Dawes Roundhouse vs Motobecane Fantom- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dawes Roundhouse vs Motobecane Fantom

I own a Moto Fantom Comp DS and love it.

I am getting my GF in to mountain biking and want to get her a full suspension as she is not liking the hard tail she is riding now. Obviously, because I am unsure how long she will stay with it I do not want to spend too much.

What does everyone think of the DAWES Roundhouse 2200/2500. Looks almost exactly the same as the Fantom DS except the rear shock is mounted on the bottom tube instead of the seat tube. Is this worse than how the Fantom is set up?

Thoughts?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/rh_25.htm
    $499 is a pretty screaming deal if it is similar in ride to my Fantom. U have a spare rear air shock and a better front fork I would retrofit on as well.
    -Nathaniel

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My buddies Dawes Haymaker is a nice bike for the cost. Where is that frame made?

mtbr member
    I assume Taiwan same place as all the other bikes on Bikes Direct.

Seems to me that it is the exact same frame as the motobecane fantom ds just with a different shock mount point.
    -Nathaniel

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My friend got a Haymaker 1500 and he swears it was marked made in China. That is the only reason I question.....not that there is anything wrong with it as it is a terrific bike for what it cost.

mtbr member
    I contacted Bikes Direct about the two bikes and how they may differ given a situation where components are the same between the two. They said the suspension design should perform very similarly but the Dawes frame is noticeably heavier.

Here is the email I got back from Bikedirect.com:
    Hello,

The frame performs very close to the Fantom DS frame, but it is a tank at over 5lbs frame and rear triangle only.

Thanks,
    Chris
    -Nathaniel

Members who have read this thread: 0