Any regrets buying an internet bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Any regrets buying an internet bike?

I'm looking hard at the Sturgis Bullet fat bike. One of the concerns I have, though, is all the forum talk about LBSs not wanting to service bikes bought online.

Anyone regret having bought a BikesDirect bike because of maintenance issues, or any other issues for that matter?

mtbr member
    My lbs would work on it, but some snobby ones won't, or they will give you grief and charge more. Just go to a different lbs. I would recommend learning to fix it up yourself though. It's not hard, especially with YouTube videos.

Regrets are less resale value and a little more difficult to sell, but if you plan on keeping it, not a problem. Performance wise, I'm happy. Comparable to entry level lbs bike with some upgraded parts. Frame, wheel hubs, seat post, handle bar, and stem are usually entry to mid level quality. Heavy but bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I do look forward to learning to do maintenance and upgrades myself, but the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. So I'll need a reliable mechanic for some time to come, I'm sure. Thanks for responding.

mtbr member
    Just looked at the specs. As long as you don't try to tear into the bluto fork, everything else is standard bike stuff. It really is easy to work on them. Just make sure you get the right tools. Cresent wrenchs are not spoke wrenches.

FYI, comparison of some of the cost saving measures of the Sturgis Bullet vs. a comparable LBS bike. End of day, it all adds weight.

Spokes on the bullet are straight 14 gauge spokes with brass nipples. LBS bikes would probably used butted spokes for a little weight saving.

The hub on the bullet will have a steel freehub, while some LBS bikes will have an aluminum freehub for weight savings. Personally, I'd rather have the steel freehub if it's paired with a cassette that doesn't have a full aluminum carrier. If you've ever gouged an aluminum freehub with a cassette, you'll appreciate a steel freehub.

Samox crankset. It's OK. same as used on the base level specialized fatboy. On comparable bikes with a bluto, they'll probably have raceface or other wide cranksets. I'd check if any other external bearing bottom brackets are compatible with a samox crankset. The crankset should last for a while, but the bearings might give out faster than a SRAM GXP or shimano hollowtech. I know Lasco cranksets with work with SRAM GXP bottom brackets if you use a spacer. Easy upgrade when the stock bearings go out.

Weinman HL80 rims. Low buck fat bike rims. I have them on my boris. Good strong rims, but not light. They are also a pain to setup tubeless. For a lot of thorns, you'll probably want to stick with tubes and green slime.

Tektro draco brakes. I don't know why they'd put tektro dracos on a bike with a bluto. The association with tektro novelas makes them seem cheap. They should have gone with cheap shimano or SRAM hydraulics.

X5 shifters?, why not X7.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    watts888 ... Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I'm looking at different specs for a few of the components that you mentioned (link below - bottom of page). Not sure if these change your opinions.

Save up to 60% off new Rockshox Bluto Equipped Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Sturgis Bullet 2x10 SRAM

The other bike I'm considering (because it can be purchased from an LBS OR discounted online for about 8% less) is the Framed Minnesota 3.0. I'm told the components don't stack up with those of the Sturgis Bullet, so I've got to decide which is more important.

Framed Minnesota 3.0 XWT Fat Bike w/ Alloy and Bluto Fork 2015

mtbr member
    Dificult to say which is better, because they all have good points and bad points. The minnesota will be very comparable to the 2015 sturgis bullet. Same cheap wheelset. cheaper bottom bracket and crankset. Better tires and brakes

The 2016 sturgis has tubeless rims and a better crankset, but I'm not sure the extra $200 justifies it. If you have plans on going tubeless, definately worth it from a hassle standpoint. If you planned on using tubes, I'd stick with the 2015.

mtbr member
    I vote the Sturgis based on the wheelset. I'd also give the nod to the sturgis on the crankset, bb, and I like the gearing better for snow with the 11-36 cassette. Other than that they're pretty comparable. If you want to support your LBS go the framed route, although I doubt that model is $1549 at your lbs...maybe it is.

FWIW I bought online and have zero regrets. Assuming you're comfortable doing the easy maintenance yourself and confident in the sizing I'd say go for it.

EDIT: Also, I'm not seeing the price difference. After shipping the Sturgis is actually $100 cheaper??? Maybe I'm missing something.