• 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    Anybody else jonesing for a steel Fantom 29Pro SL?
    Loving the ride of my new steel rigid ss so much that now I want to replace the FS 29er with a rustable hardtail 29er.

Is anybody else holding out for a steel version of the Fantom 29Pro SL?

I sure think it would be a sweet bike.

Bike Island sells a steel frame with no decals and RST fork, but it is a bit of an older design frame with a very high stand over height relative to the frame size and ETT, I sure hope they whip up a new 4130 butted frame with preferably the geometry from the Fly29 Ti frame, the Fantom 29Pro geometry would be good too.

Would love to see it in 2x10 fwiw.

Randy
  • 10-15-2010
    floydlippencott
    How about a Soft Tail with race geo and a Fox fork ?
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    ugh, that really isn't the point of this thread.

steel hard tail 29er Motobecane is on-topic here.
  • 10-15-2010
    floydlippencott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by randyharris
    ugh, that really isn't the point of this thread.

steel hard tail 29er Motobecane is on-topic here.

So sorry , didn't know it was so serious considering it was wishful thinking from the start .
  • 10-15-2010
    AZ
    Soft tail would be great , especially since everyone already does hard tails , hardly ground breaking tech there .
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    I actually asked bikes direct about a steel 29er HT and they told me that one is in the works. But they had no information regarding time line or geometry, only that it would be spec'd with Shimano components, not SRAM.

So while I am wishful that the bike comes equipped and with the geometry that interests me, it is not a pipe dream whatsoever.
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Soft tail would be great , especially since everyone already does hard tails , hardly ground breaking tech there .

We're talking Motobecane here, they're not exactly a ground breaking tech sort of company. They put out very nice bikes that are very well equipped at very competitive prices directly to the customer with no store front. Ground breaking tech is more the forte of the big bike companies marketing departments.
  • 10-15-2010
    AZ
    Hope your not holding your breath . :)
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

btw - while not a 29er, I remember seeing KHS Soft tail MTB's back in the early '90's and I'm sure they weren't the ones who invented it... seems that is hardly ground a breaking tech idea itself.
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

Hope your not holding your breath . :)

Oh, I'm gonna wait this one out for sure.

• 10-15-2010
    fourflys
    Quote:

I actually asked bikes direct about a steel 29er HT and they told me that one is in the works. But they had no information regarding time line or geometry, only that it would be spec'd with Shimano components, not SRAM.

So while I am wishful that the bike comes equipped and with the geometry that interests me, it is not a pipe dream whatsoever.

if you really want a steel 29er, get a Fantom PROSL and but a Vassago to hang the PROSL parts on.... you could have one heck of a steel 29er for around $1500....

me, I'm OK with aluminum for now but may jones for steel in the future...
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fourflys
    if you really want a steel 29er, get a Fantom PROSL and but a Vassago to hang the PROSL parts on.... you could have one heck of a steel 29er for around $1500....

me, I'm OK with aluminum for now but may jones for steel in the future...

Sure but that adds ~ $500 to the price. I'm hoping for a reasonable looking frame from Moto that fits the bill at far closer to the $1k price point. I wouldn't expect it to come in at the same price as the aluminum 29Pro SL price, but I would expect it to come in far closer to that than $1500.

Having said that - I've got no idea what level this bike is to be targeted at. For all we know it could be a $599 bike that is hitting a specific low price point to maximize sales and not cater to those wanting a higher level of components.
  • 10-15-2010
    AZ
    Quote:

Oh, I'm gonna wait this one out for sure.

Nice ....:D
  • 10-15-2010
    AZ
    Quote:

seems that is hardly ground a breaking tech idea itself.

No its not , but it is not widely available either , might be a niche that could do well for B.D. Just wishing out loud .
  • 10-15-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

No its not , but it is not widely available either , might be a niche that could do well for B.D. Just wishing out loud .

Fair enough - I'm just nit picking between the distinction of 'ground breaking' and niche.

To me the Magic Link by Kona is ground breaking. Soft tail is niche.
  • 10-16-2010
    El Dirte
    I'm a bike noob. Would a steel frame just be more rigid vs. the current aluminum frames BD offers?

Is it that noticeable on trails? Its been since I was a kid that I had a steel frame, so I have no point of reference, but my current 29 PRO SL feels great!
  • 10-16-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dirte
    I'm a bike noob. Would a steel frame just be more rigid vs. the current aluminum frames BD offers?

Is it that noticeable on trails? Its been since I was a kid that I had a steel frame, so I have no point of reference, but my current 29 PRO SL feels great!

I don't consider myself the best at noticing changes in my bikes from changing out parts, but I can assure that I feel a world of difference when riding an aluminum non suspended bike compared to a steel non suspended bike. I am in the Phoenix, AZ area and it is rocky and rough here - if you ride smooth trails then I imagine you might not notice much of a difference.
  • 10-16-2010
    randyharris
    Btw - the feeling is more supple over the rough stuff.

There are those that will say it is more frame design than frame material in determining things like this, but in my experience steel is a far better choice than aluminum fir a nin FS bike for ride quality. I don't overly concern myself that it weights a little more because I like it far better. They can't all be runway model waifs.
  • 10-16-2010
    BigSteve in CO
    I'm pretty sure BD had a contest a few months ago to name the bike you're asking for. I just did a [email protected] search for it in the forum, and couldn't find it. Maybe Mike deleted it, or my memory is failing me.
  • 10-18-2010
    h2o-x
    I like my Fantom Pro 29SL geometry a whole lot. I'd like it even better if it were Ti or maybe steel. I do sometimes end the day feeling a little beat up. There was a thread a while back where Mike was talking about making a Ti version of Pro 29SL. I hope that happens.
  • 11-02-2010
    jimbo
    See the other thread about the $200 price jump on the Fantom Elite. Mike talks about a steel 9Iron (pretty cool name) coming out next summer. Should be at the Elite level, but a Pro level should come out later. I'm torn between picking up the no name Bike Island f/f and building it up or waiting for the steel Moto.
  • 11-02-2010
    randyharris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo
    See the other thread about the $200 price jump on the Fantom Elite. Mike talks about a steel 9Iron (pretty cool name) coming out next summer. Should be at the Elite level, but a Pro level should come out later. I'm torn between picking up the no name Bike Island f/f and building it up or waiting for the steel Moto.

if it matters to you, I don't think the frame at Bike Island has a replaceable derailleur hanger. And it has pretty high Stand Over for the frame sizes. Neither one of those works for me.
  • 11-16-2010
    CS2
    Quote:

if it matters to you, I don't think the frame at Bike Island has a replaceable derailleur hanger. And it has pretty high Stand Over for the frame sizes. Neither one of those works for me.

You mean the steel frame 29er? Most steel frames I've seen don't have a replaceable hanager. The rear dropouts are usually forged. They can be bent back if you crash the bike. Not so on AL or CF.
  • 11-19-2010
    CuzinMike
    I'd be all into a steel 29er, but I don't think it would make a ton of business sense for BD to offer one if it's otherwise identical to the existing Fantom Pro SL (of which I own and love).

However, I do think it would be cool if they would offer a steel 29er that was more "trail" and less XC, as in shorter chainstays, slacker head angle, and a sloped top tube for more standover. Just basically a bomb-proof trail bike that's light enough for recreational XC, but a little more nimble and up to the occasional "all mountain" ride. Basically, something in the vein of the Banshee Paradox or Canfield Yelli Screamy, only in steel and at a BD price....
  • 11-19-2010
    flymybike
    Sound's like a Canfield Nimble 9.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/products/nimble-9