• 06-12-2009
    stallion09
    Brakes and Derailleur Help
    I received my 700DS yesterday. The box and its contents in perfect condition:). The assembly took me about an hour. I took my time for most of it. Part of the problem was finding my Torx bit for the front rotor. The issue I have now is the brakes and derailleurs do not work! They are put together correctly but I think they need someone to set the tension properly. I cannot get either derailleur to work and the brakes are very mushy. I have tried to do it myself with no luck.

I think the problem is with the cables themselves. They are just not tight enough. I think it is just a matter of making them tighter and believe me I have tried, but I cannot get the gears or brakes to work properly. I have removed the cables from the mounting post on either the caliper or the derailleur and pulled them as tight as possible but it does not seem to help.

Has anyone run into this problem?
  • 06-12-2009
    Gringo
    That's an understandable predicament for a newcomer. The derailleur adjustment instructions that came with the bike are actually pretty good. Did you attempt to read and follow the directions first?

I'm not sure what brakes come with that bike, so I can't comment. Do you have any friends who may be able to help and show you?

G.
  • 06-12-2009
    stallion09
    It was pretty late last night so I kind of just skimmed the information. I am going to give it another shot tomorrow morning with all the directions in front of me........................
  • 06-12-2009
    Gringo
    Give it a try. I've been doing this for a long time, and lonly looked at the instructions last year because they came with my Fly. I was impressed and thought they were well written. Instructions or not, finding some help will help alleviate some of the frustration. Good luck, I'm heading to the mountains for the next couple of days.
    G.