Bikesdirect/Cycle Spectrum Goodness- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Bikesdirect/Cycle Spectrum Goodness

I picked up my new black Fantom 29er (19 inch) last night. I went into the Cycle Spectrum in Orlando a week ago (Wednesday) and placed the order. The bike arrived Tuesday and I picked it last night. I looked it over good, test rode by running it through the gears, it performed flawlessly.

I decided to order it through Cycle Spectrum instead of BD, not because I couldn't assembly the bike but because if anything was wrong, I wouldn't have to deal with it (or at least that was the theory). It would be the shop's problem. I dealt only with the Manager/owner (Frank) and I found him to provide excellent service. I read reviews on CS here locally and the review were split. I can only assume that these customers didn't all deal with Frank. All my dealing with him have been great, no pressure to buy anything else. I did buy a couple of items (that I would normally buy online) just because I was so pleased with the experience.

Oh BTW, there wasn't any additional charges (except sales tax), the prices on all the bikes were identical to the BD website. CS in Orlando offers service for life and for many customers, I'm sure that's a really nice bonus.

I'll attach pictures tonight. The black looks better in person that it does in photographs (JMO). I'll see if I can do it justice.

mtbr member
    So there was no charge for assembly and set up over and above the BD price?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That is correct. No charge for assembly and set up. All the bikes, were priced exactly as BD does. The state of Florida got some extra money though (sales tax).

mtbr member
    I am so close to buying a 29er right now. Was leaning toward the Moto. The value they represent is truly tempting. But now I'm not so sure. The local CS in Plano TX charges a $100 assembly/setup fee. They justify it with offering free tune-ups for life. Yeah right. I can tune my own bike.

Why in the world doesn't CS have some kind of system wide policy regarding pricing? Yours is not the first I've heard of different policies for different markets within CS. I would like to hear from BD/CS on this subject. I know they read this forum.

I am getting more and more skeptical of doing business with BD or CS. They are owned by the same people but don't seem to act as extensions of either. They don't seem to be pulling from each others strengths. Too many mysteries. No perception of consistency in policies or practices doesn't inspire confidence. At least not with me.

mtbr member
    Is this a big deal? If you can tune yourself, I suspect you can assemble it yourself. Get the bike through CS unassembled.

Is the different policies between stores (in different states) unsettling enough to make you spend a bunch more on an alternate brand?

Heck, I see different policies and/or prices in some retailer chains from city to city (or even block to block).

mtbr member
    No big deal assembling myself. It just would be nice to have some consistency similar to Performance stores.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well all I can say is it was a good buying experience for me. No sales pressure, no tactics, no switcheroo. He didn't even try and push me into the next higher package level (or something they had on the floor). He answered my questions and let me decide at my own pace.
    Last edited by motox72; 06-17-2010 at 06:36 PM.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by motox72
    The black looks better in person that it does in photographs (JMO). I'll see if I can do it justice.
    I think all bikes look better in person then in a photo.

Thank's for the cycle spectrum heads up and small review.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    I sent bikesdirect a PM about pricing policy between stores. Turns out that CS and BD are pretty independent and not an extension of one another. Explains the pricing issue I have been concerned about. Guess I'll be assembling it myself when and if the time comes.

Now lets see....which one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I bought the fly ti 29er from bd earlier this spring and this past week on tues the 22nd I ordered a spare deraileaur hanger from them I received it today friday I would like to commend there service I live in N.W. Pa now that is what I call fast. btw shipping was free very reasonable

Members who have read this thread: 0