Bikesdirect.Need Suggestions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bikesdirect.Need Suggestions.

Checked out the site and they have some good deals,but there are just so many options.Anyone want to comment on a beginner bike around the $500-$600 range? Used mainly for gravel,dirt and some off road.I'm eyeing the 700HT.

DynoDon
    If I lived in NC I'd want to ride the trails, http://www.singletracks.com/north-ca...trails_26.html
    The more you spend the better the bike, you'll do fine with any bike, but the less you spend now the more you'll spend in upgrades later, its much cheaper to spend the money now, you'll end up with alot more for your money. So get the best bike you can afford, is a good idea.
    You'll need gear, tools, a good maintance book like, Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintance, watch youtube for build up, tune up and tips. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just got the 700HT a few months ago and it is a great bike. I have been riding it hard on the trails with no problems, so for your needs it would be perfect. If you are a beginner I wouldn't worry too much about upgrades at this point. The drivetrain is solid, the only possible upgrades would be saddle, seat post, and stem, which are pretty typical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    If I lived in NC I'd want to ride the trails, http://www.singletracks.com/north-ca...trails_26.html
    The more you spend the better the bike, you'll do fine with any bike, but the less you spend now the more you'll spend in upgrades later, its much cheaper to spend the money now, you'll end up with alot more for your money. So get the best bike you can afford, is a good idea.
    You'll need gear, tools, a good maintance book like, Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintance, watch youtube for build up, tune up and tips. Happy Trails
    Are there a tool kit for bicycle maintenance that has the most common needed tools?

I just got the 700HT a few months ago and it is a great bike. I have been riding it hard on the trails with no problems, so for your needs it would be perfect. If you are a beginner I wouldn't worry too much about upgrades at this point. The drivetrain is solid, the only possible upgrades would be saddle, seat post, and stem, which are pretty typical.
    Thanks for the info.

DynoDon
    at the bottom of the bike direct page there are tools that you can carry in your pack on the trail, or you could buy Crank Brothers, or another multi tool, (I have the Crank Brothers multi tool, 5 stars for sure) there is also a derailleur hanger on the bottom of the page that is a good thing to have with you on the trail, they're made to break off instead of damaging the deraileur, sometimes they bend, and it will be hard to shift, either way, its good to have a spare, then you can straighten the bent one at home or have a dealer straighten it, then carry it as a spare.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You could also check out the Fantom Trail HT.. GREAT value for the money, and it DOES take a beating well.. I have about 200 miles on mine so far since I got it, and not one issue..

If I had it to do over, I'd seriously consider the DS Fantom though. The ass takes a beating on occasion on singletrack trails.. LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0