Debating between Fantom 29PRO SL and GT Peace 9r multi- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Debating between Fantom 29PRO SL and GT Peace 9r multi

I've been doing research on mountain bikes for two months but I just can't make a decision between these two. I can get a 2009 GT Peace 9r multi for about $526 after tax,
    while Fantom 29PRO SL is $996 on the BD's website. This will be my
    first mountain bike. What's your opinion? Thanks.

GT Peace
    http://www.rei.com/product/784254

Fantom Pro SL
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_SL.htm

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    If they're both in your price range, the Moto is a much better bike on paper. If you even get into the sport a tiny bit, you'll appreciate the front shock vs. the rigid fork of the GT. The Moto has MUCH better brakes, and great drivetrain, (XT / XTR vs. Deore is no contest).

You will need to do, or have done, some basic assembly them both. and the moto will require purchasing a shock pump for about 30 bucks.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

S*it Happens!
    They both have good frames, but, the fact remains…the moto has better everything else.

Good Luck!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    the Motobecane is a lot more than $400 better than the GT, as far as components go. if you can stretch the budget, get the motobecane. and for the record, i own a GT Peace 9r singlespeed

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=HamfisT]You will need to do, or have done, some basic assembly them both...QUOTE]

They don't ship the GT, so it will come assembled.

If you want suspension, get the Moto. If you want rigid, get the GT. The Moto is a much better bike, but the GT is a good deal for what it is.

How would you get it so cheap?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all the feedbacks, I really appreciated.

It's really a no brainer to get a motobecane 29er, man, for all those components for just
    one grand... The thing that bothers me most is, should it buy it now or wait?

If I buy it now, I can use it for commute everyday, maybe a few mountain bikings during
    the weekends. Then I will ride it in a few national parks in September, yes,
    I'll be traveling the whole month. Then I'll be out of the US for maybe 4 to 5 months
    so the bike will be left in the storage.

Does any of you bike experts know if bikesdirect' gonna reduce 2010's prices
    anytime soon based on your past experience?
    I know one grand isn't too much for some of you, but I'd kick myself for not waiting if
    the price drops $200 after I buy it. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO
    How would you get it so cheap?
    You can get it from nashbar, they have 25% off and free shipping(not entirely
    free for bikes though) now.

Dude, should I get the GT? :P
    I test rode it yesterday and it felt really solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i think you're comparing apple and oranges here. i mean one has front suspension and the other has rigid forks. if you can afford the moto i say go with the moto and if you're in a budget go with the GT. good luck!
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you're just getting into the sport, then getting a completely rigid bike is not the right thing to do in my opinion. Spend the extra $$ and get the Motobecane. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it's worth every penny!

The front fork alone on the Motobecane is nearly worth the $400 more, not to mention the dérailleurs, brakes (the GT has mechanical discs while the Motobecane has high end hydraulic disc brakes).

Either way though, you're getting a great bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0