Bad experience with Bike direct- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Bad experience with Bike direct

See some good review here I make a purchase from bike direct. Well when the bike came everything was fine except for the damage chainring.
    Bad experience with Bike direct-img_3398.jpgBad experience with Bike direct-img_3390.jpg

Wrote to them and this is the reply i get: "thanks for the helpful pictures.Luckily it looks like the issue can easily be fixed by simply filing the burrs off those couple of teeth and then it should work perfect.

If it is slightly warped then the chain ring may just need to be trued, which is common on a new bike right out of the shipping box. Truing warped chain rings is a quick and easy fix to make. Here are instructions for doing so.

There are NO chain rings that are dead flat and they can all be trued up - even most new ones. As they are a thin stamped steel product they all tend to be somewhat warped - some more or less than others. But warpage is curable so don't freak out. Grab a small clean adjustable wrench, make sure you have lots of light so you can see well. then spin the cranks watching the clearance from the front derailleur and flex the chain ring where nedded to be straight and not rub. Keep doing this until it runs fairly straight and you can see and hear that it is not hitting the front derailleur.
    This is normally a quick job but I'll admit some have taken me a 1/2 hr or so to true.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance and once you have it fixed I can offer you a $20 refund for the hassle.

Please let me know.

Larry at bikes direct "

Frankly this type of reply is
    unbelievable. I have seen positive reviews here on the forum about how Bikedirect resolve issue with brand new bike and now they are asking you to go fix it yourself and they will pay u $20 for it.

Horrible horrible company, warning for all who think of getting from bike direct, if you get any problems on your brand new bike, you have to fix it yourself with their instructions.

mtbr member
    I consider their suggestions and offer quite reasonable. Just take their $20 and buy yourself a new aluminum chainring if that one is indeed steel. Or use the $20 to upgrade tires, saddle, or find some used carbon bars to slap on it.

Make lemonade, man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sorry, have to side with bd on this. $20 for a chainring sounds about right, normal labor is on the buyer, because it's an online bike. If you don't think $20 is enough to buy a chainring, ask bd to send out a new chainring instead. I'd just file it and ride like Larry said.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

transmitter~receiver

Bad experience with Bike direct

That's totally reasonable and exactly what a bike shop would do if it was shipped to them that way. The issue is extremely minor.
    You want "direct," so you get it.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 04-07-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Enthusiast
    I'm conflicted on this one, because I can sort of see both sides.

So...because curiosity, I went looking for a $20 ring. I'm assuming the common 104 bolt-circle-diameter (BDC), which the OP should of course verify.

Here is a $20 option that is 104 BCD and 44 teeth:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=648

Shipping will nudge the amount closer to $30.

And here's a slightly more expensive option:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...8&category=648

It's hard to know from the photos just what I would do myself. I'm not above taking a file to the ring. The other day a friend and I straightened a single bent tooth in his small ring using a pliers. If i had the physical ring in front of me would be easer to formulate an opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hey asking me to file it down is totally not an acceptable option. Do you think i know how to file a chainring? What if i file it wrong and the chainring fail to catch the chain in gear shift? Have you ever heard about bike shop asking you to file your damaged chainring?

$20 refund for buying a new chainring or for my time to file the chainring? He was asking me to fix it and pay me $20 to fix it myself. This is totally nonsense. They shld just send out a replacement and resolve it simply.

Watts come file the chainring i pass the $20 to you. If u file wrong you give me a new chainring 44 gears.

mtbr member
    It has honestly taken more time for you to type out this b!tchfest than it would have to just fix the part yourself.

mtbr member
    Why complain about something so small. You ordered a bike online and its damaged a little big deal fix it and move on. I think bikes direct handled it great they could have just never responded then you could have complained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    Hey asking me to file it down is totally not an acceptable option. Do you think i know how to file a chainring? What if i file it wrong and the chainring fail to catch the chain in gear shift? Have you ever heard about bike shop asking you to file your damaged chainring?

$20 refund for buying a new chainring or for my time to file the chainring? He was asking me to fix it and pay me $20 to fix it myself. This is totally nonsense. They shld just send out a replacement and resolve it simply.

Watts come file the chainring i pass the $20 to you. If u file wrong you give me a new chainring 44 gears.
    Problem is you did not buy your bike from a bike shop you bought it online from a online company, so you cannot or should not expect local bike shop service. There is a reason why their prices are lower than a local bike shop, you don't have local bike shop service. I don't bash BD as I have purchased 3 bikes from without issue. But buying online, direct like that does make you assume some problems may have to be resolved by you.

