Cracked the frame on my 700DS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Cracked the frame on my 700DS

Pretty self explanatory I guess. What was supposed to just be a nice after class ride today turned into a bit of a problem. I noticed something felt pretty weird in the back and I hopped off and took a look. Sure enough, right after the weld in the rear triangle the frame had completely cracked. I'm hoping it will be covered by my warranty but we'll see, otherwise I'll have to try and get my buddies dad to weld it up for me or its bye-bye Moto. I did really enjoy the bike while I had it (about a month and a half). Worst case scenario is I get a new frame and just use all the components I had from my Moto. If anyone else has experienced a similar problem that they tried to get fixed through the warranty please let me know. Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bushwacker
    That seems like a weird spot to crack assuming you didn't have a hard hit in that area. Make sure you post Moto's response to your claim. I've been riding mine on rugged single tracks for a 1.5 years, I'm 225lbs, with no problems.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    please post your moto response, this appears to be manufacturer defect, no question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm still awaiting reply. I've emailed bikesdirect twice so far and haven't heard anything back. I cannot seem to find a phone number that is still in use anywhere either. If anyone has a phone number or some means of getting ahold of bikesdirect please let me know.

I didn't even hit hard or anything, I was actually climbing when I felt it happen. I'm hoping I don't have to wait forever for this to be resolved. It's killing me not having a bike to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    That seems like a weird spot to crack assuming you didn't have a hard hit in that area. Make sure you post Moto's response to your claim. I've been riding mine on rugged single tracks for a 1.5 years, I'm 225lbs, with no problems.
    That's a text book location for a crack to occur due to faulty weld/proceedure/faulty material (for any one of a number of reasons). Look carefully at all the other weld areas on the rear triangle for hairline cracks that have started but not gone all the way through. Use a bright flashlight and a magnifyer if you can. If there are no signs of impact from say a rock, hammer, or something else (I'm not saying not scuff marks--I mean OUTRIGHT ABUSE), you appear to have a valid warrenty claim. It will be interesting to see how Mike handles it.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by avw0516
    I'm still awaiting reply. I've emailed bikesdirect twice so far and haven't heard anything back. I cannot seem to find a phone number that is still in use anywhere either. If anyone has a phone number or some means of getting ahold of bikesdirect please let me know.

I didn't even hit hard or anything, I was actually climbing when I felt it happen. I'm hoping I don't have to wait forever for this to be resolved. It's killing me not having a bike to ride!

Hi
    sorry you have a broken rear Tri
    Rare, but stuff like this does happen

What e-mail are you using
    There is a room full of people answering e-mails all day, so I am shocked if yours has not been answered {it may not have come in Or be sent to the wrong e-mail address} Best would be [email protected] or [email protected]

There is a service phone number on your receipt

Plus all the contacts on the contact page

http://www.bikesdirect.com/contact.htm

Also you can PM me here
    If you PM - please include your Name, Phone Number, Etc

thanks
    mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I guess they answered it before I could even tell you guys. It did take longer to get a response because the first email was to the wrong address. Today I got an email telling me that they are ordering me a new rear triangle and should have it by next week to ship to me. I'm really pleased with the customer service and didn't mean to sound negative in my previous posts, its just a bummer when you're out of a bike to ride.

Bushwacker
    The crank/chain rings will have to be pulled to remove the pivot bolt. Are you going to do that?
    Also, if you ever wanted to paint the rear triangle another color, it couldn't be easier before it's installed. I painted mine and it's much harder when it's mounted.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't have a problem doing anything. I joined a "wrench club" at a local bike store where I get to use all their tools and equipment whenever I need. It's a really great deal and the guys are really helpful so everything goes smoothly. I'm not going to bother painting it, I plan on buying a downhill frame this summer and building a freeride/downhill bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sounds like Mike @ bikesdirect handled it perfectly. It's understadibly frustrating to break brand new equipment, but I'm glad you made the apology because they did do the right thing. The only way to avoid waiting for parts is to buy a bike from a shop, and then maybe you could get them to canibalize another bike to fix yours--maybe, but we all how much that cost to begin with...
    Woking on your own bike is awesome. especially when you go to a place like Moab. That wrench club is a great idea. Take a trueing class, and get a good foldable stand that you can travel with, and you'll NEVER need a mechanic for anything! In fact, your buds will be looking to you for help. HAVE FUN!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great news! Bikes Direct has shipped me my rear triangle replacement today! I'm definitely impressed with the customer service and the speed. Can't wait to have my new rear triangle and go riding!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    saweet... just out of curiosity did you find any pinholes or cracks in any of the other welds?

I'm saving for a phantom right now myself--Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No, other than where it broke the frame looks good. All of the welds look pretty good, I guess the one was just unlucky.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wouldn't expect the frame to have any problems at all. These two separate components are probably made on different ends of the factory, by different people, on different days, (or weeks). I was more curios about the other welds on the triangle. That would indicate some reason for the failure, but if there are none, without analysis, we won't know. Like Mike said: these things happen...

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by m4j2t
    Take a trueing class, and get a good foldable stand that you can travel with, and you'll NEVER need a mechanic for anything! In fact, your buds will be looking to you for help. HAVE FUN!
    Where do you take a trueing class? I have a little round trueing wrench and have watched videos on youtube on how to true, but I don't have the little stand to hold the wheel and whatever else is needed. I just do it right on the bike while holding something near the rim to see where to adjust. I get it close, but would like perfect. What stuff do I need to get and where do I get it?

Members who have read this thread: 0