bikes direct guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

bikes direct guy

I emailed the guy who runs bikedirect.com.I love my bike and have had no complaints but my chain broke today.I have only had the bike a month if that.can we get me a new chain?I promise not to ***** about what my chin and knee look like cause of the chain break.Yeah I lubed it,with pedro's.this was a overnight ride that wasn't for me.
    Thanks,
    Guy in pain

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    At first glance I thought it was the powerlink connector. But upon further inspection of your pic it looks like a regular link. I have heard some people complain about the chains on the Motos before, but I have never had problems. You should go buy an SRAM or Shimano chain. If you get a warranty replacement they will just send you the same low quality chain.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    At first glance I thought it was the powerlink connector. But upon further inspection of your pic it looks like a regular link. I have heard some people complain about the chains on the Motos before, but I have never had problems. You should go buy an SRAM or Shimano chain. If you get a warranty replacement they will just send you the same low quality chain.
    I haven't gotten ahold of anyone yet.I would hope that they would upgrade/replace my chain.Wasn't planning on upgrading new parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Were you shifting while pedaling uphill when it broke, by chance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    Were you shifting while pedaling uphill when it broke, by chance?
    LOL,no.I learned not to shift pedaling uphill the hard way.That was years ago.I was riding down this hill then up the other side.I had already selected my gear 2 obstacles beforehand.Most of this trail is just pumping thru,in all about 2 miles of trails.
    In the 15 years I have been riding mtb's I have never broke a chain.I wasn't expecting it from a new bike that's for sure.Maintenance is very important to me so that isn't a issue.I know I could throw a power link on there and be done with it,but it's a new bike.Other than the chain I have no complaints about the bike or bikesdirect.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by dyersburgguy
    I haven't gotten ahold of anyone yet.I would hope that they would upgrade/replace my chain.Wasn't planning on upgrading new parts.

Hi
    Sorry you have a broken chain. This happens to all brands of chains for all types of reasons. But my guys in the office should be able to take care of it for you. {PM me if you not not get a quick response to your e-mail to them}

We spec chains from KMC, Shimano, and Sram -- all seem very good to me and there is no correalation between brand we use and durability. I wish there was; if there was a chain that was more fool proof than others; we would just spec that. {by the way, chains are just like other components - name on it does not always tell you who made it -- many from the same factories}

thanks for your purchase
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Hi
    Sorry you have a broken chain. This happens to all brands of chains for all types of reasons. But my guys in the office should be able to take care of it for you. {PM me if you not not get a quick response to your e-mail to them}

We spec chains from KMC, Shimano, and Sram -- all seem very good to me and there is no correalation between brand we use and durability. I wish there was; if there was a chain that was more fool proof than others; we would just spec that. {by the way, chains are just like other components - name on it does not always tell you who made it -- many from the same factories}

thanks for your purchase

mike
    I hear ya,I've been contacted.Thanks,as I said I have no complaints.I've already placed 3 more orders.

mtbr member
    New chain on the way.Thanks.

mtbr member

tired

how long after you emailed them did you post this complaint?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    how long after you emailed them did you post this complaint?
    Wasn't a complaint.I knew that the bikesdirect guy was a member here,knew that motobecane was one of their products.Figured it would be a good way to contact him.
    While I was researching for a new bike I had read that they(Bikesdirect) were trying to improve the their customer service image.So I figured that it would be beneficial for anyone interested in their product to see how my problem played out.Everything worked out.

What's the rule on posting about this kinda stuff?couldn't find anything on the site about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Last edited by fireflock; 03-26-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: wrong place, my bad.

mtbr member

no rules

just write

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    just write
    will do

mtbr member
    What is unusual about a broken chain?

Chain that came on mine was just like any other good chain. They do break.

Badly adjusted derailleur can help with that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow. Imagine the surprise of a one month old chain breaking a link. I wish I could get a replacement every time that happens to me (2X per year or so).
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Motobey

chain ah

I hear about broken chains, I have to say I wish my boy will learn to brake a chain. He has gone through two hub in less than a year, and they both say Shimano on them. What's really amazing is that the chains have lasted.
    I wish the cheaper things would brake. by the way I'm dumping shimano, and trying something different.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    All I want to know is how did you hurt your chin? Did the chain break and part of it shoot up and hit you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui'lan Fett
    All I want to know is how did you hurt your chin? Did the chain break and part of it shoot up and hit you?
    honest question: have you ever broken a chain before? It is very easy to put a knee/crotch/chest/face/etc into the stem or bars. When the pedal suddenly gives way with no resistance all that force you were pedaling with becomes forward and downward motion for your body

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    honest question: have you ever broken a chain before? It is very easy to put a knee/crotch/chest/face/etc into the stem or bars. When the pedal suddenly gives way with no resistance all that force you were pedaling with becomes forward and downward motion for your body
    Twice total. Once spinning a granny gear on the road and the other time going downhill, so I've never experienced this. Never thought of that. It seems so horribly logical.

mtbr member
    Twice total. Once spinning a granny gear on the road and the other time going downhill, so I've never experienced this. Never thought of that. It seems so horribly logical.
    Horrible is probably the right word, lol. SS crowd probably has a higher portion of injuries from this.

