Disappointed with Island Bikes and Bikes Direct......Fantom 6x6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Disappointed with Island Bikes and Bikes Direct......Fantom 6x6

Is there any other supplier to get a Motobecane Fantom DS 6x6 from? I ordered a med sized bike thru bike island, only to have my order cancelled due to a missing rear wheel. I then ordered a med thru Bikes Direct ( I suspect they are the connected somehow ) only to have my order cancelled due to them not actually having the bike in stock. To be fair, each time I was issued a prompt refund, but I now have serious doubts ordering anything sight unseen from any company that can't keep its inventory straight. The bikes look great, and were at a fair price. Is there any other way to get one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    an update: received a call from Jim the owner of Bikes Direct, who seems to be going out of his way to rectify to situation and had gotten me the same bike. Will update once it arrives. Hopefully things pan out, but it is impressive that he reads the forums and takes time to personally address problems.

EAT MORE GRIME
    here is the lowdown....

Kinesis Industry Co. Ltd. is a manufacturer of aluminum and carbon fiber bicycle frames, forks, and components. Based in Taiwan, it has a plant in Guangzhou, China, and an American subsidiary (Kinesis USA, Inc.) in Portland, Oregon that generates $5-$10 million in annual sales.[1] The company was founded in 1989 by former employees of Giant Bicycles, and was headed by Tom Jeng until 2011, when he left to form Jovial Bike Components.

Kinesis manufactures and markets its own brand of frames, forks, complete bicycles and accessories[2] which are available only in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Israel, South Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, and the United Kingdom.[3]

Brands also manufactured by Kinesis include Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Schwinn, Jamis, K2, Raleigh, Trek, Kross and Kona as well as the brands marketed by the U.S. company Bikesdirect.com: Motobecane USA, Dawes USA, Cycles Mercier, Windsor America.

Kinesis employs 1,430 people.[4]

In December 2001, Kinesis acquired Mountain Cycle, a bicycle manufacturer in Portland, Oregon,[5] and in June, 2006, sold it to Ideation Industrial, a Taiwanese manufacturer.[6]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bike arrived today, without a hitch. Jim was true to his word. A solid and stand up guy. Will update in another post once I get her put together. Thanks for your hard work Jim!

mtbr member
    Not all BD bikes are from Kinesis, but I'd say the better ones are. Mine are not, but they still work well.

Bikeisland is basically bikedirects scratch and dent site. Don't know if they're located near each other, but I'd guess they are. Obvious that bike island gets all the returns or bikes that were messed up in shipping (crushed frames and forks, "lightly used" bikes, 25 bikes with the same type of damage). An additional source for these is amazon's SunCycleWarehouse and ebay's bikeshopwarehouse.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplace...&redirect=true
    bikeshopwhse | eBay

IMO, getting straight off bikesdirect is cheaper because they don't have the amazon and ebay fees. Once again, don't know if they're co-located, but they do have the same bikes that nobody else seems to sell.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"