buying a motobecane 300HT, 400HT or 500HT????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

buying a motobecane 300HT, 400HT or 500HT????

New to mtb - What do you think about the 300HT, 400Ht or 500Ht for an entry level bike - for some non-agressive riding - say xc trails, 2 tracks??? What about disc brakes, yes or no??? I know some of you spend thousands of dollars on your bikes. Thanks for your input/advice.

twa
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    For $439 this would be a great entry level bike. Not a Moto but it looks to be a better deal with components that are definitely designed to get dirty.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

I've never ridden disc brakes, but I want them..

mtbr member
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane_700HT.htm

This is the bike to get if you can afford it. The extra 100 gets you much more for the money. Spend as much as you can, but I would start here. Components on the 500ht are poopy, comparably speaking.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

twa
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Either of those bikes we recommended will work, they feature the same components. They are slightly higher in price than what you were considering but for off-road riding you don't want to skimp...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What size frame do you ride? The Forge Sawback is still a better deal.

Oct 2007
    i have a 07 400ht and the brakes are a joke. ive adjusted them every way possible, broken them in, and they still suck. they're just flat out terrible. my 10+ year old canti brakes (with pads similarly old!) on my GT are better, by far. i ended up ordering avid SD7 vbrakes as a huge upgrade!

despite everyone saying the derailleurs are junk.. they're working alright for me. they skipped a few times before i adjusted them, but after that its worked good. shifts when i want, doesnt shift when i dont want it to. could be better, but for the price its really hard to complain, especially when the component is still doing its job.

i paid 260 for it off ebay, and its comparable to ~400 dollar bikes at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I agree with ^. Don't get disc brakes unless you get good ones. V-brakes are great unless you've ridden through water and even then you will be OK unless you are pushing the limits (ie. racing).

It's always hard to know when you are starting out how much you will like the sport, so it's really a challenge to make the right purchase in terms of your pricepoint.

Oct 2007
    had minor problems with the front acera derailleur on the PAVED trail today. held me up for about 20 seconds and then it started working perfectly again.. ive got a feeling its just going to decline and will need replacement soon. rear has never missed a beat yet.

the front brake is binding badly, i dont know if its the junk promax brakes or the line has gunk.. but either way, its just another issue with the terrible brakes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Promax = Junk (You see these on walmart bikes).
    Tektro = Entry level
    Hayes = Higher entry Level
    Avid = Top Mechanicals

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to go with a Trek 4300 - my LBS has a few 2007s for $280 - I think this is a better bike then the Motobecane - I don't want to do any upgrading. Seems like most of you have had issues.

Oct 2007
    the 4300 is equipped basically the same as a moto. low end shimano derailleurs, crappy tektro brakes, 80mm fork.. everyone else is selling the 4300 for ~$360 though so it sounds like you found yourself a deal.. especially if its backed by a local shop! but you'll probably be upgrading on that too.

they're both low end bikes.

Oct 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geremia
    Well, the Moto is like 1% better than the Dawes because its got a FiveD crankset that has removable chainrings if you want to go 2 x 9 or 1 x 9.

Otherwise, I would not recommend them really..
    I am using Avid BB5s on one of my bikes right now, and Tektro IO on a cheap bike I got over Xmas.

Basically the Tektro brakes are not fully broken in yet, but they are 50% the braking power of Hayes and 20% the braking power of Avids so far...

Having V brakes would probably be better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've own my Forge Sawback 5xx for over two + years, put it through the paces and still going tough! Great buy!! Get 10% off if you google "target.com coupons" or AAA members get 10% off. In my view if you buy a Trek get the Fuel, the entry models are too much $$ for what you get.

Oct 2007
    I got the 600HT on bikesdirect ebay for 330 shipped. Bought used Shimano XTR hydro brakes for 100 and I love my bike. Its more than sufficient for my xc riding.

mtbr member
    I like to pay attention to a handfull of critical thing when shopping for a bike, fork, brakes, derailers, and hubs/rims.

I have ridden bikes with both tektro IO and tektro aguila and the Aguilas are a signifigant step up.

You should try for at least a dart 2 fork, the dart 1's are bottom of the barrell.

Deore or higher components are essential too...

and double wall rims with name brand hubs are needed as well.

If you can get together the money for the 700HT, it has the best components of any of those bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandontw
    I like to pay attention to a handfull of critical thing when shopping for a bike, fork, brakes, derailers, and hubs/rims.

I have ridden bikes with both tektro IO and tektro aguila and the Aguilas are a signifigant step up.

You should try for at least a dart 2 fork, the dart 1's are bottom of the barrell.

Deore or higher components are essential too...

and double wall rims with name brand hubs are needed as well.

If you can get together the money for the 700HT, it has the best components of any of those bikes.
    What do you think about Skye hubs on 700HT.

Members who have read this thread: 1