assembling question..$$- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

assembling question..$$

ok ... finally I will order a fantom pro 29 sl this monday...

and I checked how to assemble the bike and it is a little bit difficult...I have some knowledge about bikes maintenance..

my question is:

what is cheaper assemling it by myself or taking it to LBS?

assembling by myself , I would have to buy the brake bleed kit $36, and the pump $30....

thank you...

mtbr member
    The brakes should be assembled and pre-bled. You should only have to mount the brake levers to the bar. Most likely your entire assembly will only require a few Allen wrenches.

Check out the vids on this site for further assistance:

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_161_p2...ain-bikes.html

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_2049_m...ain-bikes.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I dont mind paying for tools if you know I'll use them again. They'll pay for themselves in a lifetime of tuning for yourself. This is a good opportunity to learn to build and tune. The bike shop will charge you to "assemble" the bike. If you do it, you can learn to assemble AND "tune" for yourself, which is something many bikes shops cant do for you unless you're right there while they do it, which they also might want to charge more for.

Building one's own bike is a therapy and the zen of biking. You build it exactly the way you want and you'll enjoy it more.
    We Ride In God's Country!

DynoDon
    you can get plenty of help from vids on youtube for adjustments etc, or park tool.com, the book, Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Mainenance, its worth the price for the Fit, Emergency Repairs, Trouble Shooting Chapters, plus plenty of other info that will give you the confidence to do repairs on your bikes, on, and off the trail.. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One word: grease.
    It's your friend.
    Grease the headset, stem and seatpost.
    If you have the tool...remove the bottom bracket and grease the threads and axle.
    You'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thank for the info..

I have already the tools, I am gonna buy the brake bleed kit but I have some questions about the fork...

what is the pressure do I have to use? (I am 5.11 - 164lbs)
    what shock pump do u recommend to buy?
    anything else do I have to do with the suspension before riding ?

DynoDon
    you don't need the brake bleed kit, the work is done for you, all you have to do is put the brake on the fork, put the rotor on the wheel, BD sells a shock pump for $30 its on the bottom of the bike page, no shipping charge, for air you can set your sag as a starting point, ride it, and adjust,, a easy starting point is divide your weight in two, then put half in the top, and half in the bottom, check your sag, then ride, add air if you want it stiffer etc.. Happy Trails.. you can find setting sag on youtube..
    there is a assembly on a 2011 fly just posted you can see how he put on the brakes, its easy, take your time. The hardest thing to do is wait for your bike,,, Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was killing my brain with the brake bleed process ...lol ... so when do I have to do the brake bleed process?

ok guys .. thank you for the inf... I will tell u how is the bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfms2004
    I was killing my brain with the brake bleed process ...lol ... so when do I have to do the brake bleed process?

ok guys .. thank you for the inf... I will tell u how is the bike...
    The brakes will probably be fine when you take it out of the box.
    You bleed it when it gets mushy from air in the lines....so having the bleed kit is a good idea.
    The big thing is going over the bike and greasing and making sure everything is tight.
    You could just slap it together and ride it.....but you'll be happier down the road when you do it right the first time ( and it's easier when the bike is new and clean)
    good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0