Did I get the right fork?- Mtbr.com
    X'N
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Did I get the right fork?

I just got a Fantom pro from bikesdirect. It appears to me I got a RockShox TORA SL remote lockout, Adjustable Rebound, SoloAir.

BD's website lists a Tora RS318 RS318 WITH LOCKOUT, Up to 100mm travel*, Adjustable Rebound, SoloAir

Are they the same shock? Or is the SL a downgrade from the rs318? I rode a Windsor cliff pro with a Tora 318 and seemed to feel like a much nicer fork and had much more travel.

Here's a couple of pictures of the fork I have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Motobecanes often update their builds with the newer stuff but sometimes are slow to update the BD website. Rockshox no longer makes the Tora 318 that I know of. The SL is not listed on their website, so I figure it is probably an OEM fork. Its hard to say if it is better or worse than a 318. If you really want to know I would shoot Rockshox an e-mail.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    That's the same fork I have. The 318 is no longer manufactured.... I have zero issues with mine, but I have somewhat limited experience with suspension bikes.

Factory set at 80mm travel, but you can remove a spacer block on the air side when you do your first service, that will give you 100mm.

Just a hint... You may want to secure that front brake hose a little tighter, if it gets sucked in with your tire, it's gonna get messy!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    Just a hint... You may want to secure that front brake hose a little tighter, if it gets sucked in with your tire, it's gonna get messy!
    FYI, the hose should go between the fork and wheel, and across the front of the fork crown. Those little knobs on the arch are for the zip-tie keeping the hose in place.

mtbr member
    Based on a quick googly-oogley, they are very close price-wise.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJETT
    Based on a quick googly-oogley, they are very close price-wise.
    but are they very close performance wise? just order the same bike which will be delivered tues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazey
    but are they very close performance wise? just order the same bike which will be delivered tues.
    I would have to have ridden both to know that, no idea. I just googled prices.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    I have owned or trail ridden many 29er forks--- RockShox Reba in QR (all 3 flavors) ,Tora 318 ('08 I think) and Tora SL('09). Manitou 's Drake and Minute both QR. And the RST m-29.
    No Fox--I am not willing to pay the "premium" price, and apparently neither are any of my friends.....

The fork you got is a step up from the 318. Remote lockout, better bushings, lighter weight(not much though), and the rebound adjust is protected from damage a h*ll of a lot more with the extended bottom tube design.
    Take the fork/bike to a good LBS and have the oil changed out(volume and weight adjusted) and the spacer removed so you get the 100mm travel(or do it yourself--it is easy) and enjoy the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0