Damage during shipping is common, things happen. If the answer you received was not satisfactory you should go back to them with the request for a new ring. Honestly filing the ring does not take magic. Just file it a little so that there are no burrs. It is not like a couple of passes with a file are going to file the tooth down to nothing.

Either way this is a minor issue that can be resolved with a couple of passes with a file or a new inexpensive ring. For me the savings on a bike (especially for my kids) are worth a little potential hassle. If you want issues to be resolved like they would be at a local bike shop, you have to buy from a local bike shop.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Oh i did ask them to send a new ring, but no response from them after. Well i will not recommend this company to anyone. Well for those who like to repair your new bike, go ahead and buy all you want from them. This post is not meant for you, it is meant for people are thinking of getting something from this company.

mtbr member
    Oh i did ask them to send a new ring, but no response from them after. Well i will not recommend this company to anyone. Well for those who like to repair your new bike, go ahead and buy all you want from them. This post is not meant for you, it is meant for people are thinking of getting something from this company.
    I purchased my first MTB from them and would do it again. I did have some paint chips but I got some black paint and handled it. The savings you get from bikesdirect is well worth fixing a small problem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks pretty easy, it's only two teeth. It probably isn't bent if it's steel. I wouldn't have even sent an email.

RAKC
    OMG DUDE get over it. They paid your the price for a replacement. YOU CHOSE TO ORDER ONLINE TO SAVE MONEY , it's not their fault the shipping company was a bit rough with the box.

Simple rule: IF YOU CANT FIX YOUR OWN BIKES, DONT BUY A BIKE ONLINE.

Making an account just to complain over a scraped chain ring is just childish.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I cant think of a nice way to say it so here goes. Mountain biking used to be the realm of self reliant, can do kinds of people. One minute with with a file and you could have taken care of that yourself but you obviously do not fall into that group of people I earlier described. Please return your bike and send them your Man Card as well. Enjoy crochet. TIA.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The shipping company did you a favor by starting to file down some of the teeth on the 44t ring for you. File the rest off yourself and ride.

But seriously, it doesn't even look like the teeth are bent, quit whining. BD seems to have handled this very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I am glad there you all like to repair new bikes, go ahead and do all your repairs I hope all your future purchase online come with pre-filed chainrings and frames, that way you will all be exceptional happy to paint it yourself and save the trouble filing May all your internet purchase come damaged by the shipping company too

I am not new to internet bike order. I got a GT mountain bike mail ordered in London 20yrs ago and it came in perfect condition, no need to paint or file anything. It is all a matter of packing the bike properly know that the shipping company can be rough. How can a internet bike company not learn to pack a bike properly after all these years of internet sales?

mtbr member
    Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Waaaaa.......

mtbr member
    MTBR needs a 'like' button for Centurion_'s post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thank you all for keep bumping the thread up, have a good week ahead. Keep replying I am cool about all you guys sharing your new bike repair experience with bike direct or any other mail order companies

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am glad there you all like to repair new bikes, go ahead and do all your repairs I hope all your future purchase online come with pre-filed chainrings and frames, that way you will all be exceptional happy to paint it yourself and save the trouble filing May all your internet purchase come damaged by the shipping company too

I am not new to internet bike order. I got a GT mountain bike mail ordered in London 20yrs ago and it came in perfect condition, no need to paint or file anything. It is all a matter of packing the bike properly know that the shipping company can be rough. How can a internet bike company not learn to pack a bike properly after all these years of internet sales?
    I have ordered 3 bikes from Bikes Direct and none came damaged. It is a stretch to say that Bikes Direct does not pack well enough to prevent damage. It is also a stretch saying that because you ordered 1 bike online 20 years ago that did not get damaged that no bikes from that manufacturer ever get damaged in transit.

There are tons of people that order bikes and they didn't get damaged. And there are some that have been damaged in transit. That is just life. I am sure bikes have arrived at bike shops damaged as well. That is just what happens when items are shipped and get handled roughly, fall off a dock, get crushed under something heavier, etc.

Sorry that not everyone one this site is jumping on your bandwagon because YOU had a bad experience. Again if you cannot accept the assumed risk of buying a bike online then buy from a local shop. Easy as that.

I also ordered a bike from Bike Nashbar and it was packed better than the 3 Bikes Direct bikes. However it had a damaged front brake housing, not sure if it happened during transit or when it was built. You know what I did? I changed it in a couple of minutes and went on my way. It was a $2 fix. Assumed risk for buying a bike online and being the first one to put a wrench to it. It was worth it because I saved 21% on it.

