another bike fitting question: Moto Fantom 29er Pro SL 19" vs 21"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Moto Fantom 29er Pro SL Sizing -> Purchase -> Thoughts

So I'm trying to decide on the Fantom's frame size for me. The wrench science site suggested a 19" frame (see below). At rei, the ponderosa 29er in XL has a similar size to the 21" fantom. More importantly, it felt pretty good.

I would use the bike to commute to work and back w/ some gnarly SF hills in the way and long/fast/windy paved downhill on wet dewy/foggy roads (radar detector has clocked bikes going more than 35). And will try to get to off road some single track on weekends.

What will be the pros & cons between 19/21? I'll probably visit some local shops this weekend to try out more bikes, but this fit thing is going to drive me crazy all week.

wrench science

Your Measurements
    Height: 75.00 in
    Sternum Notch: 62.25 in
    Inseam Length: 35.00 in
    Arm Length: 27.50 in
    Shoulder Width: 22.00 in
    Flexiblity: 9
    Weight: 230.00 lbs
    Foot Size: 13.00 USMens

WS Recommended Sizes
    Frame Size center-to-center: 19 in
    Frame Size center-to-top: 20 in
    Overall Reach: 73.54 cm
    Saddle Height: 78.50 cm
    Handlebar Width: 46 cm
    Last edited by aaalllen; 09-04-2010 at 12:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Go with the 21"...that's what I got and I'm about your size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lastnight, I pulled the trigger on the 21". I rode a lot of bikes locally and kept flopping around w/ this, waiting for the TI or some other FS 29er choices.

Near future upgrade thoughts:
    * ergon gx3's from my other bike
    * combo platform/spd pedals... what are the "mountain pedals" like?
    * handlebars? I hear they're narrow and I'm broad shouldered w/ long arms
    * maybe the seat from my old bike

Future upgrades: ther people have suggested stem/seat/cranks, too, but I'll try it out and decide from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice buy! I've had mine for a couple weeks now and a couple observations:

The handlbar seems fine to me. I'm also a big guy (6'4", 230). The pedals are your basic junk platforms that remind me of what I rode on as a kid on my BMX. The seat is ok, but its a little narrow, especially for us taller/bigger guys.

Great bike as is. On mine I've noticed a that both wheels aren't true, the deraillers needs adjusting, and when I brake hard in the front I get a little bit of a "click" from either the headset or...? Its tightened down, so maybe that's how its supposed to be. You'll also need to get yourself a shock pump and probably add or adjust your air in your fork.

Upgrades I've done so far:
    Shimano P540 clipless pedals
    Lizard Skins chainstay protector

Planned upgrades:
    None planned at the moment

Planned purchases:
    Osprey Manta 20 hydration pack

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was thinking of the shimano m324s or m647s. I'll probably do an initial build, see how that goes and then go to a lbs for an inspection or tune if i have to. i've got the shock pump for an older bike and I was an early adopter for hydration backpacks though i don't have an osprey.

how bad would the damage be w/o a chainstay protector? or is it a better safe than sorry thing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I dont think it would be bad w/o the chain protector. It comes with a little adhesive one, but it doesn't look like it will stick for very long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    woohoo... it arrived... about 1.5-2 hours of methodical setup over beers w/ coworkers on a friday afternoon. lots of repeated conversations with everyone passing by, too (ooh, new bike... yup... tell me about it.. blah blah blah)

a short ride in the presidio and it didn't fall apart =)

a few random thoughts:
    * the 21" 29er feels more balanced/lighter than my 1997 18" frame 26" wheeled kona cinder cone. it fits me so much better, too.
    * something feels funny w/ the handlebars or grips... maybe they're too narrow for me. i'll play w/ the angle first.
    * elixir cr! the front brake pull has 2x the pull length over the rear... more room to finesse the pull, but i might get to meet in the middle. i thought there would be a dial to play w/, but didn't see one on setup
    * two little black cylinder w/ holes in the middle. i'll guess they were the spacers in the fork that gave the extra 20mm.

left the bike locked up at work, headed to a bar and home 5 hours later after time in a bar.
    * the branding was under the clear coat and i don't think i'll be able to remove them... but the bike looks pretty good
    * my needle nose's cutters were way dull and i ended up fraying the poplock wire
    * bb5s had a red dial on the housing to control the pad distance... the elixir manual says that the distance control is near the level.
    * the clydes forum suggested 160 shock pressures.
    * my pop lock was on the right and it fit under the gear indicator
    * i'm so glad i didn't listen to the LBS guys who kept pushing for me to buy 19" 29ers cause that's what they had in stock
    Last edited by aaalllen; 09-04-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0