Another noob asking about a used bike.. yeah.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Another noob asking about a used bike.. yeah.

Hello

Thank you for clicking!

I'm bike shopping, ready to graduate from dept. store bikes but not yet ready to spend real cash.

Found this bike for sale online http://img14.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bike4t.jpg - seller claims it is an "older motobecane x frame" but I haven't been able to find any information about it online.

Anyone know what model bike that is, anything about it? It's $80 which is definitely in my price range

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    After more hunting around... looks like maybe a 10 year old 500DS? Sounds like it could be a good bike for the money. Any advice still appreciated!

Thanks

No-Brakes Cougar
    Unless the shocks and drivetrain components are shot, it's almost worth it for $80. Not sure what parts were spec'd for that particular model, and I'm not sure what style of riding you intend on doing but it's probably going to be at least a little improvement over your department store bike!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Unless the shocks and drivetrain components are shot, it's almost worth it for $80. Not sure what parts were spec'd for that particular model, and I'm not sure what style of riding you intend on doing but it's probably going to be at least a little improvement over your department store bike!
    Thanks! Makes me feel a bit better, at minimum if I don't enjoy it, should be able to re-sell for about the same. One of my co-workers says "the mavic wheels are worth that price by themselves" .. heh, so much for me to learn!!!

I'm looking forward to hopefully keeping up with some of you guys in here... eventually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Got it

OK, got it,

The bike turned out to be a 700DS and the fork has been replaced with a RST Gila T4, along with what look like a small handful of other changes/updates.

I like the way it feels but the fork is really soft and as some others on this forum indicated (when I searched) - I shouldn't expect much from the Gila T4. Adjusting the knobs from full lock left to full lock right doesn't do much at all. Darn.

Anyway here's a photo & also a photo of what it replaced.

http://img7.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=photo0149v.jpg

No-Brakes Cougar
    Heh heh, good ol' RST. Can't get the pic to load. Maybe the server is just busy. Anyway, it sounds like one hell of a deal. Have fun with it!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0