Frame dented or something like that, yep, get that resolved from wherever you got it from and accept nothing less. That is major damage.

I
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    My purpose it to share my experience, I am not asking for support in any form. To me it is very simple, item arrived damaged, return and get a replacement. I just don't get it when the company ask you to go fix it yourself assuming that you know how to file a chainring. It is not just filing but also truing the chainring yourself with a wrench.

Sorry I don't get it when when everyone seems to accept the idea of filing and truing chainrings on a new bike as a norm these days. What else would you guys entertain regarding repairing your new bike besides painting, filing and truing chainrings? I am curious what the new generation of riders can tolerate on their new purchases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Any more dealer around?

mtbr member
    Look. No offense, k-

But there is no *real* damage there. Go ride it. See if it has any problems. I would bet not. Just today I ground an outer ring onto a rock and did this-

Have you ridden it? Unless if it causes a problem (99% chance it won't), leave it alone. Unless if there is a bad burr there, the chain will wear away any minor imperfections (provided that it is not bent).

Besides today's grind, I've shaved off the tips of teeth on the big ring against a rock other times. It's never even caused me to break out my file or my dremel. Performance is unaffected.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for sharing your used bike photo, I guess it is good to know it works fine. But you are missing my point, never mind.

mtbr member
    You are expecting perfection. I get it. And why not? You dished out some of your hard-earned money, right? Presumably.

Here's the thing- if you ride the bike for 25 miles or more in that big ring, the paint will come off the other teeth and they will become indistinguishable from your now imperfect teeth.

It's a bike, not a museum piece, no?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well when it is used I expect it to be warn out anyway but not when it just arrived. Somehow I didn't expect it to be the norm to repair the new mail order bike these days. Just keep quite and go ride is the answer.

You think I operate a bike museum?

mtbr member

You think I operate a bike museum?
    I think I'm beginning to wonder...

If you keep complaining about nothing things, you might wind up shadowless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree it sucks and I would be bummed too, I think you took everyone's comments pretty well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Almost 99% are going to keep quite so be it. If you see me as complaining then you totally missed my point. I could care less about get $20 refund, or a new chainring. It could be a $200 or $2000 dollar bike, it is the same guys. Go ahead if you want to accept the concept of fix your new purchase yourself. That is your choice but that is not my choice.

This is a world or free will, I respect all your choices and I think the universe will respond to your choices accordingly.

Already told you the post is not for those who like to repair your new bike, this is just to share my experience with those who are consider getting a bike from internet bike company.

Btw after I left a 1star review on sitejabber survey, they are responding to me so I might get it resolved.

Frankly I find you guys all amazing, I would be glad to sell new or used bikes to you all if I am a dealer When I open my shop I will let you all know.

mtbr member
    If you see me as complaining then you totally missed my point. I could care less about get $20 refund, or a new chainring. It could be a $200 or $2000 dollar bike, it is the same guys. Go ahead if you want to accept the concept of fix your new purchase yourself. That is your choice but that is not my choice.
    So you're not complaining about the money they offered to refund, or the possibility to get a replacement chainring (did you ask BD about a replacment?), and the only thing you're complaining about is how the bike was packed and how the chainring was damaged in shipping?

If it is all about the shipping, remember, BD doesn't package up the bikes in their Texas location. It's boxed up at a factory on the other side of the world, just like every other bike. Did you ask BD about taking it into a bike shop to get a replacement ring put on? If it was a new bike purchased at an LBS, the same thing could have happened, and the bike shop would have swapped out the ring and you'd never know. The only difference here is, you know it was damaged in shipping, and instead of replacing it, you went online and notified everybody here that something was damaged in shipping.

I'm still confused by why you would order a bike online that requires you to have knowledge about assembling and working on bikes, and you are completely upset about having to replace a bike part. Just spend the extra money and buy one from your LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No one is saying that it is normal to have to fix a new bike that has been shipped to you. No one said that. What is being said is that sometimes bikes are damaged when shipped, that is just a possibility when things are shipped. And if that happens to occur then seeing you are buying direct you may have to deal with it, where as a bike store that received a damaged bike would deal with it before it gets to you. If it is something that has to be replaced then BD generally replaces it, I have seen it before. Or they provide monetary compensation, or they provide a solution to fix it yourself.

