Check your bearings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Check your bearings

I posted up a review recently of my first ride on my Fantom Pro SL and mentioned that the headset was crap. It wasn't just crap, it was destroyed. It looked as if someone took a hammer to hit. It was ovaled and the top bearings were seized. Oh, and despite what the description on the site says, they aren't sealed.

I'm still happy with my bike, but selling a bike with a defective headset is one thing. Selling a bike with a headset that looks as if it was intentionally damaged is just weak sauce.

I still recommend the bike, but for anyone who plans to buy the bike take a close look at your headset before you build it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sealed bearings are bearings that are in a cage as oppossed to just being loose. Sealed cartridge bearings are the ones sealed inside of the races , being fully enclosed. What you have is correctly refferred to as sealed or caged bearings.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well these 'sealed' bearings were destroyed either way and dry as a bone.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I had slop in my headset that I couldn't fully eliminate. I replaced it with a Hope headset. Much nicer.

The headset is a known cheap-out area on the Motos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I picked up a Chris King headset in Downieville this weekend. Put it on as soon as I got home...much better now.

Members who have read this thread: 0