Bad Cassettes & Great Cassettes ??????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bad Cassettes & Great Cassettes ??????

I recently pre-ordered a Ti 29er which is coming with an Ultegra 9 speed 11-27 cassette. Any views as to what you all have personally loved and hated with your own cassettes? I know 11-32 or 34 would help with steeper transitions and also that the ultegra is a road cassette and not a MTB but it is what it is. Should I change is what should I replace it with? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm happy with the Ultegra on my Fly on all but the steepest long climbs, but it really depends on where you are riding. Maybe not so good for endurance events, but I ride an FS in those.

Without the very low range gearing, you may improve your skills by better maintaining your momemtum in transitional areas where you could get by with the 11-27. I use a 11-34 for some rugged technical trails in the mountains, but it does add a bit of weight. I like the SRAM cassettes.

But you're talking 29er and that changes the force dynamic a bit, so my answer only partially applies.

mtbr member
    if you leave the front a triple, that ultegra will probably work out fine for you. I've been running that cassette at endurance events for the past year and think its great.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info

I have to say im a little surprised by the responses, I thought it wouldnt work well. Thanks for the info. I am new to MTB so any info is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I recently pre-ordered a Ti 29er too. I had the same cassette question! Thanks for asking - I appreciate the responses too. I've been riding a Pro-flex 555 since 1996 and it is on its last leg. My search was between the Ibex Asta XT and the Motobecane Ti29er.... Here's hoping the Ti 29er is everything it appears to be.

HTFU!
    I have a 12-27 cassette on my Fantom Team (don't know why some are 11-27 and some are 12-27, but whatever). I did think about replacing it with a 32 or 34 shortly after my purchase but am glad I did not. Now I am a much stronger rider. In fact, I doubt I could even use a 32 or 34; I don't think I could spin my cranks that fast while going that slow and still keep my balance...I'd probably just fall right over.
    Definitely ride it for a while before making a decision to switch it out. If you are riding more for fun that fitness, and you do not have fun struggling up that hill in your lightest gear then maybe a new cassette is in your future. However, you may find (as I did) that the more you ride, the better you get and you will never look back (and you will save a few $$$).
    What is the famous saying...
    "Speed:The thing about speed is that you can't catch the people who've attained it to ask them how they got so fast. You chase them day after day, until you find yourself getting closer. Then you catch them, and realize that your question has just been answered."

This holds true for strength and stamina possibly needed with your 27t.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My bad, 12-27 OEM on my Fly. Did my first all-day, all-mountain ride this weekend with the 12-27. Had to walk a couple of times for lack of low gearing and stamina, but these grades were pretty extreme and the only time I consder switching out the cassette are on these all day difficult rides.

mtbr member
    I do run 12-27 Ultegra and 12-27 Dura-ace on two wheelsets, and it shifts great with a non-shadow XTR, and there is nothing particularly "road" about it. In fact I have swapped granny ring to 23t q-ring from 22, and I climb anything I possibly can with it. 32 or 34 would not make me a better climber. Even with bigger then stock tires on my Fly Ti traction is the limiting factor on climbs, not gearing. On my 30++lb Kona Coiler I swapped granny to 24t - with 11-34 cassette (I prefer more of a range with a 2x9 setup), and even on that fat pig 24/34 is a bit slow for a person with a fitness level slightly above that of a beanbag.

With cassette, I stay away from SRAM - heavy, and do not shift as well. XTs are the best bang for the buck IMHO, Ultegra 12-27 is good, and I would guess that new SLX 11-28 should be just as good (and close in weight to Ultegra 12-27).

Members who have read this thread: 0