Bout to buy a Motobecane Fantom Trail Stuck on what Frame size to get? Need Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Bout to buy a Motobecane Fantom Trail Stuck on what Frame size to get? Need Help

Hi all new to the forums and been wanting to get my first real mountain bike

Im bout to buy a fantom trail the sizes listed are 16 18 20 22.

I am 5''6
    150 lbs
    inseam is 30 yes i have kinda long legs for my height.

I believe i am a 16 or 18 but dont know exactly.

It comes with a 120mm fork does that have to be into account about frame size?

I have an old moutain bike a motiv rockridge and its a 19.5 frame i believe cause it feels big i can ride it but i have to reach really far to reach the handle bars gets uncomfy after a while.

What do u guys think would be a better more comfy fit for me?
    Last edited by alphaqforever247; 05-31-2009 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Based on your measurements get the 16. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and opted for the 18. as you already know better to error on the small side as opposed to the large size for mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lostemple
    Based on your measurements get the 16. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and opted for the 18. as you already know better to error on the small side as opposed to the large size for mountain bikes.
    My current Trek has a 30.5" standover.

My inseam in shoes is 32".

I followed the Moto chart to the letter and went with a 15" which gives a 30.5" standover - just like my Trek.

I know the number 15 sounds small - but went by my current bike and Moto spec.

So can we assume that a 15 may be just fine in a 29er??

I know I don't want to be too stretched out or have the bar too high for sure on a MT bike.

mtbr member
    if you are 5'6"
    get the small - unless you like racking your boys or are into that kind of thing...
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    if you are 5'6"
    get the small - unless you like racking your boys or are into that kind of thing...

I went according to their charts and got the 15".

I am a bit worried about the size, but I measured my current Trek top tube length center to center and it is .5" shorter than the 15" Motobecane and my stand over is the same as the Moto 15".

So height and width wise it sounds good even though people are saying online to go bigger. I think every bike is different not to mention 29ers are very different.

Jul 2009
    I just assembled mine yesterday.
    I'm 5'8" and bought an 18" frame. My nads rest on the top tube so I would
    suggest for you a 16" frame.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah i ended up gettting the 16 i got the bike a bout a month ago thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was paranoid I had bought too small according to others posting telling people to buy larger frames.

I am 5'10" - Inseam in shoes of 32".

The 15" Moto Fantom Pro SL fits perfectly - it may be due to the longer bar clamp.

Fits well, rides well, turns well, no flop over when turning slow tight turns etc.

Hope this helps, I think you could go 15" and smaller or stay on the small end.

Members who have read this thread: 0