Anyone with a HAL series 29'r? What are your thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    MTU
    Scary Audio Guy

Anyone with a HAL series 29'r? What are your thoughts?

I haven't seen any reviews of these. Anyone riding one?
    Thanks.

Mike U
    This Message Approved By MTU

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I just got Hal boost Ltd in the mail today can wait to get it put together and try it. It’s my first Moto, first FS and first “higher end” bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just bought this: SUB25.5* lb, 2019 Motobecane HAL29 NX EAGLE 1X12
    29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
    SRAM NX EAGLE 1X12 Speed
    Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes
    Rockshox SID 120mm Forks

It's a very great price/performer. I've only owned it for a week and I love it. I've got to change the tires from the MAXXIS MAXXLITE 29 X2.00 to a 2.3 tubeless Minion version3. Wish I could afford to buy and entire rim/wheelset to quickly change back and forth. I previously had the 26er Fantom DS pro and that served me very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey, what kind of terrain are you riding it on? Is it a good climber? I live in Virginia and the trails are very rocky but I don't want to lug around one of those 30+lb "all mountain" bikes. Also, what size did you get and your height? I'm looking at getting the medium and I'm 6'1". My hardtails are 17" bikes.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not OP but I bought the same bike. I am also 6'1" and I bought the large. I was in between sizes but figured I could just get a shorter stem if it was too long. On the ~35 miles I have put on the bike so far, its perfect. I was also considering an all mountain bike and am very happy with the amount of suspension this bike has, I ride a lot of sandy washes to rocky climbs/down hill and I like it. I never rode the bike with the tires it came with, they are worthless. I put 2.4s on and its definitely more than 25.5 lbs but it handles and hooks up great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm loving my Hal29 NX. I ride on sandy, rocky, rooty trails in Florida. I put the Rockshox Sid RL in the middle - firm position and it climbs great. I'm 5'10" and I bought a medium. I've upgraded it with the mallet platform clipless pedals, x-fusion 120mm dropper post, seat grips with more cushion - so it's heavier but I don't mind because it's more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I am new to mountain biking and am also looking at my first purchase. I currently road bike and am ex-motocross rider. Am considering the Moto Hal 29 Eagle Nx 12 ($1799) from Bikes Direct. I’m 57 yrs old and in good shape - 6’0” and am 190 (so a large frame). I live in central Texas and it is very rocky yet also hard pack dirt. I am also considering the Specialized Stumpjumper 29 ST ($1850). Seems like the Moto is a better bang for the buck but buying from a LBS might be nice for service etc. I don’t expect to get too radical with my riding and will probably ride 3-4 times per month.

Here are the quick Links for both bikes:

SRAM Eagle Full Suspension 29er Mountain Bikes Save Up to 60% Off 29er 120mmTravel All Mountain SRAM Eagle 1x12 , 2019 Motobecane HAL29 NX EAGLE 1X12 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM Eagle 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...oy-29/p/154985

Which one do you all think? I don’t mind a little assembly. Just want a good quality bike that shifts well and has a nice suspension for my aging bones. Appreciate the help!

banned
    Dec 2018
    These bikes look like amazing values. If I had a chance to test ride one, or even read up on a detailed rider review, I would be strongly tempted.

It doesn't help though that all of these rave reviews are from forum members with very low post counts. Also, these bikes are never sent out to members of the bicycle press for review and/or for comparison.

I would remain cautious.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    These bikes look like amazing values. If I had a chance to test ride one, or even read up on a detailed rider review, I would be strongly tempted.

It doesn't help though that all of these rave reviews are from forum members with very low post counts. Also, these bikes are never sent out to members of the bicycle press for review and/or for comparison.

I would remain cautious.
    Appreciate it. I bought the Stumpjumper and am very happy. The LBS support is nice. Agree with the cautious aspect of buying online. Maybe next time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    It doesn't help though that all of these rave reviews are from forum members with very low post counts.
    They're good bikes at a good price. You are the mechanic and that's where a lot of the savings come from. Spend more and you get better, but you need to understand the technology better. I've bought 5 bd bikes over the years, and never had complaints for what I got. You spend $1500 at BD, and you are hands down getting better than you'd get for $1500 at your bike shop. But you better know how to adjust everything.
    Otherwise, you're spending an additional $500 for a complete bike build and repair parts for what you messed up.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"