Which bike would you choose?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Which bike would you choose?

32 year old, 165lbs, in shape. Haven't biked since my teens, looking to pick up a more entertaining hobby than running. My budget was $1k, so the closer to that the better, however, I'm comfortable buying any of the bikes listed below even though they are above budget. I will be riding trails in Charlotte and western NC.

MB Fantom 27.5 Comp 6X6 $1099

MB HAL5 Comp $1299

MB HAL5 NX $1399

Fuji Reveal 1.1 $1099

I'm leaning towards the Fantom because it seems to be spec the same as the HAL5 comp and it has through axles for $200 less. Unfortunately they may be sold out because it won't let me put it in my cart.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I went with the Fuji Reveal 1.1. The Fantom was sold out unfortunately. The HAL5 that was comparable to the Fuji was $200 more and didn't have thru axles like the Fuji. I really liked the Motobecanes, but ironically my budget pushed me to the Fuji.

mtbr member
    Just be aware that BD list some stupid "just compare to" pricing, like that bike you are looking at from them, that they can even say that it compares to other $5-6k bikes is such a damn joke it isn't funny, you can pick up a bike with Deore parts from any big brand for around $2k. Best advice, don't buy any of those antiquated bikes from BD go to a local Trek shop and test ride the new FuelEX line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Im liking my phantom but you will need someone to put it together for you if you dont know how. Makes a huge riding difference. The through axle is really only good if your gonna ride it hard. For cross country and some freeride and downhill the qr has been fine. I don't know of anyone bending a quick release. Never understood through axels really. I know they stiffen thinks up but maybe I just need to ride one.
    Last edited by thunder; 03-27-2017 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just be aware that BD list some stupid "just compare to" pricing, like that bike you are looking at from them, that they can even say that it compares to other $5-6k bikes is such a damn joke it isn't funny, you can pick up a bike with Deore parts from any big brand for around $2k. Best advice, don't buy any of those antiquated bikes from BD go to a local Trek shop and test ride the new FuelEX line.
    I noticed that. I don't know why they need to exaggerate. The bikes are already good deals. There's no need to overstate how good of a deal they are. It takes away from their credibility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder View Post
    Im likimg my phantom but you will need someone to put it together for you if you dont know how. Makes a huge riding difference. The through axle os really only good of your gonna ride it hard. For cross country and some freeride and downhill the qr has been fine.
    Thanks, I wanted the Fantom 6x6, but unfortunately they were sold out. It was the best deal of the 4.

mtbr member
    what did you end up getting flewbye?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder View Post
    what did you end up getting flewbye?
    I got the Fuji Reveal 1.1. I've put about 50 miles on it and I really like it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which bike would you choose?-1130456d1491535519-fuji-reveal-1-1-would-like-some-opinions-img_20170402_1858061.jpg  

Which bike would you choose?-img_20170406_1834181.jpg  

Which bike would you choose?-img_20170406_1834111.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, that is extrememly similar to the moto fantom. I like it. I've never seen those on bd before. Just looked and thats a good value. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I dig that truck rack!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdoss123 View Post
    I dig that truck rack!
    Thanks! It's got E-clip brackets on the end so you candidate easily attach and detach it. I racked my brain trying to think of the simplest design I could so that I wouldn't have one of those gargantuan DIY racks that people put in their trucks. I think I could add at least 2 more bikes without having to alternate handlebar directions.

mtbr member
    How's the Fuji holding so far? People bash BD for a million reason but honestly, if you can cut away the clutter, get a bike at blowout prices, then upgrade various components where needed, you really do get some awesome bikes. I got a hal5 and now I swear it rides just as good, if not better than my Trek & C'dale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's all about IMAGE IMO. One person said that he saw a carbon MB frame that had rice paper inside instead of carbon. I said to myself...>SURE YOU DID. He's a former road racer, and now a MB traveller. I still call BS on him. The frames are just every bit as good as rival brands. My garage is getting filled with MB bikes soon!

mtbr member
    Well, the Hal6 would seem to do better more downhill..... I mean, the travel is far greater (160mm vs 120mm). 120mm travel is more suitable for trail and light on all mountain. And besides on the 29r, you can a bit more easily roll over things. Personally I would pick the Hal6 since I enjoy the slacker head and longer travel.