230 so far, so final should be around $2,350 I'm thinking. Not to bad for this build with full XT M8000 I don't think, although it's still a serious chunk of cash. What do you all think of these selections? Thanks.
    Ended up getting a WTB Volt Race saddle, Maxxis Ignitor tires, Race Face Strafe lock on grips, and Kenda super light inner tubes. I think I got everything and the final cost is $2,380.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Surprised you did not go tubeless.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Surprised you did not go tubeless.
    I know the rims are tubeless capable but I have read a bit that they are a bit of a pain when going tubeless. I might give it a shot eventually. If my calculations are correct, the final weight should be around 24 lbs. Not too shabby for the price of this build.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    I know the rims are tubeless capable but I have read a bit that they are a bit of a pain when going tubeless. I might give it a shot eventually. If my calculations are correct, the final weight should be around 24 lbs. Not too shabby for the price of this build.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Really? With tubeless or tubeless ready tires I would think that they would mount up easy? What difficulties did you read about?
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Really? With tubeless or tubeless ready tires I would think that they would mount up easy? What difficulties did you read about?
    There were a few reviews on the WTB site but they might have not known what they were doing, kinda like me. I have never run tubeless so I just went with what was easy. I might try tubeless in the future. Also not sure the Maxxis Ignitors are tubeless capable or not. I got the 60 TPI folding version cause they were fairly light and priced well. They are only 2.1". If I don't like them I'll go larger when they wear out.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,279
    WTB rims set up tubeless for me just fine. tape the rims (2 layers), make sure there's no overhang on the bead shelf, put on the tire, and air it up with a compressor. The tires should slide into the rim shelf slots of the WTB rim. Pressure should hold decently except the valve stem and maybe the rim seam. If the tires unseat from the bead as pressure leaks out, check the rim bead shelf to make sure there's no tape on it.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Jedi Pre Orders
    By KillingtonVT in forum Canfield
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
  2. Boca Bearings 35% off orders over $25
    By FireLikeIYA in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  3. 20% off Nashbar, orders $50 or more
    By westin in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 07:24 AM
  4. Delayed Online orders
    By Enduramil in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM
  5. 29'er Frenzy Pre-orders
    By Chad_Money in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.