Bike Island Fantom Elite Frame Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Bike Island Fantom Elite Frame Question

I currently have a 700HT and Iím looking to upgrade a little bit while keeping the cost spread out. My two biggest complaints are Iím riding around 20-50 miles a week and starting to find the stock Dart 2 to be lacking at times. Also the burnished ball finish of the 700 frame is my least favorite color. If nothing it is just too bright.

Recon 351s seem to get good reviews and are reasonable in weight and performance. Unfortunately, seems they are being phased out and they are either too expensive or out of stock...or no longer carried.

What has caught my eye is the Fantom Elite frame/fork combo at Bike Island.

What my plan would be is to part out my 700 temporarily to put together the Fantom frame. There would be some exceptions. I would put a new BB and crank in rather than move the old one from the 700. I like my current Avids even though they are only 5s (I donít do much bombing) so I would probably install new 7s because they are easy to find at a good price point. Also the wheels w/brake discs should swap right over.

As time would go by I would be replacing the older swapped parts as needed, and when good sales happen, or if anything broke. Ultimately I would swap the parts back to the old 700 and have either a spare bike/loaner for a friend.

So I guess I'm asking is my logic okay or is it full of holes? Let me hear some thoughts.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think you are on the right track. The Fantom is a nice, upgradeworthy frame. The 700ht is really a very low end frame with some decent parts on it. Building a bike can be fun. For me it is one of the funnest parts of biking, personalizing my bike and getting the exact components that I want. And if you are willing to wait for deals it can be done for not too much money.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    You said it. In addition to riding I think tinkering has to rate pretty high. The 700 has worked out pretty good so far and looking forward to starting a Fantom Project in the near future.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Snap up that frame/fork combo, as that's what you'll pay for just for the fork.

The WTB SpeedDisc wheels are tough and light enough to swap over.

The 5's should be adequate as it shares the 7's pads. Probably just a small weight difference in the calipers.

The Fantom is as solid a frame you'll find for the money, bar none.

mtbr member
    When I first started looking at replacement forks I noticed the frame/fork price vs. just a decent fork. That was a good part of the reason for asking here.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

S*it Happens!
    That's a good deal, jump on it! LOL!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifeÖthe trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0