Disc Brakes for Fly Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Disc Brakes for Fly Pro

I am looking to convert my Fly Pro to disc brakes. What should I look for for my specific bike? Should I change wheel sets or keep the same ones? Should I worry about hydro or should I stick with cable? I am a noob and looking for advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you have disc ready wheels then I see no reason to buy new wheels. If your wheels do not accept discs then you need a new wheelset. Some people try to save money buy buying only hubs, but you need disc specific rims that are designed the types of loads pu on the spokes by disc brakes. Mechanical vs. hydraulic brakes is a tough one. It really is a matter of perference. Lower end hydraulics offer no adjustements at all which I do not like. It makes it really hard to adjust them so that the pads don't rub. Higher end hydraulics are really nice but expensive. I have a set of Avid Juicy carbons and they have a knob on the lever which lets you move the pads in and out which I like a lot. I also have a bike with Avid BB7s. What I like about the mechanical BB7s is that there are a lot more adjustments to dial in the brakes just how you want them. The downside is that obviously it takes more pressure to get an equal amount of braking out of them as the hydraulic. I have also heard a lot of horror stories of hydraulic brake problems/failures, but I have not experience any yet.

I guess if money was not in the equation I would opt for a high end set of hydraulics. But for value and adjustability nothing comes close to BB7s.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Great info to chew on.

Does BikesDirect sell them anymore. I saw on their site the upgrade option when purchasing a new bike but I dont see it anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think Bike Island is affiliated with bikes direct, and it is where you can order parts. I just bought a set of Vuelta Team wheels for my Jamis from them which are a great deal, $269 for a 1600 gram wheelset, you can't beat that! The brakes there are a little overpriced though. They have BB7s for $79, I think most places, including ebay, you can get them for $50.

http://bikeisland.com/index.cgi
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Members who have read this thread: 0