Any big boys riding a Fantom Team?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Any big boys riding a Fantom Team?

I'm going to give myself a Fantom Team for Xmas. Just wondered what other owners, especially 'Clydes', thought about their bikes.
    FYI, I'm 6' 1" around 220# and I'm pretty hard on bikes. My present bike is an '01 Spec Rockhopper A1 . It's taken a licking and keeps on ticking. But it's got Mavic 517s laced to Shimano XT hubs with some double-butted joints. VERY strong and I might've had to true 'em twice in >5 years. Just wondering about the Vuelta XRP stuff that comes stock.
    If anything, maybe I'll just throw some slicks on the Vuelta wheels and use those for commuting/road work and get myself some DT 5.1s or Mavic 721/XTs for the dirt.
    And what's the deal with the Reba Team fork? I'm guessing it's gotta be a huge improvement over my '01 (stock) RS Judy Special. Hey, if it ain't broke...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this bike. I'll post up some pics when I get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So...no one else, on these forums, owns a Fantom Team huh?
    Thanks anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I do not own one, but there are a few people who do. It is a fairly expensive bike as far as Motobecanes are concerned, so there aren't too many of them out there. But to be fair, your question in your title was "Any big boys". So that is why you may not be getting many repsonses.

I will give you my opinion. I just put together a Fantom Trail DS which uses the same frame. The frame is NOT a lightweight frame. It is a tank. With the KS coil shock on the Trail version the 20" frame weighed 7.7lbs. I am sure the Team, with an air shock, is lighter but it still is not a flyweight frame. So I would say no worries there, it is strong. The only thing in the spec to be woried about is the wheels. I own two sets of these wheels, I come in at 190lbs. I ride mostly XC, but I can tell you these wheels are very strong. Not jumping and hucking strong, but they are strong. So I guess how you plan to use your bike would determine whether they will hold up. But if you are getting a Fantom Team I would not expect you to be doing anything to crazy like 5 ft. drops but maybe I am wrong. The only thing I don't like about the wheels is the freehub is noisy, but this isn't a big deal. The tires and tubes are worthless (they are the same as the ones that came on my Fly). The tires really measure about 1.75" and the tubes are paper thin, so at your weight you would have to pump them up pretty high to avoid pinch flats. So plan on getting some real tires and tubes, which will add about a pound to the bike. Also the road cassette might not be enough gear for someone of your weight if you are going up a lot of steep hills. The Reba Team fork is strong and nice, and yes it is light years better than a Judy.

Overall the Fantom Team is a sweet bike, but is not really rideable as is unless you are a die hard weight weenie. Plan on the bike weighing close to 27 lbs once you have it set up for real mountain biking.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith

I will give you my opinion. I just put together a Fantom Trail DS which uses the same frame. The frame is NOT a lightweight frame. It is a tank. With the KS coil shock on the Trail version the 20" frame weighed 7.7lbs. I am sure the Team, with an air shock, is lighter but it still is not a flyweight frame.
    ljsmith,

I just bought a 18" Team frame (waiting for it to be delivered). It's not clear to me from reading your post. Is the Team frame the same as the Trail DS in design, material and weight, or is it the same design in a lighter weight material than the Trail DS? I'd actually be happy with it if my build comes in at 27-30# since my 600DS weighs in at 33# and there's not a whole lot of fat left to trim off it without buying a budget stressing wheelset and forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L in NYC
    I'm going to give myself a Fantom Team for Xmas. Just wondered what other owners, especially 'Clydes', thought about their bikes.
    FYI, I'm 6' 1" around 220# and I'm pretty hard on bikes. My present bike is an '01 Spec Rockhopper A1 . It's taken a licking and keeps on ticking. But it's got Mavic 517s laced to Shimano XT hubs with some double-butted joints. VERY strong and I might've had to true 'em twice in >5 years. Just wondering about the Vuelta XRP stuff that comes stock.
    If anything, maybe I'll just throw some slicks on the Vuelta wheels and use those for commuting/road work and get myself some DT 5.1s or Mavic 721/XTs for the dirt.
    And what's the deal with the Reba Team fork? I'm guessing it's gotta be a huge improvement over my '01 (stock) RS Judy Special. Hey, if it ain't broke...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this bike. I'll post up some pics when I get it.
    Let us know how you like it. I just bought the Team frame and weigh 225 @ 5'9 so I'd like to get your impressions since it hasn't arrived yet and I still have to swap everything over when it does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitzhym
    ljsmith,

