Debating between Fisher Mamba vs. Moto Fantom 29r elite- Mtbr.com
    Green Wrencher

Debating between Fisher Mamba vs. Moto Fantom 29r elite

So how quality are the frames from BD and Motobecane?

Say a Fantom 29er elite versus a GF Mamba? I like the G2 geometry feel of the Mamba's ride and am undecided.

Is the Motobecane Fantom 29r a worthy comparison? How different is it?

HTFU!
    I am not sure about the Mamba, but I have been considering a 29er and saw the Moto 29er Ti frame is almost identical in geometry to the GF Rig. If you have ridden the Mamba, compare its geo. to the Moto. As far as build quality, everyone has an opinion, but with few exceptions, they are all (Moto, Trek/GF, Specialized...) built overseas and they are all of comparable quality.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

banned
    Sep 2010
    The Fisher frame is significantly lighter as well as having propriatery geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    The Fisher frame is significantly lighter as well as having propriatery geometry.
    "Propreitary geometry" is just a marketing gimmick using different fork offsets. Any manufacturer could simply tweak their head tube angle to give similar handling. As far as weigh, what are the actual weights of the frames, I assume you have weighed them since you make such a statement.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    ljsmith, do you opine the distinguished floydlippencott could embellish the facts?

Besides his avatar is so cool.

Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    "Propreitary geometry" is just a marketing gimmick using different fork offsets. Any manufacturer could simply tweak their head tube angle to give similar handling. As far as weigh, what are the actual weights of the frames, I assume you have weighed them since you make such a statement.

What is so hard to believe? Fishers are known for being among the lightest available. G2 geometry is not a gimmick, as you yourself posted it is a different fork offset coupled with H.T. angle, which by the way is patented so "any manufacturer" cannot simply copy it. To the OP, I am sure that a moto will serve you well but you asked abut a comparison, as you see just in weight and geo there is no comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Floyd
    I was trying to make the same decision between the same bikes you are one year ago. I had a 20 year old GT Tequesta that I bought and rode in Phoenix, I moved away (to Florida) and the bike because just a general purpose bike. After 20 years, the bike was just plain worn out. So I started looking for a replacement. I did my research and went to my LBS, I zeroed in on the 29ers. I decided that would work for the simple trails in my area and would allow me to mountain bike again if the opportunity came up. I was impressed with the Fischer 29ers more than any other name brand. While reading reviews, I stumbled onto Bikes Direct. Because I'd done my research, I realized the bikes were a great bang for the buck. For $600 I could get comparable or better components than I could for a $900+ Fischer. I struggled with the decision but when I found out the Cycle Spectrum sold the Motos here in town, I went down and looked at the bikes. I ordered the bike Through Cycle Spectrum and everything was great. I have gotten into mountain biking a lot more than I thought I would. I ended up spending the summer in Asheville and rode nearly everyday. The Phantom 29er is a great entry bike, I had no failures and rode with folks with very high level bikes and had no problems. I'm now in the market for a high end bike and am seriously considering the FLY TI 29er. It's not a need issue, it's a want issue. The bike served it's purpose, it got me into the sport and has me moving up to better equipment. If I bought the Mamba, I'd be doing the same thing. If there wasn't a Cycle Spectrum right here in town, I would NOT have bought the Moto. I would have played it safe and bought the Mamba. I have no issues with Motobecane now.

As far as weight goes, I believe they are comparable but Fischer doesn't post their weights on that bike, so I'd review the forums and see if you can find an actual weight from an owner.

Have fun with the decision, I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

mtbr member
    I too used to live in Florida where there are Cycle Spectrum shops and probably wouldn't have purchased a Moto had an LBS not carried it.

That said, if your looking for a frame to fit tallish riders, 6'3"+, the GF frames may be a better choice. The Moto's seem a bit odd for the XL sizes; mostly upwards but little stretch in the length. Strictly a personal opinion.

Lule

Green Wrencher
    I'm a 34-35" inseam and 6'1 tall. I was liking the feel of the 21" frame of the Mamba.
    I live in SCarolina btw.

mtbr member
    The Moto is going to have a shorter wheelbase as well as a top tube length. With your inseam, you may find the GF to be a more comfortable bike. However, the GF may be a slower responding bike given the extra length and the HT angle being more slack.

Tough call.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    RDTigger,

I'm sorry, I direct my reply to Floyd. An error on my part.

BTW, I'm 6'1" with the same inseam. I got the 19 Moto, I was on the fence. It makes for a relaxed ride but I'll go more aggressive on the next bike (21). Sounds to me like you are sold on the Mamba, it's a great bike. A lesson learned, my base model Fantom had cable disk brakes, fine for Florida but they required maintenance after every ride in the mountains in Asheville to get peak performance. I cleaned the rotors and adjusted the pads after every ride. I would suggest if you consider hydros if your going to do "real" mountain biking unless you don't mind fussing with them every ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    the Mamba is retail $929.99 and the the Moto $895.95 ship to your door.
    Mamba has Dart 3 and the Moto has Tora with pop/loc
    Mamba has Shimano mechanical disc brakes and the Moto has Juicy 3
    i think the Moto has better component. i was on the same boat comparing Cobia and the Fantom Pro SL. i went with the Moto, better components and a lot less cheaper. Good luck and have fun.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I go with the Gravity 5! That's an awesome component package, it's like a Paragon (some of the components) for almost half the price. The Gravity line is brand new, I like the idea of GF geo at a bikes direct price. I going to study that line a bit myself, I might just get a G5. I need to learn more about them.
    Last edited by motox72; 04-05-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72
    I go with the Gravity 5! That's an awesome component package, it's like a Paragon for almost half the price. The Gravity line is brand new, I like the idea of GF geo at a bikes direct price. I going to study that line a bit myself, I might just get a G5. I need to learn more about them.
    Originally I was looking at the Point3 but the RShox Tora TK is a 5lb fork...ouch!

I might go for the Point4 with a Recon Silver. Just don't know if it has Solo Air/Coil or both?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Recon Silver is a 5lb fork too! Have to step up to the Recon Gold to drop some weight.

Green Wrencher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlee197853
    The Recon Silver is a 5lb fork too! Have to step up to the Recon Gold to drop some weight.
    Recon at 4.82lb and Tora at 5.19lb

slight difference in weight, huge difference in tech. Solo Air in the Recon vs Coil in the Tora

Members who have read this thread: 0