In total over the past 5 of years I have purchased 5 complete bikes (from 3 different places) and had them shipped to me along with 6 other frames. So 11 bikes or frames shipped and 1 came with damage, again the damaged one was NOT from Bikes Direct. I repaired that damage for a couple of bucks. I think that is a pretty good track record. I am not telling people to stay away from Bike Nashbar because I had some damage to the bike that was shipped to me, and honestly I don't think that it would be fair to do that.

I generally like to take a once over of the box for damage before I accept delivery of a bike anyway to make sure there are no signs of potential damage.

I do agree that it sucks, I am sure you are bummed that your new bike came damaged. But you should really get out and ride it, enjoy it and you will forget all about it.

Which model bike was it anyway?
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Why are you so confused Watt? They had not offer to send replacement part to begin with when I ask them for replacement they just don't reply. They only responded after a 1star review on site jabber.

I am not happy with their original respond asking me to file and true the chainring myself. If you have problem understand, go read the tread to refresh your mind

Bike angel go ride, aren't you busy riding instead of responding to this thread? Go ride, don't waste your time on the forum

Anyway I don't intent to waste more time here. Take care guys and all the best to you all.

RAKC
    You already said they gave you a cash refund for the cost of a chainring, wtf is so difficult. THEY GAVE YOU MONEY TO BUY A REPLACEMENT AND YOUR ACTING LIKE A CHILD BECAUSE THEY ARENT SENDING YOU A NEW ONE.

They aren't the factory, they are the US dealer for those bikes. So they don't have the spare parts. INSTEAD THEY GAVE YOU MONEY TO ORDER A NEW ONE.

So you got what YOU WANTED yet are still acting like a child about not getting your way. Especially when by now you could have replaced the part and been riding instead of sitting on here whining.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Sure say what you want tigris. I know how forum people functions so I keep away from it, I just forgot how nasty it can be when people start to do name calling then I know it is not worth it here. Have a good day.

RAKC
    There is plenty of valid reasons to start a thread like this. Damaged frame, wheels a huge list. But most places take care of their customers. A scraped chainring which resulted in you getting money for a new one (since they don't have one) is a pretty good deal considering you can pick your tooth count and the chain ring you have is perfectly fine to use.

Just doesn't make a bit of sense when BD did exactly what you wanted in the form of money instead of sending a part, do you could get what you want. Yet your still angry and making a huge deal out of it.

To me and most, that's childish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Sure, anyone who is not agreeing with you is childish. I get it.

transmitter~receiver
    Sure, anyone who is not agreeing with you is childish. I get it.
    dood... don't let the door bump your ass on the way out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yours is blocking the door way I can't get out.

banned
    A 32t race face bash guard is $19.99 on price point. And yes that reply from bike direct sucks.

mtbr member
    I ordered a bike and had it shipped once. It came with a huge scratch, just looked bad but did not affect performance. I called and they wanted me to ship the whole bike back and they would look at it. I just said F-it and kept it.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

transmitter~receiver
    Yours is blocking the door way I can't get out.
    Well, then hang around and keep whining.
    Protip: it gets worse from here.

poser Administrator
    Yikes, this is a mess.

OP complaining about a scratch on a chainring on new bike is like complaining that the tires on your new car are worn from the test drive miles other people put on it. I could see if there was a legitimate performance issue with this but as others have said your chainring teeth will all match once you ride a few miles.

Expecting perfection with a discount internet bike order company is like expecting perfect from Walmart. You don't go there if you want perfection.

Unlike Walmart however Bikes Direct gave you a few tips to fix it and an offer of even more money back. If they sent you a new chainring you would have to remove both your chainrings on that spider, probably remove the crank, possibly have to buy a tool and then reinstall the chainring. If you were uncomfortable with this then you would have to bring it in to a bike shop and they would charge you at least that $20 to make it right and possibly more because you brought in a Bikes Direct bike for service and some shops find BD bikes objectionable. Lastly they could have offered to have your return the bike which would have you disassembling it, re-boxing it and shipping them the bike back, then they would ship you a new one out and you could potentially have the same problem and be out a bike for the 2 weeks it takes for this process to happen.

With a little perspective you might see that you were not treated unfairly nor were you treated inequitably by this company. Perspective, it is what people are trying to give you.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Comparing a chainring to a tyre don't sound appropriate, if your car come with a damaged gears in the gear box will you go fix it ourself and get a rebate from the dealer?

