Almost no bikes left at bikesdirect- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Almost no bikes left at bikesdirect

Wow went to bikesdirect to recommend a bike for a friend and they have very few 29ers. Anyone know when they might get new stock?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Send them an email. It varies by the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Green Wrencher
    Some people try knocking BD, but for some reason they just can't keep them on the shelves...

I like my Gravity.5

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Its an unfortunate compromise, great pricing means stock sells out quick!

I couldn't be happier with my MOTO Fantom Pro29

mtbr member
    I am still happy with my Fantom Pro 29 SL. It handles and ride great, but I wish the frame was actually super light. It's about a pound heavier than it could be, especially compared to the Sette Razzo or Niner EMD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yea i saw that a lot are out of stock and there doesnt seam to be a date when they will be restocked im guessing mike would know

Rollin 29s
    My Fly Ti 29er is one of the best bikes I've owned. Definitely has the best handling, ride quality and workmanship on the frame build. Super fun and fast bike.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x View Post
    I am still happy with my Fantom Pro 29 SL. It handles and ride great, but I wish the frame was actually super light. It's about a pound heavier than it could be, especially compared to the Sette Razzo or Niner EMD.
    Is this killing your lap times?

mtbr member
    Slee_Stack, you guys on the forums who grow "distance balls" and make smart ass remarks from behind your computer screens amuse me. I always wonder if it is precipitated by frustration and a lack of empowerment in your real life outside of the internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you snooze you lose. I finally made the decision to get the 2011 Fantom pro (21in). I was first waiting to see the FS 29er and after looking at the dimensions and components, it was just was not the right bike for me. Went out to order and they were sold out. Thought I would buy something else in that price range ($900-$1400) and BD is totally sold out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    my lbs is currently being flooded out by the river so i went to bikesdirect. they were sold out of everything in my price range (i already have top shelf components from my 26er, base model is fine) so i found a motobecane on bikeisland. used, but the price is right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Yeah, we should all just stop caring about bike weight. In fact lets try to make our bikes heavier since it obviously does not affect our "lap times".
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    I totally agree with you. We should just buy bikes with lead frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Yeah, we should all just stop caring about bike weight. In fact lets try to make our bikes heavier since it obviously does not affect our "lap times".
    Quote Originally Posted by zmu98 View Post
    I totally agree with you. We should just buy bikes with lead frames.
    You are correct!! We all should just focus on bike weight and forgot about anything of real world value on it...including the cost!!

Balsa wood bike FTW!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New Sram XO/X9 Moto Fly Ti29ers in

Found this in my inbox this morning. Don't sleep on it!!! There's more to the message, including links to the actual bikes in stock, I didn't paste the entire email. There's Moto/Sram Ti29ers and Gravity 29ers. That's all I took notice of. I'm actually looking to drop on a Moto/Shimano kitted 29er but none of those were included in this most recent re-up. Good luck!

INSTOCK ALERT: Track, 29er, Comfort and Road Bikes, Titanium 29er Fr
    Posted by: "Mike" bikesdirectbikes(at)yahoo(dot)com bikesdirectbikes
    Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:58 pm (PDT)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had procrastinated on buying a Gravity 29.2 had to wait several weeks until it was back in stock, and I bought it right away. Don't wait, if you see it, buy it!

mtbr member
    This is what I did. Saw that the Ti frame was low on stock, so I snatched one up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I can't pull the trigger. Everyone's trying to talk me out of a Motobecane

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I pulled the trigger on a Fantom 29pro on clearance for 695 last night. Better components than anything in the price range. If needed, I'll buy a different frame in a year or two. No worries! So stoked on getting it. Tuesday can't come fast enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    I can't pull the trigger. Everyone's trying to talk me out of a Motobecane
    Why are they trying to talk you out of a Motobecane?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rdickens48 View Post
    Why are they trying to talk you out of a Motobecane?
    The bike shop guy, who admitted that he'd rather sell me a bike, said the frame isn't any good and the overall package isn't as great as it looks. He admitted that it had great stuff on there though for the price.
    He's trying to sell me a Specialized Camber Elite. It's a nice bike but it'd cost more than the Motobecane. The one I'm looking at is the 2011 Motobecane Fantom PRO DS.

mtbr member
    slee-stack, wielding his sword of satire, said:

You are correct!! We all should just focus on bike weight and forgot about anything of real world value on it...including the cost!!

Balsa wood bike FTW!!

Bike weight, or lack there of, has a "real world value" and is a legitimate focus when considering bikes. Accoding to your profile you do not own a mountain bike, yet. I suspect that you'll take weight into consideration when you eventually purchase one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Don't get taken! Save your loot!!!

