Anyone hesitant about buying from bikesdirect???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Anyone hesitant about buying from bikesdirect???

I spent a lot of time on here researching bikedirect.com before I bought my FLY Ti 29er XO from them. Needless to say I was very nervous about buying from an online company. After numerous emails back and forth from Chris at bikesdirect I finally pulled the trigger. First off I love the bike. Secondly, the customer service from Chirs has been top notch and timely. I have had two warranty issues that he has been handling for me (brakes and cassette) better than I could have ever expected, and much better than the last LBS I bought a bike from.

Just thought I would put in a good word for them from any other potential customers out there. I can't wait for the FS 29er, which I will buy with no hesitation this time. (if its a good deal of course!)

DynoDon
    I'll 2nd that !!!
    I've bought two bikes, a Fantom Comp, and a Fantom Team, no problems with either bike, these are great bikes, shipped on time, easy to assemble, both bikes get compliments, the bikes look great, ride great, all round possitive experience..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have nothing but good things to say about bikesdirect. i experienced good communication and fast shipment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Mt neighbors bought two 29er SSs no problems.

Friends bought two 26 HTs, no problems.

Friend bought 29er FS, no problems.

Friends bought two touring bikes, no problems

I bought 29er Ti 30 speed. Perfect.

Eight bikes total. Not a single subsequent contact with BD concerning a problem with any of these bikes.
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Moto Team Fly 29er Ti
    Trike-X
    Cannondale F500
    Rans Rocket (bent)
    Burley Spider (bent)

mtbr member
    I have bought two bikes from BD, and plan to buy at least one or two more.

mtbr member
    I have two bikes from them, one mountain ($599), one road ($899). Both are great bikes and I've had no problems with the road bike at all, it's a very high quality machine with Ultegra level components. I've had a couple issues with the mountain bikes (brake squeal, stripped seat post, toasted rear free hub), but all of those were handled through warranty with no cost to me. I like the convenience of getting replacement parts delivered to my door and the customer service has been perfectly adequate, but perhaps a little slow. 1-2 day response time is a bit too long IMHO, but they always take care of the problem so I cannot complain.

A friend of mine blew up the rear hub on his new Giant bought from an LBS and they didn't cover the parts in warranty. It was only 4 months old with maybe a dozen rides on it but it cost him $50. They said it was considered a wear and tear item, which I think is BS or just poor policy. Maybe it's just the shop, but I've heard similar stories from other people. Considering that most LBS's only offer 1 year tune-ups, I don't see the advantage in buying from them anymore. Since I have tools and can do most of my own work, it's more inconvenient to haul my bike to and from the LBS to get it serviced/fixed. I bought a brand new Trek hybrid ($1000) last year from a reputable LBS and was not impressed with the service. So much for keeping my money local...6 months later I bought my first bike from BD.

I'll be buying a full suspension bike from them soon, making that my third BD bike.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    I have two bikes from them, one mountain ($599), one road ($899). Both are great bikes and I've had no problems with the road bike at all, it's a very high quality machine with Ultegra level components. I've had a couple issues with the mountain bikes (brake squeal, stripped seat post, toasted rear free hub), but all of those were handled through warranty with no cost to me. I like the convenience of getting replacement parts delivered to my door and the customer service has been perfectly adequate, but perhaps a little slow. 1-2 day response time is a bit too long IMHO, but they always take care of the problem so I cannot complain.

A friend of mine blew up the rear hub on his new Giant bought from an LBS and they didn't cover the parts in warranty. It was only 4 months old with maybe a dozen rides on it but it cost him $50. They said it was considered a wear and tear item, which I think is BS or just poor policy. Maybe it's just the shop, but I've heard similar stories from other people. Considering that most LBS's only offer 1 year tune-ups, I don't see the advantage in buying from them anymore. Since I have tools and can do most of my own work, it's more inconvenient to haul my bike to and from the LBS to get it serviced/fixed. I bought a brand new Trek hybrid ($1000) last year from a reputable LBS and was not impressed with the service. So much for keeping my money local...6 months later I bought my first bike from BD.

I'll be buying a full suspension bike from them soon, making that my third BD bike.
    Hopefully I will get my order for the 29FS b4 you do....I got a feeling those things are gonna sell out fast!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    bought my cross bike off bikesdirect. Nothing but good things to say. Looking at mtn bikes from them now unless I find a steal of a deal on a used one

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    They are top notch! Any issues are handled. Support is an email away. Bikes are great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Tried to buy a 500ht from them and it was out of stock. They offered a deal and I purchased a 600ht instead which came out a little cheaper than the 500.

I'm in love with the bike. The only problem I had was that they sent me a 300mm
    seat post that I replaced with a micro adjautable 350mm. I should have complained.

Probably would buy from them again if the offer a full suspension 29r.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got a 29er Pro SL from them around this time last year. I love the bike, but have had a few problems.. The seatpost was too short to be of any use, the wheels (spokes) are not very good.I had to have the wheels professionally trued three times, and would have to adjust spokes myself on a regular basis. I took the wheels to two different shops to have them trued at different times, and both basically said the wheels need to be rebuilt - spokes replaced.. I had to set the front wheel 'just right' in the fork or a spoke would rub the brake caliper. A couple spokes finally broke, and I have since replaced the wheels with Easton xc-ones. (which are awesome, by the way)

I had to replace the der. hanger and rear derailler. (It was an XTR that I replaced with XT) Not from a crash, mind you, from a stick hitting the hanger and it snapping both the hanger and der. - going about 15 mph. Not the bike's fault, I guess.. just strange that the derailleur broke also. So really, the bike has cost me about 1500 bucks in the end.

Would I buy from bikes direct again? Probably not. Are they reputable? Id say so...
    ------------------
    My Blog - Big Muddy Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by i2ambler
    I got a 29er Pro SL from them around this time last year. I love the bike, but have had a few problems.. The seatpost was too short to be of any use, the wheels (spokes) are not very good.I had to have the wheels professionally trued three times, and would have to adjust spokes myself on a regular basis. I took the wheels to two different shops to have them trued at different times, and both basically said the wheels need to be rebuilt - spokes replaced.. I had to set the front wheel 'just right' in the fork or a spoke would rub the brake caliper. A couple spokes finally broke, and I have since replaced the wheels with Easton xc-ones. (which are awesome, by the way)

I had to replace the der. hanger and rear derailler. (It was an XTR that I replaced with XT) Not from a crash, mind you, from a stick hitting the hanger and it snapping both the hanger and der. - going about 15 mph. Not the bike's fault, I guess.. just strange that the derailleur broke also. So really, the bike has cost me about 1500 bucks in the end.

Would I buy from bikes direct again? Probably not. Are they reputable? Id say so...
    The wheels were one of the things that I was most hesitant about and was pretty much resigned to the fact I was going to have to replace them after i got the bike. They have surprised me though, they still true through all my 215 lbs have handed out.

Members who have read this thread: 0