I just bought a 18" Team frame (waiting for it to be delivered). It's not clear to me from reading your post. Is the Team frame the same as the Trail DS in design, material and weight, or is it the same design in a lighter weight material than the Trail DS? I'd actually be happy with it if my build comes in at 27-30# since my 600DS weighs in at 33# and there's not a whole lot of fat left to trim off it without buying a budget stressing wheelset and forks.
    All Fantom DS bikes use the exact same frame. The only difference is the paint, decals and the shock. The Team will be lighter than the Trail since the Trail's coil shock is pretty heavy. But the Team is not a lightweight frame. The only reason it comes in so light as a complete bike is that they use a whole lot of expensive/light parts, 345g tires, 90g tubes and a road cassette. Once you swap the tires,tubes and cassette out for "real" mountain bike parts the bike would probably be around 27lbs. If you are just swapping the parts from your 600DS over to the Fantom Team frame, do not expect it to be light, since the 600DS parts are pretty heavy. You will be lucky if it comes out to 30 pounds. I would expect 31 or 32.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    All Fantom DS bikes use the exact same frame. The only difference is the paint, decals and the shock. The Team will be lighter than the Trail since the Trail's coil shock is pretty heavy. But the Team is not a lightweight frame. The only reason it comes in so light as a complete bike is that they use a whole lot of expensive/light parts, 345g tires, 90g tubes and a road cassette. Once you swap the tires,tubes and cassette out for "real" mountain bike parts the bike would probably be around 27lbs. If you are just swapping the parts from your 600DS over to the Fantom Team frame, do not expect it to be light, since the 600DS parts are pretty heavy. You will be lucky if it comes out to 30 pounds. I would expect 31 or 32.
    Well, since the only original parts on my 600DS are the frame, handle bar grips and crank set (modified to single speed), I may just make that desired weight!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    @ ljsmith: Thanks for the response. Good info.
    I'm definitely not a weight weenie. My Rockhopper has gotta weigh around 32 lbs. The way I'm looking at it, if I can get MUCH better components (XTR, Avid Carbon hydros, etc.), up to 5" of travel front & rear AND lose a few pounds... I can't ask for more.
    I'll probably ride the stock wheels for a while and see how they play out. I'm not a hucker but I will hit the occasional 2-3' drop. We'll see how they hold up.
    The tires I'll replace with Panaracer Fire XC Pros right off the bat, so no worries there.
    The cassette I'll have to replace. No way some lightweight roadie cassette is holding up to me stomping on those pedals. Plus, I'd like a bigger max cog in the rear.

@ damnitzhym: I will definitely be posting pics and a mini-review when I get the bike.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    where did you buy your Team frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontgomery
    where did you buy your Team frame?
    ebay. Please, don't ask "How much?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm hoping you guys can help me out with something.
    Check out this pic:

You can see daylight between the rocker (black) and the seatstay/swingarm. You can see metal in that gap.
    I'm wondering if those are washers. Which wouldn't be a big deal.
    Or are those the bushings? If so, I see the potential for a little side-to-side movement which could (and probably will) turn into a lot of side-to-side play.
    Figured I'd ask you guys before I bother Moto/BD.

Anyway, the more LBS' I go to, the more I'm sure the Fantom team is for me.
    I checked out a Giant Trance X2 (a really nice bike) but they want $2200 + tax. Another place had an '09 Spec. Stumpjumper FSR Elite for $2100 + tax.
    Nice bikes but they're way heavier and use components 2 or 3 steps down from the FT. Like SLX vs. XTR or Avid Elixir 5s vs. Elixir CRs.
    Just felt like rambling...

Now all I gotta do is get me a bike.

mtbr member
    Finally done! Can't wait to ride her. 600DS now retired!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any big boys riding a Fantom Team?-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Have to ask!

HAHA I just bought one on ebay as well. How much did you pay? sorry but had to ask. What all came with the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBERMISS
    HAHA I just bought one on ebay as well. How much did you pay? sorry but had to ask. What all came with the frame?
    Team frame, Monarch 4.2 shock and seatpost for a "bit" less than Bikeisland wants for a Trail DS w/ KS coil over shock. Maiden voyage is a night ride tomorrow after work.

I hate the Monarch.Can't get sag below 30% @ 5" travel position (I'm a 230# Clyde). I've already ordered a MC3.3 so I can lock out the rear. Love the MC3.3 on my Fuji Outland; much better shock for me.