So you have rightly point out the cost of fixing the issue and yet you agree that the solution is a fair one, that I have already figure that in the community it is the norm now.

As you can see I respect all the decent opinions and replies, and you have gladly pointed out the risk of buying from this company know how much trouble is involved if you ever get any issue you are basically on your own since returning is so troublesome and you just have to live with it. Assuming that you don't have the gears to remove crank and chainring is just as bad as assuming everyone know how to true a chainring or have the tool to file a gear.

If you find rudeness is an acceptable norm in this forum so be it.

poser Administrator
    Comparing a chainring to a tyre don't sound appropriate, if your car come with a damaged gears in the gear box will you go fix it ourself and get a rebate from the dealer?

So you have rightly point out the cost of fixing the issue and yet you agree that the solution is a fair one, that I have already figure that in the community it is the norm now.

As you can see I respect all the decent opinions and replies, and you have gladly pointed out the risk of buying from this company know how much trouble is involved if you ever get any issue you are basically on your own since returning is so troublesome and you just have to live with it. Assuming that you don't have the gears to remove crank and chainring is just as bad as assuming everyone know how to true a chainring or have the tool to file a gear.

If you find rudeness is an acceptable norm in this forum so be it.
    It is comparable, the chairing was cosmetically damaged, there was no actual performance hindering damage, unlike a transmission with a damaged gear. The company offered a reasonable solution in case there was a burr that might affect shifting plus cash.

Obviously all our responses weren't what you were looking for. What exactly would be the response that bikes direct could have made that would have prevented you from complaining online about this? What did you expect? Did you ride the bike yet and did the damage prevent it from performing in the manner you expected?

Most people on here are just trying to tell you that this is a minor issue, something that shouldn't make you unhappy and not enjoy your bike because the majority of us in here participate here because we want to help others enjoy their bikes. We offer advice, support and answers. You got all of those things here and yet you complain that it is rudeness.

One can only lead a horse to water, one cannot make him drink.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I disagree with you that filing chainring is easier or better solution then replace chainring.

"WHERE & HOW TO FILE WORN CHAIN-RING TEETH

If you are suffering from chain-suck on your bicycle, it may suite you to restore the profile of worn teeth as best you can, rather than replacing the chain-ring. This can be a practical way to extend the life of the chain-ring.

This filing method might be adopted for a number of reasons such as cost, time constraints, intention to continue using a partially worn chain, lack of suitable chain-rings at the bike shop, being in a remote area, etc. A further advantage of the method is that neither chain, chain-rings, nor crank need be removed from the bike; the work can even be done on-the-trail, if necessary.

A reminder : This filing process is not about removing burrs from the sides of thickened teeth, although there is no harm in doing this at the same time ; such side-burrs are not normally a major contributor to chain-suck. The process is about reshaping the curved pressure-faces of the teeth.

For 1-ring suck the teeth of the single problem ring will need filing. For 2-ring suck, worn teeth may or may not be the problem ; if wear is the problem here, then the teeth on the ring from which the chain is being dispatched are the primary concern (usually the middle-ring), but it is also advisable to check the teeth on the receiving ring (usually the "granny").

While this method can re-shape the teeth so that they no longer interfere with disengagement of the chain, it restores neither a truly correct shape to them, nor a correct contact pitch. The previous mismatch in tooth/chain pitch will continue to result in fewer teeth carrying the load. Thus, teeth will continue to be overstressed and their pressure-faces will continue to wear at a greater rate (mainly by metal failure). The overloading can also affect the wear rate of chain-rollers and their bearing surfaces.

If you intend replacing the chain, don't use this method; rather replace or flip the chain-ring, so that the whole drive-train does not wear unduly fast.

Anyone who understands the issues and is reasonably handy, will be able to file the pressure-faces of the teeth to a profile which avoids chain-suck.

The key to understanding where and how to file is that, after re-shaping is complete, the indentations in the pressure-faces must not remain, and these faces must not be too steep. For these reasons, it is mostly the "upper" portions of the teeth which must be filed, ie farthest away from the root of each tooth.

Thus, remove material from the pressure-face of each tooth above the point where the middle of the chain-roller contacts it, and increasingly more material towards the tip of the tooth to eliminate any "overhang" or "hook".

