Best 29er in the $700-$1,000 range- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Best 29er in the $700-$1,000 range

About me:

Been using a 26" hardtail, steel, that weighs roughly 35 pounds for the past 14 years. Never ditched it because even with the stock fork and some replacement of failed parts over the years, it's never really crapped out on me and has proven to be incredibly reliable. For its weight, I've put over 1,000 miles on trail/road biking each year routinely. While it's a drag, I am able to do fairly steep trails and make 1,000+ feet plus climbs with it. I'm hoping a 29er can speed some of this up.

I bought a roadbike from bikesdirect and it's been great for the past 4 months so I feel comfortable going the mountain bike route. Thing is, I spent weeks researching before I made my purchase an I'm hoping some of you guys can help me with recommendations so I don't have to swamp myself with new parts information.

Goal:

I am looking at a 29er bike. I am willing to spend up to $1,000, but would also consider paying a fee hundred extra if the upgrade/improvements were THAT much better. Any main things I should pay attention to or specific parts recommendation is also welcome. I'm sure anything will be many leaps in technology over what I currently use.

mtbr member
    My big question is what you want from the bike. Are you looking at a full suspension 29er, hardtail, maybe a fatbike? What trails are you riding? XC, AM, downhill, fireroad? And yes, I consider the fatbikes on par with the 29er once you consider the increased outside diameter of the wheel. The problem with fatbikes is part availability, but that will come pretty soon.

As always, the more you spend, the better the deal. Stay away from anything with a suntour XCT fork. Fine for beginners to start with, but worth the money to get something better. Shimano hydraulic brakes normally are better than SRAM hydraulic brakes, but once set up right, they both work good. Side note, if you wait till blackfriday and sign up on bikedirect's facebook page and email list, they normally have a couple bikes on a really good deal.

I have a gravity 29.2 that I've swapped over a recon silver fork and some BB7 brakes. I like it a lot. For the price, the following is probably one of their better bang for the buck bikes if the size fits you. good fork and a good parts list. Not a huge fan of the wheel hubs they use, but almost all sub $1k bikesdirect bikes has a similar hub.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point4 29er Mountain Bikes

for a cheap intro bike. Half the price, but still lots of fun.
    29er Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 529HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I am considering getting the Gravity 29Point4. Would like a hard tail for riding rails to trails.
    Really I am supposed to be looking for a bike for my wife but might get this and when she says she doesnt like it I will get her something else....IDK. Seems like a good deal.

how do you figure out the weight?

mtbr member
    Buy 2, one for you and one for your wife.

The 29.4 is probably overkill for rails to trails. If you plan on riding tougher trails, definately go for it. If you're just going for the rails to trails, check out the motobecane 429. They dropped the price to under $400, and it's a good bike that'll handle most beginner and some intermediate trails.

Best way to do weight is take it to your LBS and have them weigh it. otherwise, step on a scale with the bike and without the bike, subtract. If you're looking at weight weenie bikes, this one probably isn't the best choice either. The frame and wheelset aren't the lightest, but they are strong.