Enjoy your Fantom!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Great Buy on The Fantom Team

I paid less then $200 for the 20" Fantom Team with the Monarch 4.2, plus the seller threw in a upgrade to a King Ceramic Headset. So, I was lucky to get mine for such a great price. Haven't put it together yet, so let me know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBERMISS
    I paid less then $200 for the 20" Fantom Team with the Monarch 4.2, plus the seller threw in a upgrade to a King Ceramic Headset. So, I was lucky to get mine for such a great price. Haven't put it together yet, so let me know how it rides.
    First thing I noticed is the weight difference. It's only 2lbs lighter than the 600DS it replaced but it feels even lighter than that. Mine weighs in right around 30lbs.

the Monarch 4.2 would be perfect if it had a lockout position. The rear shock soaked up ever root and rock smoothly, but the pedal bob is a killer when climbing. Locking out the front fork without the ability to lock out the rear is almost useless. My MC3.3 arrived today. As soon as I can get proper mounting hardware , the Monarch is gone

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Just finished the Team Build

I just finished the bike but didn't add a bunch of the new things I've bought for it. Instead of breaking down my Fantom Trail HT I decided to build the Team from new and used parts I had lying around. However a bunch of the parts I had were pretty light so mine without the front derailleur weighs 27.1 pounds which is about 2 pounds heavier then my HT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So no bike yet... I guess Santa got lost on his way to my house.

Anyway, I'll almost certainly be picking up a Moto this month.

But now I'm leaning more toward the Fantom Pro DS.
    The thing that's really bothering me about the Team is the cassette. I know its not a huge deal but why do they put a road cassette on a ~$2,000 MTB?!
    I'm guessing it's to keep weight down but it's pretty stupid to have to upgrade (>$50) right out of the box.

The Fantom Pro is no slouch. It's got a rock-solid component spec.
    You miss out on some carbon goodies (brakes/cranks) but it IS cheaper so I'll have a couple of bucks left over to buy some bling. Heck, maybe a new wheelset...

I'll keep you guys posted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bump for a fun thread.
    Big L, did you get your Fantom? Do tell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bump

Bump as I cannot Seem to find a lot of reviews or threads on the FT.
    damnitzhym, what were the final specs on the bushings for that MC 3.3 on the FT?
    Big L? What did you end up with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kzsteve
    damnitzhym, what were the final specs on the bushings for that MC 3.3 on the FT?
    Since my Fuji Outland RC came with the MC3.3, I ordered a hardware kit through my local Performance Bicycle. All of the hardware matched except the upper spacers (circled in photo). I trimmed the upper spacers that came with the Monarch 4.2. Probably better to source hardware from BD, but I love improvising.
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Right on.

Did the new MC 3.3 fix the bobbing?

What are the differences btw the two shocks on the TEAM?

I wonder if anyone asked BD about the Monarch's inability to stop the pedal induced bobbing? Anyone care to pipe in about any BD warranty claims concerning this?

Man, no more clydes riding these bikes? But no complaints of clydes breaking them either I guess.

It's an XC bike and that's what I'm looking for. I just hate to take a $2100 (BD shop in JAX so I pay taxes) chance to find out only to have to upgrade parts right off the bat. I guess I wouldn't "have" to upgrade. I could learn to love the pedal induced bob. j/k

Keep the details and updates rollin in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kzsteve
    Right on.

Did the new MC 3.3 fix the bobbing?

What are the differences btw the two shocks on the TEAM?

I wonder if anyone asked BD about the Monarch's inability to stop the pedal induced bobbing? Anyone care to pipe in about any BD warranty claims concerning this?

Man, no more clydes riding these bikes? But no complaints of clydes breaking them either I guess.

It's an XC bike and that's what I'm looking for. I just hate to take a $2100 (BD shop in JAX so I pay taxes) chance to find out only to have to upgrade parts right off the bat. I guess I wouldn't "have" to upgrade. I could learn to love the pedal induced bob. j/k

Keep the details and updates rollin in.
    The MC3.3 can be locked out which was why I opted for it. I've since learned that the Monarch 4.2 comes in different levels of tune (A, B or C - I think there are only 3 levels), and the Team comes with A tune - A is the softest. At 235lbs, B tune was recommended for me by another rider who seemed to be familiar with Monarchs, but I already purchased the MC3.3. However, he insisted that when set up properly the B tune would nearly eliminate bob. Who knows for sure?

For ease of access to the air valve, I mounted the MC3.3 upside down. I don't find the lower position of the lock-out lever a problem.
    >>"Every chance I get!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Great info!

I'll have to give Craig a call over at BD at SJTC here in JAX to see if the Monarch can be swapped before delivery or what my options would be.

Thanks damnitzhym.

Please excuse the high jack OP.

Members who have read this thread: 0