can i turn my beloved outcast to a road bike?- Mtbr.com
    ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009

can i turn my beloved outcast to a road bike?

please 4 give me, lol, but i am playing with the idea of making my oucast a road ride. i got a new 29er 4 my birthday, but i still gotta lotta luv 4 my cane. i would put the 34 chain ring back on, roadie bars, and i was thinking a nice pair of schwalbe big apples. any thoughts or suggestions?? of course, i could just go back 2 bike directs and get a new bike, but i got 2 many bikes already!!...thanx

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sure you can turn it into a road bike, sounds like a cool project. Its a single speed right? A front road derailleur cannot be shifted properly with a mountain bike shifter, but if you don't have derailleurs theres no problems there. But you will probably need new brake levers because road bars use a larger diameter bar, I think you need like 24mm levers as opposed to 22mm which mountain bikes use.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thats not a bad idea. I too recently purchased a better bike and have thought of changing my '09 Fantom Trail into a road bike to ride the roads when its to muddy to ride or when I need a quick bike ride. Of course I have a lot to do to make it roadworthy. I was thinking about a Ritchey Carbon Road Fork. Switching the derailleurs to Shimano 10spd system. Full carbon stem, bars, and seatpost. No prefrence on crankset or wheels probably just a basic lightweight setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBERMISS
    Thats not a bad idea. I too recently purchased a better bike and have thought of changing my '09 Fantom Trail into a road bike to ride the roads when its to muddy to ride or when I need a quick bike ride. Of course I have a lot to do to make it roadworthy. I was thinking about a Ritchey Carbon Road Fork. Switching the derailleurs to Shimano 10spd system. Full carbon stem, bars, and seatpost. No prefrence on crankset or wheels probably just a basic lightweight setup.
    $40 in road tires that fit your rims will do far, far, far more than any other upgrade you could buy after that. If you are looking for a money-hole kind of project that would be a fun one though

I am looking to do something similar with parts bin stuff and/or used pieces. I plan on sticking with a mountain bike fork and other parts because I want to be able to have fun off the trails too and have a bike strong enough to ride stairs or hop stuff every know and then. I might just save some time and buy an Outcast or more likely the new Dawes Deadeye and go from there

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Once my RIG is completed I'll be doing the same. The plan it to run big apples, 42x16 fixed gear, and mustache bars. The matte copper should look good with an honey brown brooks.
    2007 Schwinn Fastback CX
    2009 Motobecane Outcast 29er 42/16 SS (commuter)
    2006 Gary Fisher RIG (frame up build) 32/18 SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkmage
    Once my RIG is completed I'll be doing the same. The plan it to run big apples, 42x16 fixed gear, and mustache bars. The matte copper should look good with an honey brown brooks.
    That would be a sweet setup. I've got 700 x 35 tires on my Outcast now that I have a higher end SS. I'm going to use the Outcast for rides and races that are in the soupy mud. The bearing in the Moto are pretty much toast now, so a little more mud won't hurt them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by octotat
    That would be a sweet setup. I've got 700 x 35 tires on my Outcast now that I have a higher end SS. I'm going to use the Outcast for rides and races that are in the soupy mud. The bearing in the Moto are pretty much toast now, so a little more mud won't hurt them.
    I hear ya there. I just rebuilt the stock freewheel and hub after 9 months of abuse. They are both in surprisingly good condition considering the care I've given them and the crap that came out of them. There was a solid layer of muck on the bottom of my ultrasonic cleaner after the rebuild.
    2007 Schwinn Fastback CX
    2009 Motobecane Outcast 29er 42/16 SS (commuter)
    2006 Gary Fisher RIG (frame up build) 32/18 SS

Members who have read this thread: 0