With the crank horizontal, the bike upright, and viewed from the side of the bike where the chain-rings are mounted, the teeth that need the most filing are those located from 4-to-7 o'clock and from 10-to-1 o'clock. These teeth are usually the most worn (or indented) because they were stressed (when at the top of the chain-ring) by the highest pedalling loads in the crank cycle, and correspondingly also need to release the chain (when at the bottom of the chain-ring) under the same high crank-cycle loads. Nonetheless, it is still important to examine all the teeth to identify others with significant wear. For 2-ring suck, a wider range of teeth can cause the problem, especially on older design chain-rings. It is best to mark all the teeth identified as worn, with a marker pen or other means.

If the crank and chain-rings remain on the bike, the filing process is awkward. It is easier to do from the side of the bike opposite the chain-rings, and with the bike upside down. Teeth on all chain-rings can then be accessed with less interference from the crank-spider and other chain-rings.

When filing is done on-the-bike, and where the file cannot fit through the gaps between rings and spider, you will need to use very short filing strokes with the tip of the file, which can be time consuming. To make it a bit easier to file through the gaps, use a square or very narrow file. If a broader file is used, it may be desirable to improve access to the "granny-ring" on triple-ring bikes by undoing the middle ring (if removable), then manouvre it past the "granny" and allow it to rest on the BB out of the way. If the middle ring needs filing, removal of the large ring would help, but this is sometimes riveted in place. On double-ring road bikes, it is usually easy to remove the large chain-ring and gain free access to the small ring.

It is best to use a small, fine, narrow, flat file with its thin edges smooth. File with the smooth edge nearest the tooth root (to prevent yourself filing in this area). Use your your thumb or other means to guide the filing. Make sure that you file "square" to the tooth cross-section, so that subsequent pressure by the chain rollers is not angled across the teeth.

To even out tooth wear, further advantage can be gained by rotating the chain-ring by one bolt (i.e. 1/4 or 1/5 turn) on the spider. If the chain-ring has special short teeth or other attachments to ease gear changes, then rotating the ring may result in less crisp gear changes ; it can also worsen (or alleviate) 2-ring suck. If either of these problems occur, it is easy to rotate the ring back to its original position. "

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    @Shadowless, the instructions you have posted here related to worn chains, particularly the rearward faces of the chainring teeth that get worn down with time. The chainring, chain and cassette are considered consumables in cycling, like tyres, and need to be periodically replaced. 'Chain suck' is an undesirable characteristic caused when the rearward/pressure faces of a chain ring get excessively worn and tend to hang onto the chain, 'sucking' the chain onto the chain ring.

This is a very different issue to the issue that your chainring appears to be suffering. It looks like, due to handling in transit, that the chainring has punctured the box and scraped the floor. In this case you'd see damage to the chainring paint and maybe some burrs. In very bad cases the chainring may be bent.

I would use my fingers to carefully feel the damage and work out just how rough the tooth felt. If it just a bit rough and be inclined to ignore it, or file it very gently. It would require very minimal treatment. If the chainring is buckled I'd use an adjustable spanner to try to fix it. Failing that I'd order a new chain ring. If you don't have the tools required to fit a new chainring, and the damage was too excessive to fix yourself by filing / straightening, I'd speak to BD explaining your situation and say that although $20 is adequate to purchase a new chain ring, you'd appreciate some additional money to cover the cost of labour at your LBS.

Like many of the other voices here. I don't see this as a big issue and would resolve it myself. However, perhaps this is the first bike you have owned, or maybe you don't have any tools and don't want to risk damaging anything by trying to fix it yourself. If that's the case, get a quote from your LBS and begin negotiation with BD.

I would say, as a first move, there is nothing wrong with their response. But if you are not in a position to get the toolbox out, engage your LBS and BD and make your case constructively.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Obviously all our responses weren't what you were looking for. What exactly would be the response that bikes direct could have made ...?
    Really interested what you expected BD to do?