I've only broken one chain so far; I was standing up and cranking uphill on my SS. It was a weird feeling of instantly and quickly falling through the ground even though the bike was going slowly uphill. Very thankful to avoid serious contact with the stem and top tube

Feb 2009

KMC Chains Seem to Break More

I had the narrow KMC chain on the FLY XC and it bent and started mis shifting after a short time, like 15 rides (and noooo I wasnt clunking into shifts while cranking up a wall!). The LBS said chains shouldnt bend easily like that then cease at the link. I replaced it with a shimano which I guess is heavier and not a bit of trouble for 50 rides. I dont think its normal for a good chain to break or bend catostrophically after a short time use? I think the KMC chains are just ultra light and BD specs the cassette as an 11 - 27 road style and the chain for weight and cost savings - any way you look at it even with the modifications they have a great deal...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikepej
    I think the KMC chains are just ultra light and BD specs the cassette as an 11 - 27 road style and the chain for weight and cost savings - any way you look at it even with the modifications they have a great deal...
    Whole lot of people are running KMC 9SL (and 10SL on MTB) without problem. Prices for them do not seem to be any cheaper then for Shimano or SRAM, same for Ultegra cassette... It is certainly not a low end chain - even if less sturdy the SRAM crossstep (my favorite) or Shimano XTR (do not use them because of the stupid pin - I like taking chain off for cleaning - best thing for chain longevity IMO)..

As far as the "road" cassette - 22 to 27t is a perfectly adequate lowest gearing for a racing hardtail. I am the opposite of a ultra fit racer, and never have any troubles in the local steep hills. Though I am thinking of getting a 27-40 2x9 setup - then I would swap the rear to 11-32/34...

mtbr member
    No piece of chain.It happened just as others have explained it.Hurt like hell at the time.

I was out of town for a few days but when I returned I had a brand new sram chain.
    No problems with getting a replacement.Thanks BikesDirect.

Apr 2009
    What is the best thing to clean a dirty chain with and then what do you use to keep it lubricated?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cementum
    What is the best thing to clean a dirty chain with and then what do you use to keep it lubricated?
    Most times I just use a old rag and wipe all the crud off.Then relube.Been using Pedro's but might try a wax based lube and see how I like it.
    I have used a chain washer I bought at Dick's a couple times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cementum
    Read this whole page.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    looks old and rusty to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teeroy
    looks old and rusty to me.
    that's cause you need glasses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dyersburgguy
    that's cause you need glasses.
    It looks like you are not nice not only towards bikesdirect.

I guess we should treat you reported "problems" with a large grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    It looks like you are not nice not only towards bikesdirect.

I guess we should treat you reported "problems" with a large grain of salt.
    Not nice?WTF are you talking about?From the very first post, till now. I have nothing but good things to say about them and my bike.Yes I was a bit irritated when the chain broke.They replaced it,with a better one. No complaints at all.Just so you know I sent them a email apologizing for being short and rude.It happens.
    Looks rusty?You gotta be frikkin blind.It's still shiny.I could send you the chain for a expert inspection.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would hypothesize that more chains on Motobecanes break because they are a good budget build suited to entry-level riders. I know that (as one progresses from entry-level) proper shifting technique is something that is perfected over time. Improper technique is the most common reason for a chain break.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I would hypothesize that more chains on Motobecanes break because they are a good budget build suited to entry-level riders.
    They use the same quality of chains and cassettes as any other builder in a comparable price range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    They use the same quality of chains and cassettes as any other builder in a comparable price range.
    I believe he was emphasizing the latter part; that entry level riders who haven't learned the nuances of shifting technique usually buy these bikes and that poor technique is what makes the chain more likely to break. I'm not sure how strong that correlation really is, but I can definitely see the logic in it

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I believe he was emphasizing the latter part; that entry level riders who haven't learned the nuances of shifting technique usually buy these bikes and that poor technique is what makes the chain more likely to break. I'm not sure how strong that correlation really is, but I can definitely see the logic in it
    Thanks for clarifying on that - chains don't just break, it is the rest of the system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Any news on the availability of the Fly Ti?

Is there any news on when they might get in more of the Fly Ti?? I have been waiting very patiently, but I have a limit and might be forced to look else where. I would like one to ride in my first Leadville 100.

Can someone give me an estimate on when to expect more?

Thanks in advance

James

NardoSS
    Agree, newb mistake. I used to break lots of chains.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by thetaseeker
    Is there any news on when they might get in more of the Fly Ti?? I have been waiting very patiently, but I have a limit and might be forced to look else where. I would like one to ride in my first Leadville 100.

Can someone give me an estimate on when to expect more?

Thanks in advance

James
    James

FLY Ti ships this week around May 27
    and would arrive around June 25th to June 30th

As soon as we have confirmation of shipping, we will put up on pre-book at a bit lower price than the new 2010 price

Members who have read this thread: 0