BD - Build Kits, Why Not?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

BD - Build Kits, Why Not?

To start off as a disclaimer, I like the Motobecane bikes/frames, I think they are a great value and obviously are a great standalone product. Having said that I think that Mike at BD could make a killing if he offered build kits based on some of the higher end Moto bikes.

It is obvious that there are many people buying bikes just for the build kit and then trying to sell the frame on ebay or craigslist. I think that Mike could sell the build kits standalone and actually make more margin on the transaction. It also may help Mike be able to reduce his costs by driving larger volume discounts from the component suppliers. This would also reduce the amount of frames on the resell market which would help Moto's public perception.

Motobecane Nation what are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d
    I guess I'm missing something...........I only see 2 build kits for road bikes.

mtbr member
    Frames? They offer fork+frame+headset combos, even with the Ti frames... if you are fast enough to get one in stock that is.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk

Motobecane Nation what are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are that the business model isn't about selling groups of parts. And that they probably don't care if people buy the whole bike just to get the parts - they still sold the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would suspect that Shimano would not sell the build kits at the same price if they were being sold just as the kit. For instance, Shimano technically does not allow dealers to dismantle bikes to sell the components, i.e. they do not allow O.E. component sales. I know many dealers, like Jenson do these type of things though. Anyways, I think the bikes are such a great deal that buying one and then selling off the frame (as many people do) is an easy way to build a nice bike.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just a couple of guesses:

(1) BD rarely uses a full group on any 1 bike. It's more like a mix and match to get the best bang for the buck and to meet a price point.

(2) Manufacturer mandated minimum prices

You would probably be better off getting GVH Bikes to expand from road only to road + mtb.

Rides like a kid

Motobecane USA

They know their business model best. Maybe they are trying to build the whole brand up? I think their product is great (I have 2 bikes from BD).

My LBS was trying to sell used bikes for just 10% off of the price of a brand new same model. The LBS guys are great folks and I'll get stuff from them when I can, but for the $$ I can get more bike from BD. I think Motobecane USA is building a solid rep out there and just selling component groups takes away from that.

DynoDon
    Buy a Motobecane for the build kit you want, but take it for a ride before you dismantle it, you may be surprised.
    Look above at the thread, Post pics of your moto, you will see some of those e-bay frames in their second life, with proud owners.
    If there is anything bad about Motobecane it's the Bicycle Baptist (making mountains out of mole hills). For many different reasons people talk about things they don't understand, things outside the box, the box of their experience, and understanding.
    I don't see any mfgrs selling build kits for mountain bikes, it just don't make good business sense.

Members who have read this thread: 0