Possible options that I can think of are:
    1. BD supplies new chainring, and you an LBS install it. Pros: you don't have to do anything. Cons: you have to wait for the chainring to come in, take the bike to the LBS, wait for the LBS to fix it, pay the LBS and BD refunds you (or BD pays the LBS directly). In this scenario, a lot of time is wasted instead of spending 3 minutes to swap out a chainring.
    2. BD refunds you $20 to purchase a new chainring and have LBS install it as above. Pros: you get to choose the number of teeth on your new chainring, maybe do a material upgrade to alloy. Cons: might not find the chainring you want for $20 (although I've found many 42t chainrings for less). Once again, waiting for a ring to come in and waiting for the LBS to install it.
    3. BD sends you a new chainring, and you install it. Pros: you get a new chainring, Cons: once again, waiting for shipping, but when you get it, only takes a couple minutes to install.
    4. BD recommends you try to file down the chainring and make it work, and give you $20 just in case you need to buy a chainring. Pros: you can purchase your choice of a new chainring if you need it. If you don't need a new chainring, you just got $20 for 5 minutes of work. Cons; filing the chainring doesn't work and you have to buy a new chainring.
    5. Ship the bike back to BD and get a new bike. Pros: you get a new bike with a new chainring: Cons; you're out shipping cost, which far exceeds the cost of a new chainring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Well, I hope the OP is done beating this dead horse, but in case you're not, let me make this perfectly clear for you: After reading all of your posts, I sincerely hope you find a different hobby. Mountain biking is not for you. You are obviously unable or unwilling to do basic maintenance and repair work, which is an absolute necessity. Also, looking at your photo. . .that is apparently an entry-level bike with a low-end chainring anyway, so they're offering you about twice what the damaged ring is worth. It takes about 6 minutes to swap out a chainring. You have spent at least 15x that much time *****ing about it. So, you are NOT out anything financially in this deal, and the only reason you are out any TIME is because you've spent hours/days on here whining about it.

BD is an excellent company to do business with, but buying a bike direct is not for everybody. Only those who can tune and maintain their own bikes. And you? You're not that guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Watts thanks for listing all the options, perhaps it might be wise if you share that with
    BD. Thanks for the time to consider all the options.

I have not found any $20 42t chainring that will fit. They are all more than $20. I did see one $19.99 with 5 bolt mounting that won't work. In the end I have to waste time searching for a chainring that will fit, or I could be buying a wrong mounting size and waste more time. Either way I have to wait for shipping so no diff between 2 and 3.

Besides, since I didn't mention that the bike was meant to be a gift so I don't think 5 is an option anyway. Giving someone a bike with a filed chainring, I don't think I want to do that.

Anyway I received my chainring today after the staff who is monitoring the review site responded to the site jabber review. It is a mess with BD customer service which I won't waste more time to share since nobody here cares anyway.

To those negative basher, thank you for sharing your negative response and wasting your time to send out negative thoughts. I don't really care about your posts since you don't really care about my situation anyway. If you are so free to bash you might as well save your time to bash through the trails. You are only adding to bad name of this forum

I find that the people on this site are rather negative and rude in many ways. I looked at some other thread about why people is no longer posting here, you don't have to wonder why this is happening. Even the admin don't see the rudeness in the forum so that is probably why this forum is like this now. This forum is not a place for me, I don't want to waste time with negative people spewing their emotions here when they have nothing useful to contribute at all. Take care guys.

mtbr member
    Watts thanks for listing all the options, perhaps it might be wise if you share that with BD. Thanks for the time to consider all the options.

I have not found any $20 42t chainring that will fit. They are all more than $20.

Besides, since I didn't mention that the bike was meant to be a gift so I don't think 5 is an option anyway. Giving someone a bike with a filed chainring, I don't think I want to do that.
    Communication is key. Unfortunately, the people at BD aren't always at their computers. For the most part, they do respond, in time. From their perspective, filing it and refunding $20 is the easiest option. Didn't work from your position though, and if you don't ask, they won't offer.

$20 chainrings are out there, but not always available. I've bought really nice chainrings for $7 off amazon that are normally in the $50 range. Time isn't on your side though since it is a gift, but if you have time, they're there. FYI, 104 BCD 4-bolt is what you need. You can also get a bashguard, or 44T chainring to easily work with a bike that had stock 42T chainrings.
    http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-FC-M66...eywords=42+104

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm glad that bike was a gift, I would hate to see what would happen if somebody like you tried to ride. . .

"Took my new bike out for a ride today, and can you believe that the tires did not hold their air pressure from the factory in China? I have contacted the manufacturer and asked them to send me fresh air immediately. You guys don't seem to care about me and my air, though. . ."

"Guys, I went for a ride, and guess what? There was DIRT! It got on my new bike, and now the factory won't return my calls demanding a new paint job! Probably because everybody hates me and you are all so negative."

"Why did Bikes Direct not tell me that I needed to clean and lubricate my chain? Now it is all filthy! Who is going to provide me with shop towels and chain lube? I am contacting an attorney!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Welcome to the internet. Like real life the internet has very nice helpful people who will hold your hand, other people who are helpful but want you to help yourself as well. And there are rude people. This site works just like real life.

