choosing tires..help!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

choosing tires..help!!

I have two options but I am not sure...Kenda Tomac Small Block 8 Tire vs panaracer fire xc...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I keep reading a lot of good reviews on the Kenda Nevegal. I have the SB8 on my 29PROSL and while ok, they are a little slick for my tastes. Over roots, rocks, or other hard surfaces I tend to slip with the SB8s

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Certainly knowing what terrain you ride and the typical weather conditions will help. I ran Fire XCs before and thought they were a fine tire. I am now running 2.3" Exiwolfs and again, they are a fine tire. What I can't tell you is how they will ride in your area. For example, there were some other tires on special but after reading reviews they were rated terrible in the wet. For me that was a deal breaker. I am not changing tires depending on the weather and I do ride when the dirt is damp, but the rocks and roots (of which there are a lot) are extremely slick. So, it was a no go for the other tire (can't remember which).

Looking at the tread of the tires you mentioned they seem to be very different. I think the SB8 is for fast hard single track where the Fire can be a more general purpose XC tire.

I am not at all a tire expert, but narrow down what you want it to do and I am sure we can come up with some suggestions. Then, look at them in the reviews section and see what the group thinks of them looking at people that do similar riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I like running high pressure, and fast tires like SB8 are great. They are a bit slippy in some conditions but 99% of the time they do the job. Fire XC Pros are way way grippier but have crazy rolling resistance.

Members who have read this thread: 0