Considering Motobecane- Mtbr.com
    noob

New question here. Considering Motobecane

I am considering buying a Motobecane from Bikesdirect. A couple questions:

-Are Motobecane bikes quality bikes at the same level as say a Gary Fisher or Specialized?
    -If so, why are they so much cheaper than comparable bikes from other manufacturers?
    -The bike I am considering is the Motobecane Fantom Pro 29. How is this bike rated?
    -Anything else I should know about Motobecane?

Apr 2009

Motobecane

-Are Motobecane bikes quality bikes at the same level as say a Gary Fisher or Specialized? I am not sure. In a few years I will be able to tell you that.
    -If so, why are they so much cheaper than comparable bikes from other manufacturers? I am guessing it is because they are basically online. No overhead, paying 3 sales dudes to serve you, and no paying for marketing is my guess.
    -The bike I am considering is the Motobecane Fantom Pro 29. How is this bike rated? Not sure, but I got a Fantom Pro Titanium and it is frigging light. Not sure the exact weight.
    -Anything else I should know about Motobecane?

All I can say is that I looked around a lot and could not find anything locally that could compare. In my area, it is tough to find a good XC bike hardtail. If you hate the frame, you could always take off the components and buy a new frame from some other brand. I have heard of people just buying the bikes for the components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can't say anything about the Fantom 29 Pro but I had a 700DS up until this afternoon. I liked it a lot, it was a good cross country bike but I broke the frame in under 2 months. This was probably mostly due to a poor weld leaving a massive heat affected zone so I'm hoping the warranty will cover it. The bikes are nice for the most part, I would not say they are the same quality as specialized or gary fisher though. The 700DS came with good components for the most part. I put a race face x-type xc crank in and it required a good bit of facing to get the frame square. Honestly though, from my personal experience I would not try to get yourself a "bargain bike" and I would just save up a little more money and get something you don't have any doubts about.

mtbr member
    I traded my specialized hardrock for a fantom trail. I feel the quality of the frame is comparable. but the componants are 10x better. I've been huckin the bike around and its held up great. I think there cheaper because no one can pronounce the name.

Motobey
    Quote Originally Posted by avw0516
    I can't say anything about the Fantom 29 Pro but I had a 700DS up until this afternoon. I liked it a lot, it was a good cross country bike but I broke the frame in under 2 months. This was probably mostly due to a poor weld leaving a massive heat affected zone so I'm hoping the warranty will cover it. The bikes are nice for the most part, I would not say they are the same quality as specialized or gary fisher though. The 700DS came with good components for the most part. I put a race face x-type xc crank in and it required a good bit of facing to get the frame square. Honestly though, from my personal experience I would not try to get yourself a "bargain bike" and I would just save up a little more money and get something you don't have any doubts about.
    I have a friend that has busted two Gary Frames. It can happen to any builder.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    I have a friend that has busted two Gary Frames. It can happen to any builder.
    Agreed. One of my riding buddies managed to crack his carbon GF Superfly. And another guy that I ride frequently with has busted 4 frames within the last year (3 Santa Cruz & 1 Banshee). Chalk it up to bad luck or bad trail karma, but no manufacturer is immune to cracked frame.

So far, knock on wood, my Fantom Pro Ti has been pretty reliable inspite of having to endure a few hard crashes. Last night, it rolled over 1,100 miles since I got it in Oct. Mileage was primarily on trails with 4 XC races thrown in. Except for the tires & handle bar, everything else is still stock.

Motobey
    Quote Originally Posted by eujinc
    Agreed. One of my riding buddies managed to crack his carbon GF Superfly. And another guy that I ride frequently with has busted 4 frames within the last year (3 Santa Cruz & 1 Banshee). Chalk it up to bad luck or bad trail karma, but no manufacturer is immune to cracked frame.

So far, knock on wood, my Fantom Pro Ti has been pretty reliable inspite of having to endure a few hard crashes. Last night, it rolled over 1,100 miles since I got it in Oct. Mileage was primarily on trails with 4 XC races thrown in. Except for the tires & handle bar, everything else is still stock.
    For me, I'm glad I got the moto is hit the trail hard kind of think of I hit the trail with it literally.
    But for all the falls, we still surviving. (me and the bike)
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

Members who have read this thread: 0