However what you fail to realize is that based on the info you provided everyone had about the same response, that it is not that big of a deal. Not sure why you are so upset because not everyone had pitch forks in their hands ready to storm the castle with you. People did care about your situation and tried to help you resolve the issue and ride.

If this was a gift, that info might have been helpful in post #1 so we could understand why you were being so particular. I would not want to give some a damaged gift either. That info would have gone a long way to help people understand.

You also have to perhaps look past your own thoughts and opinions and say okay if everyone else is not thinking this is a big deal maybe I should be a little less critical, but your mentality is that you are right and we are all being mean and rude because we disagree with you.

And throughout the posts you seem to have a fixation that this is somehow Bikes Direct fault that the bike was damaged and that they should have prevented it, which is very unreasonable.

Do you have a bike and ride or did you just create an account to save us all from Bikes Direct? If it is the former then this site has a wealth of knowledge and you will find that if you ask a question you will get good answers. But generally coming on just to rant about your 1 bad experience can come off wrong.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishAirline View Post
    I'm glad that bike was a gift, I would hate to see what would happen if somebody like you tried to ride. . .

"Took my new bike out for a ride today, and can you believe that the tires did not hold their air pressure from the factory in China? I have contacted the manufacturer and asked them to send me fresh air immediately. You guys don't seem to care about me and my air, though. . ."

"Guys, I went for a ride, and guess what? There was DIRT! It got on my new bike, and now the factory won't return my calls demanding a new paint job! Probably because everybody hates me and you are all so negative."

"Why did Bikes Direct not tell me that I needed to clean and lubricate my chain? Now it is all filthy! Who is going to provide me with shop towels and chain lube? I am contacting an attorney!"
    You forgot:
    "I went to a cry fest for whiners about how negative MTBR is and they all said mean people suck."

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I also have bought bikes from BD, can not help but think a Bike Shop would have been a better fit in this case.

poser Administrator
    I have to say if you had mentioned this was a gift in your first post, I think this would have gone much differently.

Full disclosure on the internet really helps the old communication trickle along.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

RAKC
    I have to admit that IF YOU HAD POSTED IN THE FIRST POST THAT THE BIKE WAS A GIFT, we all would have responded much differently and provided better help.

All we see is your only reason for coming here is buying a bike that was damaged in shipping and you wanted to bad mouth BD.

Instead of that you could have said:

" I ordered a bike from Bikes Direct as a gift, I need some help as all they did was tell me to file it and sent me $20 as a refund towards a new ring, and I don't know what to do. Can anyone give me advise? "

And instead of "mean responses" we all could have helped explain how to communicate the problem to BD or helped you find a new chain ring with the money you had to work with.

Communication and ALL THE DETAILS works a lot better than just a bunch of negative attitude towards everything.

And glad to hear the problem was solved and bike will be in perfect shape for the lucky new owner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Shadowless you little wuss!! Haha, just kidding bro. I believe it was just the title "Bad experience with Bikes Direct" that got guys worked up. One thing is for sure, Bikes direct has a lot of people that DO like their products and DO think their customer service is good. I think most people see your title and are like "what oh no, lets see what bad thing they did" Then when they see it is just a tiny bit of damage, caused by the shipper, over which BD has no control, they come running. They ARE a vocal (and aggressive bunch) but at least its funny to read since I don't feel like actually working. I actually laughed out loud over some of the mean/funny comments people leveled at you. I think a lot of people also love the idea of an online retailer that can save you $100s over the other bikes with similar performance and don't want to see it bashed unnecessarily. Just laugh it off bro! its the internet! then tell BD you want $40 for a new chain-ring, I bet they'll do it!

mtbr member
    Bad experience with Bike direct-alg-crying-baby.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Think of the extra carbon foot print you are advocating by swap shipping for another bike

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can't believe this has gone on this long and that I am going to contribute but this is ridiculous.

Someone who cares so much about a scratched tooth on a chainring shouldn't go mail order.

Go for a ride and your chain will be the file.

Wait until you go over a large rock or log and and then you will know what a scratched chain ring looks like.

If this was a Seven Axiom, I might be a little upset but probably not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aroundoz View Post
    I can't believe this has gone on this long and that I am going to contribute but this is ridiculous.

Someone who cares so much about a scratched tooth on a chainring shouldn't go mail order.

Go for a ride and your chain will be the file.

Wait until you go over a large rock or log and and then you will know what a scratched chain ring looks like.

If this was a Seven Axiom, I might be a little upset but probably not.
    The bike was a gift. He later stated that fact.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road