The bike shop guy, who admitted that he'd rather sell me a bike, said the frame isn't any good and the overall package isn't as great as it looks. He admitted that it had great stuff on there though for the price.
    He's trying to sell me a Specialized Camber Elite. It's a nice bike but it'd cost more than the Motobecane. The one I'm looking at is the 2011 Motobecane Fantom PRO DS.
    Funny! My LBS guy was very frank and outwardly impressed the 2011 Motobecane Fantom 29Pro. I took the bike in to have the WTB Lazerdisc Trial 29ers wheels re-tensioned after 1 month of riding;cost $12.00.
    He said the frame was basic but looked very sound. He went on and on, practically raving about the component parts group installed. I agreed with him on all accounts. He's an authorized Trek, Giant, and Raliegh dealer. He also had several new Specialized road bikes, but I didn't see any actual signs naming them a dealer.

I told him how BD compares the 29Pro to the Trek Paragon and he agreed, pulling one off the shelf to do a side by side. It had lower componentry with SRAM X7 triggers, X9 Rear Derailler with a Shimano SLX front. There was a Fox fork w/o a remote lockout and everthing else was some low level Bontrager stuff that was also on the lesser priced models. He was asking over $2000 for that bike, I think $2050 exactly. The bike was/is setup very much like the Fantom 29Pro, but was a smaller 17inch. The welds of the frame and overall quality and look were identical. Oh yeah, the crankset on the trek was a Shimano and the it had Elixir 5 brakes.
    He shook his as he compared components head to head! He said there was no way he could match or come close the 29Pro for under $2700. I paid my $12 bucks + tax for the re-tension and left his store smiling ear to ear!

I bought a top of the line ($800) Stainless Samsung Dishwasher from LOWES resale/repair shelf earlier this year for $250.00 in perfect condition with a full 12 month warranty! I thought that was my best purchase of the year. This Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er with XT/XTR front rear Deraillers XT triggers/AvidElixirCR/FSA Afterburner Crank/RitcheyStem,Post,Bars/WTB LaserDisc Trail/ RockShox Reba with PopLoc/Kenda Small Block 8s/WTB seat, super light Kinesium Frame. This.....This tops even that!

Don't be fooled. Buy it first, compare it directly to his offering. There'll be no comparison.....AND HE KNOWS IT !!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Theyve got quite a few 29ers in stock now, it all depends on the size you want. Usually the mid ranged sell fastest since thats pretty much the median in human development.

And i honestly cant see the evils of motobecane/gravity bikes. Ive seen people bashing and sticking their necks out for the lines in multiple threads, i guess its all just dependent upon how strongly you get attached and how much you're willing to spend on a bike. Personally, I'm in the market for a mid tier mountain bike and Ive really gotten to like the gravity .3/.4's and the Moto fantom elite. Cant decide between this three way tie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How does BD aluminium frame bikes they sell compare to their titanium?

My Brain Hurts!
    The Bike Shop Guy. He is hardly "Everyone" And don't go looking to get opinions from the guy who just dropped 2700 on a bike and got a lower end component set and cheaper parts than you did. You just made his "dream bike" stink a little like old fish. Of course he might run yours down. And Heaven help you if you talk to a brand Fanboy...

Every person has their opinions and has their right to them. But the Bike Shop Guy has a direct conflict of interests to coming out and saying you got a good deal. Some will, some won't. remember the old fish comment? Your Bike Shop Guy sees he lost the profit on a bike sale to you.

He sells bikes doesn't he? And to top it off her cannot in anyway compete with the prices from BD. Where he can get into the ring is with service and parts and accessories after the sale.

Try to find a good bike shop and be a good customer. These guys service bikes bought from other places all the time and your bike should be no different. A smart shop owner will always look to be your service, parts accessories guy, no matter where the bike came from.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Car5469 View Post
    How does BD aluminium frame bikes they sell compare to their titanium?
    A shot in the dark here, the BD titanium bikes will most likely compare to the BD aluminum bikes in the same manner as any other brand or stores bikes would.

There are differences in the performance of Titanium and aluminum, no matter where they come from.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    yeah its completely stupid how often and how much they are sold out of items.
    u can never buy a 16" 18"

i cant tell u who many times ive had a couple beers and decided to buy a bike.. low and behold they were sold out..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This is the most frustrating part of dealing with Bikes Direct is the long wait. I had to wait 5 months for my purchase for my particular bike - Cafe Century Pro. It's worth the wait though!

Members who have read this thread: 0